UMI New Product- Drag Anti-Roll Bar for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 9:46 AM Thread Starter
Ryan

Talking UMI New Product- Drag Anti-Roll Bar for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body

UMI Performance, Inc.
Drag Anti-Roll Bar for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body
P/N 4045

UMI Performance, Inc. is pleased to announce the availability of our new Drag Anti-Roll rear sway bar for 1964-1972 GM A-body applications. This 1-3/8 dia hollow sway bar is axle tube mounted using our tried and true CNC machined serrated tooth mounting clamps, aluminum bushing mounts and heavy duty u-bolts. Strong double shear mounts and four high grade 3/8 fasteners attach the race quality rod ends to the chassis. Three position adjustability delivers enough roll resistance to tame your 11 second drag radial car or your 8 second full slick strip missile. The UMI manufactured hex adjusters ensure a perfect fit and provide preload capability to straighten your launch. The P/N 4045 drag bar has been designed to accommodate the factory rear housing, 12-bolt, Ford 9 and Moser M9 while still offering great ground clearance and a clean look (available for 2.75, 3.00 and 3.25 rear axle tubes). These bars are available with tough red or black powder coat and are designed and manufactured with pride in Philipsburg, PA.

www.umiperformance.com or 814.343.6315

Ryan |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
l

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 12:36 PM
Tech Team

Re: UMI New Product- Drag Anti-Roll Bar for the 1964-1972 GM A-Body

Can you post some pictures of what they look like installed? Especially how the end links look when attached to the bar and the frame.
I see you have an introductory price on your website. How long will that price be good?
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 1:02 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5401000 View Post
Can you post some pictures of what they look like installed? Especially how the end links look when attached to the bar and the frame.
I see you have an introductory price on your website. How long will that price be good?
Hello, I posted a few in the drag bar thread yesterday... did you happen to see them?

Thanks!

Ryan |

l

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 1:10 PM
Tech Team

Had to do a search for the post. That post doesn't show up on the threads any more when I go to the Brakes, Suspension & Steering page. Looks like the ends links are much more vertical than on a Spohn bar. The bars are the same for 64-67 and 68-72? The 68-72 has a shorter wheel base so the bar would reach further under the channel, right?
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 1:17 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5401000 View Post
Had to do a search for the post. That post doesn't show up on the threads any more when I go to the Brakes, Suspension & Steering page. Looks like the ends links are much more vertical than on a Spohn bar. The bars are the same for 64-67 and 68-72? The 68-72 has a shorter wheel base so the bar would reach further under the channel, right?
Yes ours will sit straight up and down. We actually put quite a bit of time into this design so it fit properly with all the years. We also strive to offer some of the best products on the market.

There are three holes which is what allows it to work well with all years, two holes work best for 68-72 and two holes work best on 64-67. The third is usable as well but the link won't sit as straight up and down. Basically all three holes work on all years but two will work best on 64-67 and two on 68-72.

Here is the link, post #31- https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...&highlight=umi

Thanks for looking,
Ryan

Ryan |

l

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 3:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

I have a 72 Monte Carlo 12 bolt in my 66 Chevelle. Which part # would i need to go with?

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis95 View Post
I have a 72 Monte Carlo 12 bolt in my 66 Chevelle. Which part # would i need to go with?
The sway bar will fit all 64-72 models. The difference in part #'s is the axle sizes. Below is a link to the sway bar, at the bottom you will see where we ask for axle sizes.

https://umiperformance.com/catalog/i...roducts_id=745

If you have anymore questions please ask. Thanks!
Ryan

Ryan |

l

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old May 16th, 13, 3:56 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Ryan, I've seen various pics of "other" bars installed with the links at a pretty nasty looking angle. I know you're an engineer and not a salesman, in your opinion is this because of a "one size fits all" mentality at the manufacturers? It seems like a guy would want the link pretty much vertical at rest so as to avoid nasty angles at extension and compression.

