Jeep GC steering box / Lee Mfg. fittings, HELP! - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 15, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Jeep GC steering box / Lee Mfg. fittings, HELP!

So i'm in the middle of this conversion (car torn apart) and now realize the "bolt in" pump i have is not so bolt in afterall. So now i'm desperate for Lee Mfg's conversion fittings to make my flare nut lines bolt into the Jeep box. Well, both phone lines listed on the website are disconnected and an AT&T message makes it sound like they have gone out of biz. No place to order from the website. I have sent an email to the address listed on the website but not expecting any reply atleast until Monday.....if at all. The website shows to have been updated this year.
Does anyone know anything about the company.....have they gone out of biz? If so, any idea where i can get the flare nut to o-ring conversion fittings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 15, 9:04 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Re: Jeep GC steering box / Lee Mfg. fittings, HELP!

A better way to do it is to skip those goofy adapters and do it right. Use a pressure hose from an 81 Camaro, an O-ring fitting for the back of the pump, and grab a return line O-ring fitting to go in the box for the return hose.
Jim

Oh, and Lee has gone out of business, apparently.

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 15, 9:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Doing it the better way, and doing it right is exactly what i was trying to do.....with a new / reman'd 85 Camaro pump which Hot Rod magazine claimed was a bolt in. Long story short, the 85 pump is not a bolt in....the "clocking" of the pump in the reservoir is out of whack. What i have resorted to at this point is removing the o-ring fitting from the 85 camaro pump and putting it in my 71 Chevelle pump. I think this will solve the issue, but i won't know until i have it all together and running. So if it winds up not working i would like to know where i can find the fittings.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 15, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

These look/sound like the adapters... https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/produ...productid=1759

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 15, 9:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you very much Slick71. I did come across something similar to these while searching the web earlier today. Speedway had them so i called but the person i talked to didnt have much clue what i was talking about and wanted to know thread sizes and pitches, etc......which i myself was clueless about. I think what i have done (swapping the o-ring fitting into my pump will work. But if it doesn't i now am relieved to know this place will probably be able to help.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 15, 10:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ragtop View Post
A better way to do it is to skip those goofy adapters and do it right. Use a pressure hose from an 81 Camaro, an O-ring fitting for the back of the pump, and grab a return line O-ring fitting to go in the box for the return hose.
Jim

Do you have the part numbers for these?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 12:12 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Do a search on Ebay under the following heading "55 56 57 Chevy 605 steering o ring adapters" they are a direct thread into the JGC steering box and your lines will thread right into the adapters. UUsed them on my conversion to the.JGC box. Sold. by Classic Performance for $19.00. Their part # 605SOL*postal.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 7:35 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you for that tip as well.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 9:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Do a search on Ebay under the following heading "55 56 57 Chevy 605 steering o ring adapters" they are a direct thread into the JGC steering box and your lines will thread right into the adapters. UUsed them on my conversion to the.JGC box. Sold. by Classic Performance for $19.00. Their part # 605SOL*postal.
Would this be better than the Lee's?

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I did get a reply email from Lee Mfg. Unfortunately Mr. Lee has retired and is not currently giving any referrals. Bummer.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 2:51 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1978 View Post
Would this be better than the Lee's?
Shannon:.

I am not familiar with the Lee's fittings but I believe they are press in. If that is the case then I would believe the Classic Performance are superior as one can just unthread them if they have the desire or need to and as many times as necessary. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-57-CHE...-/261142836721
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 5:48 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ragtop View Post
Jim

^^^this.... do this^^^

the pressure line is like $15 at any parts store in the country... swap out the fitting on the back of the pump with one from any 80's vehicle with a Saginaw pump... hit the junkyard to get a return line off a steering box off an 80's something with a Saginaw steering box for a few bucks and it's done.. no stupid adapters, no threading SAE threads into metric threads- just a good solid oem engineered setup that works and doesn't leak..

i should get the parts to sell them as a kit.. i'm sure someone would pay me $200 for $20 worth of parts...

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 6:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
Shannon:.

I am not familiar with the Lee's fittings but I believe they are press in. If that is the case then I would believe the Classic Performance are superior as one can just unthread them if they have the desire or need to and as many times as necessary. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/55-56-57-CHE...-/261142836721
Those adapters do look like a better solution than the press in ones. Thanks for the link.

71 Chevelle SS
zz502 (Straub Cam, RPM Airgap, ProSystems Carb, MSD, etc.)
Rossler TH400
Built 12 bolt 4:11

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 6:30 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
^^^this.... do this^^^

the pressure line is like $15 at any parts store in the country... swap out the fitting on the back of the pump with one from any 80's vehicle with a Saginaw pump... hit the junkyard to get a return line off a steering box off an 80's something with a Saginaw steering box for a few bucks and it's done.. no stupid adapters, no threading SAE threads into metric threads- just a good solid oem engineered setup that works and doesn't leak..

i should get the parts to sell them as a kit.. i'm sure someone would pay me $200 for $20 worth of parts...
a perfect example of one of the many reasons i left this site many years ago. Please, Please, Please read the threads before replying. For the third time....That's what my plans were....I have all the parts the Hot Rod mag article recommended (Trusting anything David Freiberger has a hand in was my first mistake)......the "bolt in" 85 Camaro pump turned out to not be bolt in. SO YES, i have removed the o-ring fitting from the 85 camaro pump and installed it in my 72 pump. YES....i do have all the new o-ring pressure lines, etc. Since i have never "tinkered" with re-engineering a power steering pump my concern was that the fitting swap i did may not work....And i wanted an option for the fittings in case that did not work.

Please Guys, Please read threads entirely before posting so you don't wind up looking like a "know it all"!!

To those who posted links and helpful suggestions for alternatives to the Lee Mfg. fittings, "Thank You".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1517 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.