Steering wheel shake - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Steering wheel shake

Long story but here goes. Between 37 and 43 mph my steering wheel shakes back and forth. Its not real bad but the wheel will move about 1/2" back and forth pretty rapidly it, does it at steady speed or accelerating or decelerating. As soon as I bought the car 5 years ago I changed to front disk brakes and replaced everything in the front steering and suspension, everything except the steering box. I cant say for sure if the car did this when I first bought it but it has done this since I changed everything. I had the rotors turned a while ago but it didn't change anything. I replaced both rear axles, didn't help. I have changed the wheels and tires several times, no change. I just checked and re-tightend the wheel bearings.
Could the steering box cause this? Any other ideas??

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, 700r4
69 Malibu convertible (sold)
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 11:34 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Re: Steering wheel shake

Maybe needs an alignment? Mine has a similar steering wheel shimmy that is on my list of bugs to work out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Garage

Do road condition or surface have any effect, one road type make it worse than another? What are the alignment specs used to set the front end? I have experienced a power steering gear that would cause pulling to one side or the other but not a back and forth motion. It could be possible if something has gone wrong in the spool section of the gear.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Do road condition or surface have any effect, one road type make it worse than another? What are the alignment specs used to set the front end? I have experienced a power steering gear that would cause pulling to one side or the other but not a back and forth motion. It could be possible if something has gone wrong in the spool section of the gear.
I have had the front aligned to stock specs twice in the last couple of years, no change. Road conditions don't affect it at all. Rough roads, smooth, curvy, its acts the same.

TC #54 Gold

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech Team
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToocoolZ28 View Post
I have had the front aligned to stock specs twice in the last couple of years, no change. ....
That's part of the problem. Stock alignment specs are for bias-ply tires, which I am sure you are not using. Find an alignment shop that knows what they are doing.

For a street car go with 1/8" toe in, 0-.5 degree negative camber, and as much positive caster as they can dial in (2-4 degrees).

Andrew

Instagram @projectgattago

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Rebalance the front tires and see what she does. Ask the tire guy to spin them first to see if it they are out before removing old weights.

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 1:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
leo

Has anyone adjusted the box or checked the rag joint??

Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoP View Post
Has anyone adjusted the box or checked the rag joint??
No. The rag joint looks OK just by eyeballing it. I'm going to try adjusting the box today, a little at a time.
The tires have been re-balanced but I also put on all 4 wheels and tires off my other Chevelle, I eventually bought new front tires and put them on.
I know I'm missing something, I just cant figure out what it is.
Maybe some or one of the new parts I put on was bad but I cant see any play or looseness in anything. The front end guy that aligned it said he checked everything and he thought it looked good.

TC #54 Gold

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 4:38 PM
Tech Team
Joe

Are you sure it's not in the drive line IE: Drive shaft, Torque converter, Flex plate/Flywheel, Harmonic balancer?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 15, 6:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppless72 View Post
Are you sure it's not in the drive line IE: Drive shaft, Torque converter, Flex plate/Flywheel, Harmonic balancer?
I don't think so, I can feel it in the steering wheel only. I can see and feel the wheel rock back and forth. I wouldn't rule anything out though.

TC #54 Gold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1505 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.