Seems like moving the link to the front or back holes in the bar would change the effective arm length too? Any wisdom on running the link in different holes on the left and right?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old May 16th, 13, 3:59 PM Thread Starter
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Ryan, I've seen various pics of "other" bars installed with the links at a pretty nasty looking angle. Is this because of a "one size fits all" mentality at the manufacturers? It seems like a guy would want the link pretty much vertical at rest so as to avoid nasty angles at extension and compression.
Tom, my assumption is yes on this. Some angle is okay until the point the bar rotates during launch.

Ryan |

l

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old May 16th, 13, 4:00 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Sorry, Ramey, I edited my post with more questions while you were answering.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old May 16th, 13, 10:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Sam

Ryan,

UMI Performance lists this bar as a drag bar. I see there are three different rates available, I would assume by using one of three different mounting holes - the furthest probably for street/strip - the closest for drag/slicks? What is your thought on the application of using this bar/kit on a street only car? Thanks

Sam

ACES #04967
MCC Maryland Chevelle Club #529
NCOA #14040

What do you mean...you could of had a V-8??!!

1970 SS 454
4 SPD DNE S-T10
Lots of suspension and brake modifications.
Sam
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old May 17th, 13, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sams454SS View Post
Ryan,

UMI Performance lists this bar as a drag bar. I see there are three different rates available, I would assume by using one of three different mounting holes - the furthest probably for street/strip - the closest for drag/slicks? What is your thought on the application of using this bar/kit on a street only car? Thanks

Sam
Hey Sam.

The bar is intended for strip use but of course is safe for a street car. The key is that street car is street/strip and not street/handling. A drag bar creates such a huge roll resistance out back that the rear will step out on hard cornering. With that being said, we have a lot of F-bodies on a similar bar, including our house car, and it works fine for general driving. It's just not for handling. You could use one for drifting I guess...

And yes, on the rates. Longest hole is softest, shortest hole is heaviest. The bar is so heavy on purpose that changing that rate would make a minimal difference though, and would be for fine tuning. We intend the front two holes to be for 64-67 and the rear two for 68-72. All three settings will provide enough anti-roll to help the A-body launch straight and true.

UMI Technical Support

814-376-6000

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old May 17th, 13, 10:08 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Ryan, I've seen various pics of "other" bars installed with the links at a pretty nasty looking angle. I know you're an engineer and not a salesman, in your opinion is this because of a "one size fits all" mentality at the manufacturers? It seems like a guy would want the link pretty much vertical at rest so as to avoid nasty angles at extension and compression.

Seems like moving the link to the front or back holes in the bar would change the effective arm length too? Any wisdom on running the link in different holes on the left and right?
See the thread at the below link for that exact issue. Look for my posts on pages 2 and 3 with the photos and the sketches of what happens.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...&highlight=umi
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old May 17th, 13, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry, Ramey, I edited my post with more questions while you were answering.
Hey Tom.

During our design we never considered anything but vertical links at ride height - it was one of our design criteria to not have a weird link angle. Our bar should achieve vertical on both chassis (64-67, 68-72) due to the hole spacing we selected. Our customers seem to hold us at a high standard, I guess , so we try to make sure fitment and function is as nice as possible before a product release.

As for offsetting the end links, I haven't really thought about that yet. We have had some good success with offset shock settings resisting body roll on drag cars so I'd imagine something could happen in the bar area. I'll have to put my theory cap on and think awhile...

One thing with the anti-roll bar, the rates are so high on purpose it might not matter much. As an example, some anti-roll bars are in the 2500 lb/in range and some are in the 1500 lb/in range on the same type of product from different manufacturers. Both bars functions have great reputations in the industry so it seems that once we get so high, any additional rate neither helps nor hurts. There's probably a point where it's just too much and would render a car too stiff but we don't approach that number in the industry that we know of.

UMI Technical Support

814-376-6000

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 13, 9:30 AM
Tech Team

Ordered mine on May 20 and still have NOT received it! It shipped on June 4 and was supposed to deliver June 6. UPS seriously screwed up my weekend. It's been stuck in Jacksonville (excuse was broken rail car?) since June 6 and now say it won't deliver until June 10! It only takes 3 hours to drive from Jacksonville to Tampa. Arrgh!! Put the damned thing on a truck and drive it here!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2248 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.