Hydro boost or regular? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 4:59 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Billy

Hydro boost or regular?

I have my 1968 Chevelle SS and am thinking of going hydroboost instead of master cylinder with brake booster. Anyone have opinions for either one and I was told I could pull the hydroboost system from a 1995 Astro Van, anyone else do this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 5:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

Re: Hydro boost or regular?

fwiw... put a nasty 496 in my 67ss a few years ago and my power brakes faded away. installed a vacuum reservoir canister hidden in my drivers side fender up front near the power steering reserviour (under the horns on the 67) and hard piped the system for the most part. It works great without having to put a whole lot $$$$ in to it.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 5:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

I put a hydratech system in a few years ago. I wouldn't use anything else. Brakes are amazing

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 7:26 PM
Jeff

I installed one on my 1968 Malibu 454 and used a junkyard hydroboost unit from a 1995 Astro van. While you can use a unit from a chevy truck of the same year as they are all the same unit except for the mounting flange on the firewall. I trimmed,relocated, massaged it to fit the stock bolt mounting flange and it hooked right up. If you insist on using a new unit, the rebuilt unit for an Astro van costs more than a rebuild for a chevy truck but the mounting flange will be different.

For the hoses and fittings, I used Aeroquip fittings from Summitracing and PFTE high pressure lines from ANfittingsandmore.com. A LOT cheaper than anywhere else!!

I use a Type 2 power steering unit from a 2005 malibu (available from O'Reilly Auto) with a 2.5-2.8 GPH flow valve all running thru a PSC hydroboost reservoir with a B & M mounting bracket.

All in all, I have about $450 into the complete setup and LOVE it!! I also have 12" drilled and slotted disc at all 4 corners. Works fantastic!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 15, 4:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Billy

Hey I was given a 2003 Chevy 3500 van hydroboost set up, would this work for my 1968 Chevelle? Maybe the pump too?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 15, 12:03 PM
Tim

Yes it will work great. You may have to modify the mounting bracket etc. I upgraded to Hydroboost on a 96 Chevy truck and would never look back.

70 SS Chevelle (Soon to be LS swapped)
72 Nova 496 Turbo 400
79 Camaro 355 700r
70 C10 4.8 ls Turbo Charged Turbo 350
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 15, 2:56 PM

I bought mine from http://www.custompowerbrake.com/ Yes, my car is a 1969 GTO but the idea is the same. Pedal feel is amazing. The firewall bracket is made at the correct angle. ANY questions are quickly answered.....and EVERY part is brand new. I supplied the 4 wheel disc Corvette master and sourced my own hoses, filter and fittings.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 15, 5:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Billy

Hydro boost or regular?

Which bracket would I need? I was told I need to modify the brake peddle rod as well, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1440796411.020957.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	293249   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1440796433.713130.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	293257   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1440796450.719059.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	293265  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 15, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Billy

My brakes are front disc and rear drum, which Corvette master cylinder do I need?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 15, 6:07 PM
Tim

You don't have to use a corvette master cylinder. If you get it from a vehicle that has front disc / rear drum you could use that newer master cylinder. You would probably need to replace the brake lines going to the master cylinder anyways.

Yes you will have to modify the pedal rod. Most people cut off the end of the hydroboost rod and then thread it. Thread the existing rod and join them with a union, of course all this needs to be the proper length when done.

70 SS Chevelle (Soon to be LS swapped)
72 Nova 496 Turbo 400
79 Camaro 355 700r
70 C10 4.8 ls Turbo Charged Turbo 350
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 15, 7:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Billy

I have all new brake lines on the car already.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 15, 5:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by the heckler View Post
fwiw... put a nasty 496 in my 67ss a few years ago and my power brakes faded away.
About the same happened to me except that the 496 was already in the car when I bought it but I've always found that the brake pedal was very hard. So I changed the master cylinder/booster combo three times, changed the proportioning valve three times, tried other front callipers and all this work gave with no result. Then a friend of mine who just finished restoring an ElCamino on which he installed a "Hydratech" unit told me that that would very likely put an end to my hard pedal problem, so I ordered one a few weeks ago but haven't received it yet…I can't wait to see the difference once installed!

Claude.

1971 Chevelle SS
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 15, 6:40 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

Any year of the Astro vans have the same system and will work. If the hydra unit is installed in the same clocked position as it was in the van, both stock pressure hoses for a mid 80's full size Buick w/diesel will fit perfectly ($28.00 each). If you clock it 180 degrees from stock new custom hoses will be needed. The unit will work either way. I used a steering pump from a 30 series Chevy van that has the dual return, low pressure inlets.

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 15, 6:52 PM
Team Member
Ed

Garage

The mounting bracket options are to either modify the Astro mounting bracket by slicing a wedge out of it and rewelding it to reduce the angle and turning it to fit your application - or - buy an aluminum mount available on line from one of the suppliers. I opted to save the $ and remade the Astro mount to fit my 65 firewall and maintain the same original power brakes angle for the master cyl. Maintaining the angle allows the push rod to the pedal arm to use the same hole as the original. You will need to thread that push rod attached to the hydra unit to the 3/8"x 24 threads and use the original U-shaped clevis from your current set up. Take it one step at a time and it is not that difficult

OLDED - It's STOCK if it's made by GM and it fits!

*65 Elky, Gen VI 496 BBC, TH400
*59 Vette, 283/270 hp. T5 5 spd., 4:11 posi.
*Harley - 06 Street Bob
*Life Member - Team Chevelle & Team ElCamino
*Peach State Chevelle Member
*Retired June 1, 2014****
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 15, 12:42 PM

I used off the shelf hoses on my install. I just found ones that had a 90 bend right out of the boost unit then I reflared the pump end to fit the OEM pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1502 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.