Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

View Poll Results: Failed Brake Valves
Leakage From Warning Switch 1 3.45%
Leakage From Rubber Boot On End Of Valve 21 72.41%
Just Didn't work Right 5 17.24%
Vendor Valve Was Bought From 3 10.34%
Inline Tube 9 31.03%
Right Stuff 2 6.90%
CPP 6 20.69%
Other 7 24.14%
Material Valve Was Made From 1 3.45%
Brass 19 65.52%
Aluminum 0 0%
Chrome Plated 0 0%
If none of the options applied to you please write a short comment with your answer. 2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Fresno
Posts: 1,960
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Depending on the condition of the bores. I don't know if anyone repairs them or sells a kit for them. I wish I had kept my original one. I can't see how companies can keep selling this junk to the public with the risks involved. Sure they can send you a replacement if it fails but they should be looking at the cause of the failures and correcting them.


" I can't see how companies can keep selling this junk to the public with the risks involved."

I believe that you can report this kind of stuff to the NTSB. "Squeakin' wheel gets the grease"...
JJ'65 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 17, 9:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,957
Garage
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'65 View Post
" I can't see how companies can keep selling this junk to the public with the risks involved."

I believe that you can report this kind of stuff to the NTSB. "Squeakin' wheel gets the grease"...
This is a very serious problem that could turn into a life and death situation. That is why I got in touch with Inline when I ran into the problem on my car. I even mentioned the poll I was taking and they were in the lead. I thought maybe they had looked into it because there hasn't been any complaints recently that I know of like there was in the time frame when I put mine in. Just think of the other stuff we may have on our cars that might not meet strict safety measures. Certain parts like these should be certified or something. But then on another note look at how many recalls there are on new cars nowadays.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
HKalin is offline  
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 7:54 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central MA
Posts: 1,475
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Grrrr... So, I just was out in the garage taking out the garbage, and noticed a puddle under my car in a weird place.

Turns out, the new aluminum combination valve I purchased and installed about 2 months ago is leaking from the rubber boot after the car has just been sitting in the garage for the past few weeks while I sort out the transmission. Grrrr....

So, gonna have to replace it. Any suggestions on which vendor would be best? I was looking at that Wilwood black anodized aluminum one, but it only has one front output port. So, no go there.

Also gonna see how to warranty replace this one, but chances are since it is the same MFG, it will leak, so I'm looking for options.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
lucifershammer is online now  
 
post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 9:28 AM
Tech Team
Jerry
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Arizona
Posts: 65
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
Use a metering valve on the front.

Brake Metering-Hold-Off Valve

With an adjustable proportion valve on the rear..

Wilwood 260-12627: Proportioning Valve Knob Adjust | JEGS
I need to put one on mine. Hydro462 has the right idea. Going to use the adjustable Wilwood.
Baldfart is offline  
post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 9:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,957
Garage
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
Grrrr... So, I just was out in the garage taking out the garbage, and noticed a puddle under my car in a weird place.

Turns out, the new aluminum combination valve I purchased and installed about 2 months ago is leaking from the rubber boot after the car has just been sitting in the garage for the past few weeks while I sort out the transmission. Grrrr....

So, gonna have to replace it. Any suggestions on which vendor would be best? I was looking at that Wilwood black anodized aluminum one, but it only has one front output port. So, no go there.

Also gonna see how to warranty replace this one, but chances are since it is the same MFG, it will leak, so I'm looking for options.
I'm the one that started this thread. I bought my original replacement one from Inline Tube. I had bought a brass one that came with the aluminum brake light switch in it. It started leaking from that switch about 2 days after I bleed the brakes but never even drove the car yet. Even though the valve was bought way ahead of time I called Inline and told him about the problem I was having and even told him I started a poll on the problem and that their company was in first place for the amount of failed valves. I had already ordered one from the Right Stuff but got the brass one with the plastic brake light switch. That one has been in the car for about 3 years now with no problems. Inline did send me a replacement that was the same one as I bought from the Right Stuff. It's still sitting in the box. Because of all the problems with them every once in awhile I would look for a NOS one. I finally found a guy that had 3 of them a little pricey but I bought one and if the one on the car goes the NOS one will go on.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
HKalin is offline  
post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central MA
Posts: 1,475
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Thanks. I've been trying to find a NOS one - no luck.

I notice that CPP makes one that doesn't have a rubber boot on the front - just the brass fitting for the metering valve. Not sure if that is any indication that it seals better or not.

Since I know the combination valve serves 3 purposes (1 - front metering/hold off, 2 - brake failure warning light, 3 - rear proportioning) I've been considering just going with a disc/disc one that doesn't have the metering valve for the front (eliminate one source of potential leak but I'm not sure if the rear proportioning part of the valve is the same or not when you go from a disc/drum to a disc/disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I'm the one that started this thread. I bought my original replacement one from Inline Tube. I had bought a brass one that came with the aluminum brake light switch in it. It started leaking from that switch about 2 days after I bleed the brakes but never even drove the car yet. Even though the valve was bought way ahead of time I called Inline and told him about the problem I was having and even told him I started a poll on the problem and that their company was in first place for the amount of failed valves. I had already ordered one from the Right Stuff but got the brass one with the plastic brake light switch. That one has been in the car for about 3 years now with no problems. Inline did send me a replacement that was the same one as I bought from the Right Stuff. It's still sitting in the box. Because of all the problems with them every once in awhile I would look for a NOS one. I finally found a guy that had 3 of them a little pricey but I bought one and if the one on the car goes the NOS one will go on.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73

Last edited by lucifershammer; Nov 16th, 17 at 10:19 AM.
lucifershammer is online now  
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 10:08 AM
Gold Founding Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: 30.1298228, -97.9771166
Posts: 6,620
Garage
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

brake warning light failure.

