Rag-joint replacement in '65 w/AGR quick ratio box. Won't reach - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 1:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Roger

Rag-joint replacement in '65 w/AGR quick ratio box. Won't reach

Does anyone have a fix for this situation.

I installed a new AGR quick ratio box in my '65 Malibu.
The rag-joint seemed like it stretched a bit to reach across to bolt back into the steering shaft flange as the steering "stops" barely reached.

While installing the new engine, I thought it prudent to replace the rag and realized that the space between the steering box flange and the steering shaft flange is too large to allow the rag-joint to stay flat.

I noticed the steering wheel shaft had a little end play and the retainer had slipped 1/2" so had my wife press the steering wheel forward while it tightened it back where it should be. But it still isn't close enough to the steering box to be correct.

Pic is where we're at right now.

Any thoughts? Solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150825_195406_resized.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	293122  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 2:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Re: Rag-joint replacement in '65 w/AGR quick ratio box. Won't reach

Roger, you've either got a damaged/bent steering column or maybe some frame damage. Check your body alignment to frame. If this checks OK, try loosening the steering collar on the inside of the firewall and loosening the column bolts at the bottom of the dashboard to see if you can push the column forward. Your photo seems to show the rag joint and steering shaft approaching each other at an angle, this is not normal.

Randy
TC # 5401
67 Project SS Clone

Owning a Chevelle project is like having a giant-size piggy bank that you keep pouring money into....but you can't get it back out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 2:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Roger

Thank you Randy, I'll check that out right now. I didn't think the attach point under the dash could be keeping it back but I have sneaky suspicion that's the problem.

I kept googling variations of my problem this morning and discovered it's quite common for people to pry between the steering box flange and steering shaft flange, pushing the steering column back inadvertently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yoda

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 4:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

There is also typically a spring under the steering wheel that will push the wheel (and inner column) up out of the outer column jacket (and therefore away from the steering box).

As mentioned, loosen the column-to-dash bolts so the entire column can be pushed forward slightly, attach the shaft to the rag joint, and then readjust the column to the dash... May need to pull the steering wheel off too...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Last edited by 1966_L78; Aug 27th, 15 at 4:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 6:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Also loosen the clamp on the steering shaft out side the firewall

1966 Chevelle SS 396/360 M21 3:73 posi. silver/blue buckets

Maryland Chevelle Club #682
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 15, 6:14 PM
Tech Team
Kelly

I don't think your wife was pushing hard enough. I had the same issue on my 66 and had to get my son to move and tighten the flame while I pushed on the wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1518 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.