10 bolt to 12 bolt - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 14, 7:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

10 bolt to 12 bolt

does anyone know if the drum backing plates and drums themselves are the same on a 10 bolt and 12 bolt.I recently bought a 12 bolt out of a 1968 chevelle to put in my 1969 chevelle.The 12 bolt didn't come with the brake backing plates and hardware so was just wondering if I can switch mine from my 10 bolt to the 12 bolt..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 14, 8:29 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: 10 bolt to 12 bolt

I recently a 10 bolt to 12 bolt swap on my Chevelle and used my 10 bolt brakes on the new 12 bolt. Good luck with the swap, the brakes are the most work in my opinion. Don't forget that the 12 bolt takes a special upper control arm on the passenger side.

Steve

1971 Malibu Sport Coupe 350 (Lunati Voodoo 20120711 cam) / 350 / 3.31 12 bolt posi. 2-1/2 inch torque tech exhaust with walker turbo mufflers.

I love a science project that involves an auto.......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 14, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

thanks for the reply,I was unaware of the special control arm..What am I looking for in the control arms.So I can buy one before the swap

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 14, 9:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
AKA Zombietroll

When I swapped out my 10 bolt for a 12 in my 71 the uppers wouldn't fit. Not a big deal just grind some metal of the arm for clearance and you're good to go. You'll see what I'm talking about.

You tube video laying down final paint
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 14, 2:46 PM
oem
Lifetime Premium Member
Richard

I swapped my 69 10 bolt for a 12 bolt and never ran into any problems, everything bolted in just fine.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 14, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1969 View Post
When I swapped out my 10 bolt for a 12 in my 71 the uppers wouldn't fit. Not a big deal just grind some metal of the arm for clearance and you're good to go. You'll see what I'm talking about.
If you're gonna grind down your trailing arm, be sure and weld a 1/2" flat washer to the outside. I wouldnt' trust the arm after taking away that extra metal. The chevy engineers didn't either, as they spotted on a reinforcement.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 14, 4:33 PM
Banned
Anthony

I`ve done a few 10 bolt to 12 bolt swaps and never had a issue reusing the control arms.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 14, 5:45 PM
Tech Team
Dan

Where is there a problem with the control arms?
I just replaced my 10 with a 12 bolt in a '69 and didn't notice any issues.
Is it on certain years?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 14, 11:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kent & Kam

Garage

That`s new to me too ??? expand please....

1971 Chevelle Father/Son Build

Our Link

Team Chevelle #5544 North Texas Camaro Club
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 14, 11:26 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

The 12 bolt center section is larger due to the larger ring gear. The unmodified upper trailing arm on the driver side will hit the center of the housing. Factory upper trailing arms on the driver side had some material ground away and a reinforcement tab welded on.
The brakes are identical between the 10 & 12 bolt rears.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 14, 2:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
The 12 bolt center section is larger due to the larger ring gear. The unmodified upper trailing arm on the driver side will hit the center of the housing. Factory upper trailing arms on the driver side had some material ground away and a reinforcement tab welded on.
The brakes are identical between the 10 & 12 bolt rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 454
That`s new to me too ??? expand please...
You MAY be able to get the arms to bolt up, but it will probably be tough getting the bushing and arm holes to line up ( might need to tap or "screw" the bolt through the hole, etc)...

Here's a website with pictures explaining the upper control arm differences...

http://www.leverfamilysite.com/Rear_...ifferences.htm

Although the pictures show 68-72 arms, the same clearance issue exists with all Chevelle 12-bolts and 10-bolt arms...

The brakes should swap completely, even the brake lines should work... Just need to pop the axles out and 4 bolts to remove each backing plate. I have even removed the brakes/backing from the axle while still in the car, without disconnecting the brake lines/hoses (no one around to help bleed the brakes)... Swapped rearends and bolted the brakes back up...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366

Sold

Sold

&

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1788 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.