Spindle/ballJoint fitment issue - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 8:15 PM Thread Starter
Justin

Spindle/ballJoint fitment issue

First post... but not new to reading the endless knowledge on this site.

I have upgraded to the UMI Performance stage 4 suspension kit for my 1966 Chevelle. I purchased the front power disc brake conversion from The Right Stuff with stock height spindles.

The spindle doesn't want to fit on to the upper ball joint. The lower ballpoint seems more accepting but still a tight fit. I've used heat in the past to get them to slip on, but that was with stock control arms on cars that were not this important to me. I dropped a pretty penny on this suspension and I'm not trying to mess anything up by putting a torch to it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should/can do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1439770366941.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	291025   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1439770408825.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	291033  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 9:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Spindle/ballJoint fitment issue

Call UMI.

Dont do anything before talking to UMI.

67 chevelle malibu / SS/ custom

Currently undergoing a metal work to remove all rust, if I ever get there.

Cant decide on prostreet or cruiser with a 4 speed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 10:25 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

not sure what you're doing here. you mean the tapered studs of the balljoints won't fit in the tapered holes in the spindles? Please clarify. get you get pics oif the exact area in question?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Call UMI.

Dont do anything before talking to UMI.
I figured this was where this was going. calling first thing. thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
not sure what you're doing here. you mean the tapered studs of the balljoints won't fit in the tapered holes in the spindles? Please clarify. get you get pics oif the exact area in question?
I'm putting the spindles on the control arms. In the close up picture you can see how the top ball joint is not seated. The ball joint is too tight and won't fit on the spindle.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

With no weight on the front of the car, you're probably fighting the springs. Might need to use a spring compressor, looks like the stud and the spindle aren't quite aligned properly in the pic. With no engine, should only take a couple minutes to remove the upper control arm from the frame, making it easy to check if the ball joint stud fits in the spindle or not.
HTH, Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 15, 11:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
terry

Looks to me like there is a difference in the taper between the spindle and the ball joint...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 15, 12:07 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I've never seen one that far off unless there were mis-match parts. UMI is you best bet.

You could unbolt the ball joint from the control arm, try it in the spindle by itself. A few minutes to try this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 15, 2:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Are these tall/extended length BJs? If so, they will look off. What matters is if you are able to seat the BJ into the spindle and get the castle nut down far enough to get the cotter pin in.

'69 SS396 - FiTech L33 swapped w/Muncie, 3.31 TrueTrac - VHX Gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 15, 3:29 PM Thread Starter
Justin

Ok I may have jumped the gun on this one yesterday. It was a long day of stripping and painting the frame before assembly. Went to the shop during lunch today and fit the original upper control arm to the ball joint and it slid right on. So I knew the spindle was good.
I talked to Zack today at UMI Performance and they confirmed what GenPac just wrote. Attached are pictures of the way they are sitting with the taller ball joint. The boot still sits about 1/2" higher off the spindle which was most of my initial concern, but I was told this is correct.

Thanks for everyone's quick attention. Planning to start a small build thread on here. Slow progress is still progress. haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball Joint 2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	291201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball Joint 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	291209  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 15, 5:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin10 View Post
Ok I may have jumped the gun on this one yesterday. It was a long day of stripping and painting the frame before assembly. Went to the shop during lunch today and fit the original upper control arm to the ball joint and it slid right on. So I knew the spindle was good.
I talked to Zack today at UMI Performance and they confirmed what GenPac just wrote. Attached are pictures of the way they are sitting with the taller ball joint. The boot still sits about 1/2" higher off the spindle which was most of my initial concern, but I was told this is correct.

Thanks for everyone's quick attention. Planning to start a small build thread on here. Slow progress is still progress. haha.
If you don't like the way it looks with the exposed BJ stud, I took some 1" diameter copper tubing and sliced about 1/2" length off and used it as a spacer between the Spindle and the BJ boot. It looks better and the boot stays put and keeps the grease in...

Quote:
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 8:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
If you don't like the way it looks with the exposed BJ stud, I took some 1" diameter copper tubing and sliced about 1/2" length off and used it as a spacer between the Spindle and the BJ boot. It looks better and the boot stays put and keeps the grease in...
Won't the copper tube cut the BJ boot as the ball joint goes through the suspension movements ?Painting the exposed metal may be a better solution.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 15, 11:18 PM
Tech Team
Kelly

The tall ball joints from Howe have a piece of rubber tubing on them that compresses just a little bit during assembly. I think that may be a workable solution for yours to keep the boots in place.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 15, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
Won't the copper tube cut the BJ boot as the ball joint goes through the suspension movements ?Painting the exposed metal may be a better solution.
I've had them this way for 4 years. I would guess it depends on the quality /thickness of boot you're using. To each their own.

Quote:
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 15, 10:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPac View Post
I've had them this way for 4 years. I would guess it depends on the quality /thickness of boot you're using. To each their own.
I was just thinking when I cut apiece of copper tubing with a tubing cutter the sharp edge it leaves and envisioning it cutting into the BJ boots.Even after you file the pipe it's still a little sharp,but whatever works for you is cool with me.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1508 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.