spindle swap - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 15, 4:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ken

spindle swap

ok - so in many places I have read that one can swap the 68-72 spindles into my 1967 chevelle
So I traded for a complete setup from a 68 car

get it home and realize two things - the 68 spindles are one piece and my 67 are two piece as the steering arm bolts on
the second thing is that there is about an 1 /14" difference in the length of the steering arms with the 68 being longer than the 67s

so I guess I need to know if the spindles will in fact bolt onto my ball joints and if the longer steering arms are going to cause a steering issue? Seems to me it would take more steering box turns to get the same turning ??\
Is there enough adjustment in the tie rods for the extra length?
For sure I will need a front end alignment?

Help
thanks
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 15, 7:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
Thomas

Garage
Re: spindle swap

If your "68 spindles" are one piece they are not 68-72 chevelle. The 69-72 spindles are like the 67-68 drum spindles with the exception of the top bolt that holds the caliper bracket. That bolt hole is taller on the drum brake spindle. You can grind about 3/4" off and use them with 69-72 disc brakes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Carolina Chevelle Association
TC # 688
ACES 2759
PeachState Chevelles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 malibu wagon, 327, AC, pw.
67 chevelle 300 deluxe post, LT1-4L60E, 3:36-10 bolt posi,AC,tilt,pw,pl, Autometer gauges,custom dash
67 300 Deluxe, factory AC, project

"I think we have more machinery of government than is necessary,
too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious."
--Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Ludlow, 1824
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 15, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

All 64-72 Chevelle spindles had bolt on steering arms, if yours don't, they're not.

72 Chevelle SS conv

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 3:54 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

sounds like he has Camaro spindles.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 10:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dave

. . . . . . or B-body.

Dave
USAF Retired (1968-1988)
UTC Aerospace Systems, Space Systems International - Retired (1989-2014)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 10:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

will Camaro spindles work for this swap ? a friend wanted to give me some from a '72 camaro for my 68 el co swap but they looked completely different.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 15, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Garage

Ken the spindles you received may not work. If GM the ball joint tapers are different, steering arms too long and will be a lot of work to use. If aftermarket the rotors and calipers will be G body parts, 10" rotors and small calipers.
Try and get your old ones back. Like Thomas said the ones you had are easily converted to disc spindles by machining some material off the top bolt boss. Spindles with the steering arms cast in are either GM or after market.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 15, 11:59 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcamino66 View Post
If your "68 spindles" are one piece they are not 68-72 chevelle. The 69-72 spindles are like the 67-68 drum spindles with the exception of the top bolt that holds the caliper bracket. That bolt hole is taller on the drum brake spindle. You can grind about 3/4" off and use them with 69-72 disc brakes
Thomas, so you are saying I could swap the spindles et al from a 69-72 onto my '65 El Camino and have a "Factory" front disc brake upgrade?
Rock auto research tells me that the Ball joints are the same, tie rods are same to '70, but didn't check beyond that.
( taking in to consideration Master cylinder, proportioning valve etc.)
As far as cutting / grinding / machining down the top boss to accommodate disc brakes vice drums.... I have done this before (on a '67 Nova, It works)

What you do today dictates how fast you go Tomorrow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 15, 1:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS65 View Post
Thomas, so you are saying I could swap the spindles et al from a 69-72 onto my '65 El Camino and have a "Factory" front disc brake upgrade?
Rock auto research tells me that the Ball joints are the same, tie rods are same to '70, but didn't check beyond that.
( taking in to consideration Master cylinder, proportioning valve etc.)
As far as cutting / grinding / machining down the top boss to accommodate disc brakes vice drums.... I have done this before (on a '67 Nova, It works)
Not Thomas, but yes you could either swap to the 69-72 disc brake spindle, or modify the top boss of your current drum brake spindles and then use the rest of the 69-72 disc parts to switch to disc brakes.
Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 15, 4:14 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
sounds like he has Camaro spindles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bates View Post
. . . . . . or B-body.
or 78 and newer "metric" spindles... or aftermarket spindles, perhaps even lowering spindles that use the smaller "metric" rotor and matching caliper...

if they are dimensionally the same as the drum spindles, then throw them on and use them. if they are different, then make your existing drum spindles into disc spindles and either use a reproduction caliper bracket from www.piratejack.net with rotors, bearings, seals, and calipers from your favorite local parts store for a 70 Chevelle or get rotors, calipers, and brackets for something like a 98-02 Camaro (99 and newer Grand Prix use the same rotors with single piston cast iron calipers, too) if you want something a little more modern..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1511 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.