Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!! - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 13, 6:42 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Ball joint snapped in offshore tubular control arm!!!

not at all sure where you're coming from there Bill. This is a new current production made in USA Moog ball joint. Looks good to me.

I wouldn't put any of that low friction stuff in a street car that's going to getting any miles.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7466.jpg
Views:	3612
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	75506  

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 13, 5:20 AM
Banned
Anthony

Anyone got part numbers for a good quality lower joint? I happen to have a set of said control arms and have heard about the ball joint issues. Mine arent on the car yet so now is the time to remedy the issue.
post #18 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 13, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevellefan View Post
Anyone got part numbers for a good quality lower joint? I happen to have a set of said control arms and have heard about the ball joint issues. Mine arent on the car yet so now is the time to remedy the issue.
I think most any name brand should work, beware of no name generic type. The Carquest I do business with asked "You want a cheap one, or a good one?" The "good" one was a Raybestos Pro Grade, assembled in the USA. Night and day difference in the studs. I have the broken one, and the one I took out of the other side sitting in the Raybestos box on the bench, can get the actual part # tomorrow if you'd like.
Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 13, 11:52 PM
Banned
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ragtop View Post
I think most any name brand should work, beware of no name generic type. The Carquest I do business with asked "You want a cheap one, or a good one?" The "good" one was a Raybestos Pro Grade, assembled in the USA. Night and day difference in the studs. I have the broken one, and the one I took out of the other side sitting in the Raybestos box on the bench, can get the actual part # tomorrow if you'd like.
Jim
Yeah Jim if you wouldnt mind that would be great. Thanks.
post #20 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 13, 12:00 AM
Senior Tech Team
Keith

This kind of stuff is exactly why I write long screeds about esoteric details of metallurgy and why I rant about lack of vendor quality control via ASME approved testing methodologies.

This China thing is totally out of control.

What's it going to take? Is one of us going to have to get killed before the rest get serious about challenging vendors who keep stocking measurably substandard/defective parts?

Yes, it is a hassle to pursue, yes it takes time, yes it costs more to select excellence and to support vendors who prefer American made, American raw materials sourced parts...but It is worth it.

Rant over
Keith
post #21 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 13, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevellefan View Post
Yeah Jim if you wouldnt mind that would be great. Thanks.
Anthony, Raybestos Pro Grade part # 505-1009
Jim

72 Chevelle SS conv
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 13, 1:25 AM
Banned
Anthony

thanks jim. Going to try and get to the auto parts store this weekend to pick up a couple.
post #23 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 13, 8:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
This kind of stuff is exactly why I write long screeds about esoteric details of metallurgy and why I rant about lack of vendor quality control via ASME approved testing methodologies.

This China thing is totally out of control.

What's it going to take? Is one of us going to have to get killed before the rest get serious about challenging vendors who keep stocking measurably substandard/defective parts?

Yes, it is a hassle to pursue, yes it takes time, yes it costs more to select excellence and to support vendors who prefer American made, American raw materials sourced parts...but It is worth it.

Rant over
Keith
post #24 of 107 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 13, 6:08 AM
Tech Team
Sergio

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrrf View Post
also ProForged makes a nice ball joint

I thought ProForged was made in U.S.A. and not until i had them installed in my lower control arms did i find out they are made in Taiwan. It's a bummer, should have went with Howe. The guys at UMI that i talked to did seem to think they are good.Here is hoping they never snap on me.
post #25 of 107 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dennis

Garage
Send a message via MSN to satch1967

Great read,, Back in the 80's I used to use all moog stuff. I really liked it. Just getting back into the game again and like to hear about all the new stuff and the good and bad.
post #26 of 107 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 11:22 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Andy

Did anyone mention Moog?

Stupid name, pricey, lifetime warranty, Tom loves them, and made in the USA.

FTR, I have never installed Chinese junk in my customers cars, from a Camry to a Super Duty. Never been sued from damage resulting in a broken tie rod end or ball joint either. Or any other reason for that matter. Is there a correlation? I think so

Couple of junkers and a few clunkers.
post #27 of 107 (permalink) Old May 1st, 13, 11:45 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ragtop View Post
Anthony, Raybestos Pro Grade part # 505-1009
Jim
Might check rock auto. They have all the raybestos stuff and with coupons to cover shipping often cheaper than local shops. Yeah, I know...support your local shops...and thats all fine and dandy but sometimes my wallet cant support my plan to support my local shops although I do that whenever possible.
post #28 of 107 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 7:35 AM
Tech Team

I also bought a set of these "chinese" tubular arms. I'm installing them this week and I usually read the car forums when upgrading to see where other people suggest advice.

After reading this thread I looked at the ball joints installed in the new a-arms and sure enough they tapered down below where the spindle attached. I sure am glad that I read this thread as I was probably just going to use them until now. So then I start looking at the upper ball joints and they are also inferior quality. To make a long story short, I will be replacing all the ball joints today with american made quality parts.

I guess at the price they sell for I should have been more attuned to caveat emptor.
post #29 of 107 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 4:42 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

RockAuto has good pricing on MOOG. Recently MOOG prices seem to have come down some. Somebody on here thought they were making stuff in Mexico, but my latest big box of MOOG was USA stuff.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #30 of 107 (permalink) Old May 15th, 13, 5:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

....so are the ball joints the only downfall to these Chinese A-arms? I've always been under the impression that the arms themselves were problematic. Are the Chinese arms good as long as they have good ball joints? If so, I may redo my front suspension sooner than I planned!

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 453 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.