Where can I find Tall spindles that have zero drop? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 7:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Where can I find Tall spindles that have zero drop?

I have a 70 Chevelle for street/strip purposes. I don't care about circle track nor auto cross racing. I've searched high and low for tall spindles, but the only ones I've seen also have a 1" or 2" drop. The drop isn't advantagous for the drag strip.

I merely want tall spindles to increase the front susppension travel. A place called L&H Kustoms somewhere in Oregon used to sell zero drop Tall spindles for Chevelles, but I cannot find any info about that biz any longer. I think they might have gone belly up.

Has anyone here aquired and used the stock spindles for their 68-72 Chevelle from a 73 and up Chevelle, or from a 70-81 Camaro? The factory spindles from them are supposed to be taller. I haven't been able to find anything for those cars, nor anything for my 70 Chevelle in the aftermarket that are tall without being dropped. Can anyone steer me to a place that has what I'm looking for?

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 10:06 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Where can I find Tall spindles that have zero drop?

I would call and speak to Mark @ SC&C, the tall spindle is commonly used for pro-touring / Autocross. He should be able to talk you through the options in the industry.

http://scandc.com/new/

610-381-6100

71 Chevelle
LM7 5.3l genIII 295hp / Th-350 / Quick Performance 9 inch housing, Ford 3.55:1 Traction - Lok, Moser Axles, Gm Disc / Drum brakes.

LS & 9 inch Swap complete!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

255/45/17 front, 275/40/17 rear, SPC Springs, Stock front suspension geometry + Koni Ds and UMI rear arms. Planning SC&C Stage II+ front
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 10:15 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Could install a tall upper balljoint and accomplish the same goal

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 2:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
I would call and speak to Mark @ SC&C, the tall spindle is commonly used for pro-touring / Autocross. He should be able to talk you through the options in the industry.

http://scandc.com/new/

610-381-6100
I wrote to Mark, but he hasn't replied yet, although he usually gets right back to me. I also went on his website, but the only spindles i see for our cars on his site are the AFX ones which have a 2" drop which is NOT what I want for drag racing. That's what the autocross guys use. Perhaps I should call him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Could install a tall upper balljoint and accomplish the same goal
I've already purchased the Howe Racing +.9" Xtra tall upper ball joints from Mark. I also want to use the Tall spindles as well. But I cannot find them with a zero drop.

The cars that have factory spindles that are taller which can be used are the 70-81 Camaros, 75-79 Nova, 73-77 Chevelles (and all 73-77 GM A-bodies), 76-79 caddy Seville, and all 77-96 GM full size cars (except Caddy Limos. But I cannot find any OE spindles on the net being sold for any of these cars. Places which sell OE spindles for Chevelles only sell them for the 68-72 years.

Maybe I should try the local parts stores. But I really was hoping to find aftermarket tall spindles made for my 70 Chevelle which also have zero drop, so I don't need to use different ball joints like I'll need to do even if I do find OE spindles for those other cars I've listed (which do have factory spindles which are taller than the 68-72 Chevelles have).

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 6:52 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

those are wrecking yard parts. common as rocks around here in the Phx area.

HOwever, installing them in a Chevelle chassis brings up several issues: tie rods, massive bump steer, ball joint and tie rod tapers, etc, etc. Also, if the you have the stock or similar upper A-arms there will be binding of the upper ball joint as it runs out of travel. You'll need to research this carefully to see the pros and cons, etc. If you're expecting to to leave hard and carry the front suspension will be at full droop, really don't need a bunch of toe/steering angle changes as the weight of the car falls back onto the front end. The more travel there is the more issues crop up in this area. Read more, wrench less.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 10:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

L&H Kustoms was the only tall spindle I knew of that came in a stock ride height setup. However I think they went out of business.

I would be using the stock dimension spindles with tall ball joints. I wonder if you can get aftermarket steering arms fix the geometry and reduce the bump steer that is known with the factory suspension.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 4:54 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
those are wrecking yard parts. common as rocks around here in the Phx area.

HOwever, installing them in a Chevelle chassis brings up several issues: tie rods, massive bump steer, ball joint and tie rod tapers, etc, etc. Also, if the you have the stock or similar upper A-arms there will be binding of the upper ball joint as it runs out of travel. You'll need to research this carefully to see the pros and cons, etc. If you're expecting to to leave hard and carry the front suspension will be at full droop, really don't need a bunch of toe/steering angle changes as the weight of the car falls back onto the front end. The more travel there is the more issues crop up in this area. Read more, wrench less.
I think I'll have all of that stuff covered. If I find a pair of 70-81 Camaro spindles, the upper ball joints have the same size ball, and therefore I can use the Howe Racing take apart (modular) ball joints, and use the same exact ball joint base, with the Camaro ball stud, which has the correct taper for the taller Camaro spindle. For the lower ball joint, I can use a complete one for the Camaro (MOOG part# K6145 ) and I'll merely have to have the base piece turned down .080" off the O.D. and it will press right into the Chevelle lower control arm nice. And I have aftermarket upper and lower control arms, so there shouldn't be any binding of the upper ball joint.

