67 alignment front and back setup help - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rhys

67 alignment front and back setup help

hi all,

hope you can help me out, i am going nuts and the search button is not helping me for a change.

i have just put in the UMI front arms, with a lee steering box 12.7-1. OMG that is the best feeling combination in the world.

now my laundry list of issues i need help on are:

1: I got the sags! I am all over the place in terms if height at each wheel. best part is if i put my 270lb mate in the passanger side it is all level. but he is not good for fuel economy. i am low drivers side front and rear. chassis doesnt seem to be torqued from measuring what i canwith body on,and have no interest in taking it apart anymore.

planned resolution: i plan on pulling front springs out again and check that they are sitting in the pockets correctly and trim up the top coil if required, but not more than an inch than i dont mess with rates.

2: i need to lift the front a bit as the lower springs combined with the tall ball joints i am a touch low for tire clearance, and weirdly enough on the front right. but i am as mentioned above got the sags on the front left.

option: put some poly or metal raisers in it as mentioned in a post by scandc. where he explains the size of shim verses the external lift. but i would need a mixture of shims to balance out the sag and gain some clearance. regardless of problem 1 i will need to do this anyway, but depending on problem 1 i will either need different size shims to settle it down or just a set of shim to give me a 1/2" guard lift.

Now here is the big question....

i am hoping that someone can give me help on setting up the rear end, and how it relates to the front. i have all the adjustable arms under the sun and i need to know if there is a particualr setting or specs i should be aming for? is there a measurment for arm lengths i should be going for?

the car is more mountain driving than anything, not drags as much but i do like a bit of 1/8 mile twice a year at a event where we also do a little autocross.

Now the way i see it (and i am happy to be corrected) the rear will impact on the front as much as anything else in terms of how much tension is on the rear LCA will affect the front ride height. but i dont want to bind the rear end by fixing a problem in the front.

so by pulling down the rear will lift the front, but i am cautious to not want to preload the rear.. i have recently pulled the anti hop bars out of the rear and reset to bars to stock lengths and reset pinon angle to relatively stock. and the right height is good but the traction is horrible. so i clearly need help in this area.

i got the front alignment specs that come with the arms and they are good, and with a little more work i will get them right on, i just got to get the sag to settle down and a couple more alignment shim in different sizes.

so if i am out roughly 15mm around the car from corner to corner and 270lb in the passngers side fixes it all except makes the front right scrub (i need more camber and clearance) what is the overall solution????

help me! i am already bald but trying to pull out the little hair i have left.

rhys

Not smart enough to think of something funny.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Monkey; Jun 9th, 13 at 5:12 AM. Reason: so hard to read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2263 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.