Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!! - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 9:49 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Re: Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia69 View Post
I try to use Moog. Never had a problem with their stuff.

ditto
Moog is great quality.
At least the last time I bought.
Might be China now, who knows.

reading on down:

You mean if you put the boot on the ball joint stud and put the stud in the control arm and seat it, the boot will not cover the ball in the socket?
If not, its the wrong boot
there wont be much room left when the ball joint is seated for a boot.

Dave

1969 Chevelle 460, 3.73 posi
Auto Gear Super Case with M22 gears
12.11 @108 mph
Top speed 114.23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Dave View Post
ditto
Moog is great quality.
At least the last time I bought.
Might be China now, who knows.
Just installed all MOOG parts in my 72, still Made in the USA.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 15, 11:36 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Just installed all MOOG parts in my 72, still Made in the USA.
Unfortunately, MOOG doesn't make the X-tra tall +.9 ball joints, so if/when us drag racers opt for such items on our street/strip cars, we don't have much of a choice. There's Proforged, which might be the Chinese stuff, and Howe racing, (which is supposed to be made here in the USA, but they don't even offer dust boots with them which are long enough to cover the +.9" longer ball studs.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).

post #64 of 107 (permalink) Old May 15th, 15, 7:26 PM
Tech Team
George

Question Re: Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ragtop View Post
I guess I got lucky today, had the ragtop out for only the second time since Thanksgiving, first time being Sat. Anyway, as I turned into my driveway, heard a snap, right front dropped and all went wrong. Shut the car off, got out to investigate, broken stud on the lower ball joint. Managed to coax it about 150 ft. to the shop by placing a floor jack under the control arm. Disassembled it, and replaced the ball joint. I earn my living as a tech, so I paid close attention as I disassembled to see if it was something I should have seen to cause this. Stud was tight in the OEM GM knuckle, had to whack it good a bunch of times with a small sledge hammer to knock it out. Comparing the new joint to the broken one, saw a scary difference in the ball joint studs. The ones supplied in the China tubular control arms were football shaped, below the taper that fit into the knuckle, they tapered back smaller again as it got to the "ball", which was where it snapped. The replacement joint had a taper to a heavier straight stud. The one that snapped measured about .620" where it broke, the replacement measured about .792" in the same spot. Car is now parked till I get a chance to replace the other lower ball joint. If you have these arms, I suggest you do the same. I got lucky, busted up my plastic inner fender, pretty sure it was original. I took some pics before and during repair, will add them soon as I can. I use my car a lot, weather permitting, these arms, and ball joints probably have about 8-10K mi. since the install. Very disappointing. Oh yeah, I'm ready for the "I told you so" chorus. Sadly, when I ordered the replacement joint, "You want a good one or a cheap one?". Me, "Give me a good one, a cheap one just snapped." Checked COO, "assembled in the USA". Probably with the same China crap parts. Sucks they have this wiggle room to say where stuff is made.
Jim
From whom did you purchase the control arms?
post #65 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 15, 7:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcs67ss View Post
From whom did you purchase the control arms?
Sorry for the delay, just seeing this question now. Mine were purchased on Ebay, KMG Motorsports or something like that.
Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
post #66 of 107 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 10:40 AM
Tech Team
Ryan

We use Moog and Proforged ball joints in all of our control arms that are bent an welded here in house. The only time that we hear of problems out of them is when people get them in some crazy bind then wonder why they fail.
hydro462 likes this.
post #67 of 107 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 12:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

Unless you you actually need the improved camber curve and added caster whats wrong with the factory arms. I wouldnt bet the chinese junk arms are even close anyway. The us companies like global west spend all the time engineering parts that work only to lose out on thier investment by cheap chinese knock offs made by cheap chinese labor
post #68 of 107 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 3:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnicholson View Post
Unless you you actually need the improved camber curve and added caster whats wrong with the factory arms.
It depends on the intended purpose. For drag racing applications where the use of .9"+ taller upper ball joints are desired for the added front suspension travel they offer, you cannot use factory arms. They will wear out quickly where the ball joints are mounted, causing an unsafe condition

post #69 of 107 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 15, 3:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Gary

I understand, I have different upper arms on my drag car for the caster increase. I just meant for general driving the factory set up is durable and works fine for most people.once you start changing spindles , brakes and trying to upgrade the geometry I would want parts engineered to work not some Chinese knock off.
post #70 of 107 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 15, 2:20 PM
JPS
Tech Team
Joe

Jim, or FYI to others here @TC, I have the same LCA's from the same seller on my '70EC, but I suspected the BJs when I got them, so I had a local auto-machine shop r&r w/MOOG BJ's for these lowers.
That was back in 2011 and no problems w/LCAs -ever. Thats about 30k miles so far, being usually on piss poor paved surfaces of San Diego and freeways, with my sometimes '19 yr old drive mode', so it hasn't been light duty use.
spiirriit likes this.
post #71 of 107 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 10:50 AM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

its a damm shame nothing made in this country anymore 90 percent is junk from china
post #72 of 107 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 11:13 AM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

does ground up restore support american made
post #73 of 107 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 1:52 PM
JPS
Tech Team
Joe

Last time you flew on a commercial jet, it likely had replacement parts made in china-
Your computer or cell phone is likely 90% made in china parts.
Just sayin'...
post #74 of 107 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 15, 7:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Last time you flew on a commercial jet, it likely had replacement parts made in china-
Your computer or cell phone is likely 90% made in china parts.
Just sayin'...
electronics are one thing.... forgings, castings, and welding work is another. Electronics haven't anything to do with metallurgy.

post #75 of 107 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 16, 5:08 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

The Chinese also make excellent steel, it's the importers who spec out the cheap crap to make money..

Proforged seems to be the way to go today.. Proforged - Severe Duty Chassis Parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 481 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.