As far as the bump/steer, I believe I have that covered also with these from Spohn Performance which allow up to about 8 degrees of adjustment to correct the bump/steer by getting the tie rod assembly back to being parallel with the angle of the lower control arm. And if I have to use the Camaro outer rod ends, then I can get the same set-up for bump/steer from Howe racing which is for Camaros. So you see, I HAVE been reading.

http://www.spohn.net/shop/1968-1972-...GM-A-Body.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454- View Post
L&H Kustoms was the only tall spindle I knew of that came in a stock ride height setup. However I think they went out of business.

I believe you're correct. I wish I knew of some places that were distributors of their parts and might still have them on the shelves.

Last edited by BillyGman; Nov 15th, 14 at 7:46 AM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 9:36 AM
Senior Tech Team
Denny

You never answer back to the suggestion of using used parts. Is it because you live up north (like me), where scrap yard don't keep cars over 10 years old? If so, I found this place who sells reconditioned parts:

Reconditioned 1980-90 GM Fullsize Spindle, Left
Reconditioned 1980-90 GM Fullsize Spindle, Right

They also have other spindles you might be interested in; here is their full list.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Garage

The GM taller spindles like those from a 2nd F body or B body will give your Chevelle a 2" drop. If you decide to use them find the type that will allow the use of the larger 12" rotor. With a stock caliper it will still work with a 15" wheel.

This is incorrect, there is no drop. Sorry for the misinformation

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

Last edited by Philip; Nov 15th, 14 at 12:56 PM.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Action View Post
You never answer back to the suggestion of using used parts. Is it because you live up north (like me), where scrap yard don't keep cars over 10 years old? If so, I found this place who sells reconditioned parts:

Reconditioned 1980-90 GM Fullsize Spindle, Left
Reconditioned 1980-90 GM Fullsize Spindle, Right

They also have other spindles you might be interested in; here is their full list.
yeah, the junkyards up here rarely have anything like that, and thanks for the links. That looks like it would be perfect. I'll just have to call or write to them to find out exactly what ball joints will work with that. I'm thinking the taper on the ball joint studs might need to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
The GM taller spindles like those from a 2nd F body or B body will give your Chevelle a 2" drop.
Are you sure about the GM stock pieces from those cars yielding a 2" drop? I haven't seen that claim in anything I've read about this. If that is the case, then I'll just have to forget about this idea. Because I'll be using the car for drag racing, and drop in the front ride height must be obtained with the front springs, not with the spindle. That way, I won't lose suspension travel. More specifically, upward suspension travel, (which is what I'm after, in order to take full advantage of as much stored energy in the front springs as possible during the starting line launch for the sake of weight transfer).Having drop spindles would be counterproductive to that goal as far as I know, since they wouldn't allow an increase of upward travel.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Garage

Sorry I was wrong, just measured the Chevelle and Nova spindles and they are the same from the lower ball joint to the spindle pin.

63 Nova wagon

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
The GM taller spindles like those from a 2nd F body or B body will give your Chevelle a 2" drop. If you decide to use them find the type that will allow the use of the larger 12" rotor. With a stock caliper it will still work with a 15" wheel.
It's my understanding that if I go to 12" rotors and the spindles that use them, I'll also have to go with a 5x5" wheel stud spacing. That would require me to buy new wheels, different brakes, and wheel studs. I don't want to do that.

The GM full size spindles in the pic here, appear to have the spindle in the same location at the bottom of the piece that 68-72 factory pieces have. That doesn't look like it will cause any drop....

here's a pic below of the typical drop spindle. Look how the spindle is set higher up on the piece. This I believe is where it creates the drop once it's installed on the car...

here below is the factory OE 68-72 GM A-body spindle...

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 1:04 PM
Administrator

Garage

BTW the 75 - 79 X body (Nova) are also tall spindles, same as the F and B body cars. I used B body spindles from a 79 Olds 98 Regency Brougham for the 12" rotors and a 1990 F body 1LE option brake rotor to get the wheel bolt pattern correct. The outer bearing needs to have a .850" inner diameter, not all 12" B body spindles will work with the F body rotor, most have the .750" inner diameter outer bearing.

63 Nova wagon

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 1:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
BTW the 75 - 79 X body (Nova) are also tall spindles, same as the F and B body cars. I used B body spindles from a 79 Olds 98 Regency Brougham for the 12" rotors and a 1990 F body 1LE option brake rotor to get the wheel bolt pattern correct. The outer bearing needs to have a .850" inner diameter, not all 12" B body spindles will work with the F body rotor, most have the .750" inner diameter outer bearing.
I'm really not bent on gaining one inch in the rotor diameter. I cannot see it making a night and day difference in the way the car stops. I already have a hydroboost, and the emphasis is really on drag racing anyway. Not road course use, nor circle track.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 1:34 PM
Administrator

Garage

Good point, on the Nova it made a huge difference over the 11" brakes. Look at it like using a longer lever if you were trying to move a big rock. As you said for racing it will not make a difference. When I used to drag race my 68 Chevelle was converted from disc to drum brakes. I could set the shoes for zero drag and it would stop just fine as quick repeated stops were never needed. that car was track only.

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in