I donít like being manipulated!
Alan F is offline  
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 10:19 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central MA
Posts: 1,475
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Thanks for catching that - it's what I meant, fixed that in my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan F View Post
brake warning light failure.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
lucifershammer is online now  
post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 1:05 PM
Tech Team
Bill
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the Garage
Posts: 956
Garage
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

I installed a brass unit from Right Stuff that I bought from Jegs. It has been problem free for at least 3 years.

1969 Sport Coupe SS Tribute Cortez Silver 454 400TH
69SS454 is offline  
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 1:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,957
Garage
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Before I mounted my valve I was reading about problems with leakage others were having and sure enough mine leaked too. Most did seem to leak from the black cap but mine leaked at the aluminum brake light switch. I don't know if the one without the black cap will work properly because it is for a different set-up. Did you buy your current one from one of the polls worst vendors. I had asked a few vendors about them if they were all made by one source and they said no. At that time the poll showed "The Right Stuff" had the best figures for non-failed valves so that's why I went with them. Like I said mine has been in my car for 3 yrs. now with no problems. I rarely see anyone bringing it up anymore. Good Luck and keep your fingers crossed.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
HKalin is offline  
post #41 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 1:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central MA
Posts: 1,475
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

I didn't buy mine from one of the vendors above. I made sure to buy an aluminum one, as those seemed to have the best track record of not leaking. But mine leaks.

I've been researching for the past few hours, and as far as I have been able to determine, the only difference between the disc/drum and disc/disc versions are that the disc/drum has the front metering valve, and the disc/disc does not. Both have the brake failure warning light and the rear proportioning valve.

I've also discovered that almost all of them seem to be selling the same brass parts - PV2 (disc/drum) or PV4 (disc/disc), and all are made in China. Heck, most even post the same picture.

So, I guess it's a crap-shoot, and now I just have to decide what to pull the trigger on to try to fix the darn problem. I just don't feel like replacing it over and over and over and over... *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
Before I mounted my valve I was reading about problems with leakage others were having and sure enough mine leaked too. Most did seem to leak from the black cap but mine leaked at the aluminum brake light switch. I don't know if the one without the black cap will work properly because it is for a different set-up. Did you buy your current one from one of the polls worst vendors. I had asked a few vendors about them if they were all made by one source and they said no. At that time the poll showed "The Right Stuff" had the best figures for non-failed valves so that's why I went with them. Like I said mine has been in my car for 3 yrs. now with no problems. I rarely see anyone bringing it up anymore. Good Luck and keep your fingers crossed.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
lucifershammer is online now  
post #42 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 1:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Hank
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 6,957
Garage
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifershammer View Post
I didn't buy mine from one of the vendors above. I made sure to buy an aluminum one, as those seemed to have the best track record of not leaking. But mine leaks.

I've been researching for the past few hours, and as far as I have been able to determine, the only difference between the disc/drum and disc/disc versions are that the disc/drum has the front metering valve, and the disc/disc does not. Both have the brake failure warning light and the rear proportioning valve.

I've also discovered that almost all of them seem to be selling the same brass parts - PV2 (disc/drum) or PV4 (disc/disc), and all are made in China. Heck, most even post the same picture.

So, I guess it's a crap-shoot, and now I just have to decide what to pull the trigger on to try to fix the darn problem. I just don't feel like replacing it over and over and over and over... *sigh*
I just started re-reading the thread and MBM was the one supplying Inline Tube with the valves. When I ordered my replacement one I bought it through Jeg's (cheaper price) but it was a Right Stuff Part and it does have the black cap on the end of it.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
HKalin is offline  
post #43 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 2:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Central MA
Posts: 1,475
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

Ok, so the Jegs part is actually a Right Stuff part? Is that part a different part than the MBM/Inline Tube part?

Have a part number handy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
I just started re-reading the thread and MBM was the one supplying Inline Tube with the valves. When I ordered my replacement one I bought it through Jeg's (cheaper price) but it was a Right Stuff Part and it does have the black cap on the end of it.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
lucifershammer is online now  
post #44 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 3:16 PM
Tech Team
lou
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 963
Send a message via AIM to roadster601
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

hey all on my 67 chevelle SS, i did a front power disc brake conversion and used a prop valve as original mounted it on master, used the valve on the chassis rail to connect it all to the new prop valve, only problem was the front hoses leaked at the crimp on the hose other than that all is well, why invent the wheel it worked in the 60s and still does happy motoring

lou
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roadster601 is online now  
post #45 of 68 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 17, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
gary
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: arizona
Posts: 1,114
Re: Taking a Poll On Aftermarket Failed Brake Valves

My brass CPP is working fine & no leaks.
1967 chevelle malibu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 672 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome