how to get rid of wheel hop - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 8:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

how to get rid of wheel hop

So ive got MAD wheel hop in my 72 chevelle and ive been reading up on solutions and ive heard that lowering the car will really help. ive heard that no-hop bars work well and ive also heard that having your lower control arms as parallel to the ground as possible will help a lot. So lowering the car will effectively bring the LCA's up in the back making them more parallel correct? mine point down from front to back. My suspension is bone stock at the moment.

1972 chevelle 454 m20 4 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 8:51 PM
Tech Team
Bill

Re: how to get rid of wheel hop

Are all the bushings original? That could be a major factor if they are worn out. I would at least replace the bushings. If you want some additional traction try some lift bars. I had very bad wheel hop and new UMI lift bars fixed it, No more hop.
You are correct that having the rear end too high will also cause wheel hop.

post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

I do have original bushings that i should probably replace. should i go with polyurethane all the way around? i heard that all poly can bind up for some reason? not sure if i heard right on that one. Do UMI lift bars lift the rear of the upper control arms like no-hop bars do? Would that be the cheapest way to go about it after new bushings? Thanks

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 9:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Lowering the back part of the body results in the Rear Control Arm, attached to the Rear End, to be more level to the ground.
But note that if lowered to much then you could/will have a restriction in the height of the Rim/Tire you can run.

I had bought No Hop Bars and they are still in their box, found a better way to fix the Wheel Hop problem.

I had lots of wheel hop on the street with the stock control arms so before I went to the track,
which has more/better traction I bought and installed the UMI Perf Adj Uppers & Boxed Lowers, Rear Sway Bar plus Rear Frame Cross Brackets
possible problem of wheel hop at the track eliminated ahead of time !

Based on info from Ramey from UMI Perf, pinion angle is one factor in correcting wheel hop
and it is also one way to correct driveline vibration .

In doing all my research into making sure I would not have any wheel hop at the track
I also came across various reasons for driveline vibrations at certain speeds and
one of the ways was to install Rear Adjustable Upper Control arms .
Thus the way to solve 2 problems with 1 item I bought & installed the Adj Uppers .

I purchased the following from UMI Perf and found them to be
of the best looking & quality that I have ever seen/used;
1. UMI Perf 64-67 GM A Body Rear Lower Boxed / Adj Upper Control Arms # 402126
2. UMI Perf 64-72 GM A Body Solid Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit # 403534
Oh and also I added the Rear Frame Cross Brackets.
Car launches straight as a arrow and no wheel hop !

As far as I know the Sway Bar is for stopping any movement of the car's suspension from side to side
and likely also stiffens up the rear suspension, which is a good thing !

Air Bags installed in the rear coil springs are good for helping to stop any wheel hop
and stiffin up the ride as well only, will not raise up the rear end .
For My car's stock ride height & old Rear Springs I just put in a set of Air Bags
and run my car on the street with 0 air in the bags,
thus a level balance/pressure on the suspension.
If you need to run air in the bags on the street
make sure the air pressure is the same for both sides!
At the track I put air in both, 5 lbs Dr side and 10-15 lbs Pass side !

If you need any more info let me know .
71350SS likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

so basically your solution was to adjust the pinion angle via the adjustable uppers and you stiffened up your suspension with the boxed lowers and sway bar? would i need those at my power level? maybe ~300hp at the rear wheels?

post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 10:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

You have wheel hop now, right ?

Therefore do what you need to do to get rid of it !

Down the road if you want more power in the engine then your car's suspension is ready for it !

Do not know if your car's pinion angle is okay or not
but if not
how would you fix it with the Rear Upper Control Arms you have on it now ??

Most important part is if your going to lower your car's body
you may affect the Rear Ends Pinion Angle
thus requiring you to check it before and after !

I did not change my Pinion Angle at the time
as the rear ride height did not change

Since then I have done changes to the car that resulted in the Pinion Angles changing
and thus the previously bought and installed Rear Adjustables were already on the car
resulting in easy quick adjustments being done .

