Swapping only rears to Gen 4 brakes on factory disc/drum wagon - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 15, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Swapping only rears to Gen 4 brakes on factory disc/drum wagon

I was talking with a buddy of mine on the brake swap I have planned for the wagon, and he asked a question I really couldn't answer. The car is a Greenbrier wagon with front disc and rear drum. His question, was why couldn't I keep the factory fronts and use the 98-02 F-body brakes in the rear. I think that would mean 11" up front and 12" in the rear, but with an adjustable proportioning valve, is there any reason why one wouldn't want to do it?

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
1969 6.0 Firebird - 70% done
2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
Build Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Everything incorrect is reversible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 2:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

Re: Swapping only rears to Gen 4 brakes on factory disc/drum wagon

That can be done, but might not look right with stock disc in the front and larger F body rotors in the rear. Also depends what wheels you are running. A 17" wheel is about the smallest you can go with LS1 Camaro brakes. I should know, got the same set up on both my car.

, 5 speed, 4:11's

,357 sb, 700R4 with lock up, 3:73's

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 2:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bryan

Really? I"m hearing you can go as small as 15" on the wheels. I haven't tried mocking them up or anything, which I may do this week. I was just looking at wheels and trying to figure out the wides matched set that can be run on stock height suspension. It looks like at 16" its an 8" wheel and for a 17, it's a 9.5". I know this is brakes and not tires, but wanted to throw that out there as the question has probably been asked and answered a million times.

1970 Chevelle Greenbrier Wagon 66 2/3% done
1969 6.0 Firebird - 70% done
2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum
Build Thread

Everything incorrect is reversible

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 3:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Brian

I know the front F body LS brakes will not fit behind a 15" wheel, never really tried the rears. I've run 17" wheel years ago on my Elco and now 18's, so clearance isn't an issue.

, 5 speed, 4:11's

,357 sb, 700R4 with lock up, 3:73's

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kevin

Garage

The rears will fit some 15" wheels, mine required grinding the bump off the calipers to clear my old school slotted mags. A friend runs Torque Thrusts over his with no issues.

I ran stock Chevelle front discs and fbody rears for a while with no issues other than being shipped the wrong combo valve (I got a disc/drum valve when I ordered a disc/disc) which then went on to blow out on me (due to manufacturing defect...not related to being the wrong part). I replaced it with a disc/drum valve and it's been working since then.

Pro Touring 1971 Chevelle SS clone
head/cam LS2, 4l60e, 3.42 12 bolt
1.61 60ft [email protected] 1/8th [email protected] 1/4
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 10:17 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Some 15" wheels may fit over the 98-02 rear brakes, but not all. The 98-04 4-door Blazer/Jimmy (S series small Blazer/Jimmy) rear brakes will fit 15". The rotor is a little smaller but otherwise similar to the f-body setup. Use the 2wd rotors. You can use either the 2wd backing plates and calipers or the 4wd ones. 2wd has the calipers towards the rear and 4wd has them towards the front.

18 Cruze LT hatchback
03 Suburban 2500 8.1L - Tow Pig
75 MGB - eternal project
03 GSX750F Katana
67 El Camino - Sold
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

i have the LS1 disc brakes on the front and rear of my 86 Camaro... my 15" Monte Carlo SS wheels clear just fine.. i had to take a very small amount off the ribs of the front calipers for clearance- maybe .030" or so-, but that might be because the caliper brackets i made push the pads out to the outer edge of the rotors..
the rears have a ton of room.
haven't tried any other 15" wheels on it yet since i don't have any..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 15, 4:26 PM
Senior Tech Team
Neal

Running c5 / ls1 brakes on the rear of mine while I wait to install the c5 fronts. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work for you. Probably need to eliminate your disc/drum factory proportioning valve.

1967 Chevelle
LS1 swap is completed!

12.70 at 108.95mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1872 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.