Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!! - Page 6 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #76 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 1:53 AM
Tech Team
david

I am running into the same issue. My lower passenger side but stripped off and my control arm fell out. Luckily it happened I. My driveway as I was driving in so I made into the garage with little damage

My question for you guys is, when ordering the new ball joints (after reading I'm just going to replace all of them) what year make model am I ordering for??? Any have any part numbers for uppers and lowers that will fit in these over seas control arms??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 2:43 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!!

go to Rockauto.com. go thru their catalog listing deal. look up your car by make/model/year, find the front suspension and steering stuff, order up all you want in Moog brand. Their quality hasn't changed that I know of. Last batch of stuff I got was all Made in USA.

Those control arms should take stock service parts.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #78 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 16, 3:12 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by david2015 View Post
I am running into the same issue. My lower passenger side but stripped off and my control arm fell out. Luckily it happened I. My driveway as I was driving in so I made into the garage with little damage

My question for you guys is, when ordering the new ball joints (after reading I'm just going to replace all of them) what year make model am I ordering for??? Any have any part numbers for uppers and lowers that will fit in these over seas control arms??
Not sure if you picked up on it, but Tom likes Moog. So do I.

Moog K5103 Lower
Moog K5108 Upper

post #79 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 1:21 PM

im going to bring this back to life a bit, and ask the guys that have the ebay knock off tubular control arms, if they in fact help with steering feel,

i am rebuilding a 1968 Beaumont aka the Canadian Chevelle..... and would like it to steer like a newer car and not a boat. So to the guys that actually have these arms, do they work? and yes they will
be getting better ball joints put in them if i do buy them. and maybe rubber bushings and not there cheap poly ones, unless you can tell me if there bushings will last.

also would the a offset upper control arm shaft get me the same results? if so i would just rebuild my stock arms with a offset shaft. but i just can't find a hard answer,

and are they stock ride height or do they drop the car any?

thanks.

Last edited by pooch327; Jun 13th, 16 at 2:01 PM.
post #80 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 3:12 PM
Tech Team
Bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch327 View Post
im going to bring this back to life a bit, and ask the guys that have the ebay knock off tubular control arms, if they in fact help with steering feel,

i am rebuilding a 1968 Beaumont aka the Canadian Chevelle..... and would like it to steer like a newer car and not a boat. So to the guys that actually have these arms, do they work? and yes they will
be getting better ball joints put in them if i do buy them. and maybe rubber bushings and not there cheap poly ones, unless you can tell me if there bushings will last.

also would the a offset upper control arm shaft get me the same results? if so i would just rebuild my stock arms with a offset shaft. but i just can't find a hard answer,

thanks.
I have them, and you can see them in my thread. First, I feel sort of ****ty for buying them as I would like to keep the money in country. Having said that, I have every reason to believe that the arms I have are not GW knock offs, but probably previous gen GW arms. I took the liberty of swapping out the ball joints but used the cross shaft that came with it.

With that out of the way, they aligned fine to 1/16 total tow, -2.5deg camber, and almost +3.5 caster. The car feels MUCH better. The front doesnt feel like its going to roll over on itself. They made the car MUCH tighter in the corners.

Disclaimer, when I did this I also lowered the car 2" on springs. So that contributed to the handling improvements. But the steering wheel feels much less spongy and that is a direct improvement from the arms.

1969 Chevelle Malibu 396BB, DNE2 4speed (do not want - would sell), 12 Bolt, 18x9.5 Snettertons with 245/40 and 285/35s Conti3s.
My Build thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wanted - 2" Cowl Hood. Would trade my 4".
post #81 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 5:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

Changing to a Fast Ratio power steering gearbox will also increase road feel dramatically.
barrrf likes this.
post #82 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 5:41 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:

thanks.
I have them. I have the ones that look exactly like the older Global West geometry plus arms. In fact I think they are the same part, either leftover stock or the factory in China that made them for GW kept making them for Ebay sellers after GW changed the design. The ball joints are a lower spec though.

Everyone is right about the ball joints. The uppers in mine were loose after a couple hundred miles. I replaced them with moog. I'm keeping an eye on the lowers for now, they seem ok so far.

I was able to easily get 6 degrees of caster with them. The car handles much better with these. I also added at the same time 1" lowering springs with a higher rate and a 1 5/16 swaybar from summit, their house brand stuff. It's not expensive and works well.

Though it handled much better, it still steered like an ocean liner with the original steering box. I changed to the jeep grand cherokee box and now it steers like a modern sports car.

The bushings seem ok. They are greaseable so if you keep them lubed they should be fine.
dmg1029 likes this.
post #83 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete 67 View Post
Changing to a Fast Ratio power steering gearbox will also increase road feel dramatically.
i am for sure going to do the Jeep swap as well.
post #84 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 8:59 PM

this is exactly what i wanted to hear. thank you!

did yours keep the stock ride height or did they drop the car? i can't fine the answer to this ....
post #85 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 9:14 PM

well i said screw it and just ordered them, uppers and lowers, and also ordered a set of boxed rear arms and adjustable uppers for the rear. total of $850 CND or about $666 USD.... even after is replace the ball joints its under a grand so that isn't so bad .

im hitting the pick and pull this week to get a steering box and some S-10 rear brakes.

thanks guys
post #86 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 9:25 PM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Quote:
this is exactly what i wanted to hear. thank you!

did yours keep the stock ride height or did they drop the car? i can't fine the answer to this ....
I couldn't say, I changed the springs at the same time.

They shouldn't lower the car.

Quote:
well i said screw it and just ordered them, uppers and lowers, and also ordered a set of boxed rear arms and adjustable uppers for the rear. total of $850 CND or about $666 USD.... even after is replace the ball joints its under a grand so that isn't so bad .

im hitting the pick and pull this week to get a steering box and some S-10 rear brakes.

thanks guys
I paid $260 for the front arms on Ebay and got some UMI rear upper and lower tubular arms for $289. I had no need for adjustables.
post #87 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 16, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
I couldn't say, I changed the springs at the same time.

They shouldn't lower the car.

I paid $260 for the front arms on Ebay and got some UMI rear upper and lower tubular arms for $289. I had no need for adjustables.

ya the front arms were $269 US and the rear boxed lower and boxed adjustable uppers were 291 for all 4.
the shipping and import fee's are what kill me lol. we always get screwed when buying things in canada lol

i need ( or so iv been reading that i will) adjustable uppers as im putting a LS in when i get to that point.. so may as well do it now.
post #88 of 107 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 16, 9:42 AM
T_R
Senior Tech Team
Tom

Well everyone was right. After the upper joints got loose at 500 miles, I replaced them with moog. Now at 3000 miles the right lower is loose. I noticed when changing the oil the other day. Going to have to change the lowers for moog too. Arms themselves seem ok.
post #89 of 107 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 16, 11:55 AM
BTK
Tech Team
billy the kid..

Quote:

thanks guys
imagine the cost of gw or umi a-arms with our dollar plus the the shipping rape..now we are looking at almost 2k..ya I bought the chinese a arms
post #90 of 107 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 16, 7:38 PM
Team Member
Kevin

I bought these arms before finding this site. Only have a couple hundred miles, if that, on them then the car has sat on jack stands for about three years. The boots on the BJ's look like bad all ready. I am going to put Moogs in them, but I had allready bought ProForge .50 tall uppers a while back that I was going to use in the stock arms. Any benefit to using them in these arms? Car is on QA1 coil overs with UMI sway bar, 70 ElCo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 453 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.