Do not forget the Air Bags in the springs .

And Bill is right about the Bushings on/in the suspension that could be wore out,
but if you buy the parts I suggested they usually come with New Bushings or make sure you get all new bushings for the rear suspension .

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 11:00 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

I had the same problem with my 68 Beaumont. I did basically the same thing Greg (Kirk's67SS) did. i installed UMI adjustable uppers, lowers, sway bar and new bushings on the rearend housing. No more wheel hop.
James

1968 Beaumont SD396

1968 El Camino

ACES #7986
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 13, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

ya you're probably right i should just save up and get all the right stuff but at the moment i am a broke 18 year old lol ill be getting a job in a couple weeks so i can start saving then. Out of the parts you listed, what order do you recommend i buy them in since i wont have the money to buy it all at once? im thinking bushings first for sure, then what?

post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 13, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bo

The control arms come pre loaded with the bushings. You could change the bushings in the rear end. That would be cheap and might help a little, but how many times do you want to tear out the rear end? Easier just to install it all at once.

You may not need all the nice UMI stuff. Get 8 new rubber bushings and replace all the old ones. Throw it back together with the stock arms and try it out ...

Is your car jacked up in the back? Bo.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 13, 4:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

ok that sounds good. im fine with taking the rear end apart more than once if i have to. id like to try to save money so ill try the bushings first and put it back together and see how much it helps, then step up to the adjustable uppers. my car is stock height in the back. i havnt touched the suspension at all yet

post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 13, 4:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

I replaced the lower bushings, with new rubber bushings. Replaced the upper control arms with UMI adjustable uppers, new poly bushings in the diff, roto-joints at the frame. I did not adjust pinion angle when I installed them, set the arms to stock length. Wanted to see what the new parts would do. I was tempted to just replace the bushings bit didn't want to have to pull the upper arms again if that didn't do it. I have stock boxed lowers with anti-sway bar.

Well I still had some wheel hop. Don't know how I missed it first time under there but someone had placed spacers under the rear springs. I removed them and wheel hop is gone.

As mentioned lowering the rearend changes pinion angle. It also changes the angle of the upper arms. Changing pinion angle can do this as well. If the upper arms are angled down from frame to axle you're likely to get wheel hop. They need to be level or angled up.

Under launch you get some axle wrap, axle rotates opposite direction of tires. New bushings can help because they won't compress as much and limit axle wrap. If the upper arms angle down as the axle wraps the arms come up, allowing more wrap. Tires grab, rear squats and arms start to angle up which pulls the axle back towards normal position. Tires spin, axle unwraps, arms go down, tires grab, cycle repeats. If the arms are level or up axle wrap is limited. As the rear squats the control arms pull the axle forward, limiting the amount of wrap. Think of the arc the control arm to diff mount points go through under those conditions.

That's why lowering the rear can help with wheel hop. Yes it changes pinion angle but it's the change in the angle of the upper arms that does it.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

Wow that's all great info thank u very much. I'm new to all this suspension stuff, its amazing how little things can change how the car acts completely. I will buy new rubber bushings all around and i will check and see if the uppers r pointed up towards the axle or down and if they r pointed downward i will look into lowering the rear end to get the right angle. Do they sell coil springs that are lowered? Would that be the easiest and cheapest way to lower the rear end?

post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 9:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotar95 View Post
... Do they sell coil springs that are lowered? Would that be the easiest and cheapest way to lower the rear end?
Yes and yes.

Or a few hundred pounds of stuff in the trunk. I noticed with rear seat passengers I never had wheel hop.

Hank

70 Chevelle SS396(454), M20, 3.73

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 9:40 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Let off the throttle. Stops it every time...
NickeyChevelle likes this.

Keith

Owner: World's Fastest 66 Chevelle - really...it's really really fast since I put on that chrome differential cover
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 13, 8:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dakota

ok cool thanks hank for the help. and thanks keith for that greeeaaat tip haha
DUTCH MAX HEADWORK likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in