Brakes won't bleed - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Brakes won't bleed

I replaced my power brake booster and got my m/c and everything painted up real pretty.I go to bleed the brakes today(with the wife pumping the pedal)and for some reason,I can't get fluid to come out at any of the wheels.In fact,I couldn't even feel air coming out when she was pumping.I thought I had bench bled the m/c correctly but,now I'm starting to wonder.
Do I need to rebleed the m/c or is my problem somewhere esle?
I did remove the lines from the m/c down to the block on the frame so I could clean them up but,after I cleaned them up,I just reinstalled them.So,really,nothing changed and everything was working fine before.

Mark
'71 Heavy Chevy "clone"
(just like my first car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 1:06 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
Re: Brakes won't bleed

Why not just open up the bleeders on the 4 wheels and let it gravity bleed. Keep an eye on the fluid level in the MC...
Also make sure the brake pedal pushrod is adjusted correctly...not applying any pressure with the pedal at rest.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 1:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Bill,Are you saying open all four bleeders at once and close them as the fluid comes out of each one or,should I start at the fartherest away and do them one at a time?

Mark
'71 Heavy Chevy "clone"
(just like my first car)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 1:24 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

All @ once...just monitor fluids closely. Don't let the MC go dry. You can leave the cap off when doing this. Close a bleeder when fluid appears.
Works great for me even when first filling a completely brand new set of lines.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 1:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

I think I'll try your method.
I've got speed bleeders on my car right now.I'm guessing I should trash those and go back t0 the stock ones before I go any farther.
The speed bleeders worked great for me when I replaced my rear but,I don't they would work for gravity bleeding.

Mark
'71 Heavy Chevy "clone"
(just like my first car)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 1:47 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Also helps too if the front of the car is up on ramps or jack stands...raised higher than the rear.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 1:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanks Bill,
I know now what I'll be doing tomorrow on my day off from work.
I'll post the results.

Mark
'71 Heavy Chevy "clone"
(just like my first car)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 2:02 PM
Tech Team
Jerry

I think you have to bench bleed the MC first. Search that topic to learn technique. Autozone carries a bench bleeder kit that is simply a set of tubes that connect to the two outlets on the MC and loop back into the reservoir. You clamp the master in a bench vice (hence the term "bench" bleeding) and force the piston in and out with a blunt object to bleed ALL the air out of the MC before you connect it to the rest of the brake system. I used a big screwdriver with a rubber cap on the sharp end so as not to damage the piston. Good luck!

Jerry
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 8:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
todd

If you didn't bench bleed it, don't worry, you don't have to remove it. Just bleed it in the car but "nice and easy!"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 13, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jeff,,

i jack mine up ,put on jack stands take 4 small cups ,glass jars ext ,4 1/4 clear hoses fill up each jar 1/2 way crack bleeder screw ,open master up fill up and go in house,drink beer go to bed ,wake up close bleeder screws ,fill master back up,u rested and done.

When I start drinking the real Johnny Cash come's out,,

Jeff Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 3:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Okay,here's an update on my brake bleeding situation.
I removed the m/c and RE bench bled it.Bubbles all out,no problem.I put the m/c back on the car,hook up the brakes and decided to give the gravity bleed method a try.Well,after about two hours,nothing.No fluid coming out at the bleeder screws at all.
So,I go to Sears and buy a Mityvac.I'm thinking this has got to be the answer.
It's not.Still no fluid coming thru.

Soooo,now what?
I'm thinking it's got something to do with the combo valve down on the frame rail.
Here's a picture of the valve I'm talking about.Could it have gone bad?
The brake line is not as close as it looks to my header,just a weird angle to take a picture.

Mark
'71 Heavy Chevy "clone"
(just like my first car)
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 4:00 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

take the master loose, pull it forward off the studs. put 2 or 3 flat washers on each stud, put the master back on. try it again. this is a temporary diagnostic aid to determine if the rod that goes into the back of the master is wrong on the new booster. sounds like you may have a problem with the master not releasing all the way. if the rod is too long the master won't pass fluid properly. Did I mention temporary?

You could also compare the new and old boosters, see if they have the same length rod on the front.

you can also try loosening the master so it'll pull out on the studs, then push it back in. it should seat flush on the booster without the rod hitting the piston in the master. If the rod is preloaded there will be troubles.

The combo valve on the frame, there's nothing that can go wrong with it that blocks off fluid to both ends of the car at the same time. forget it, what's changed here since the brakes worked right is the booster.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 4:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Tom,I've already compared the old and new rod lengths,they are exactly the same.

You say the combo valve blocks off fluid to both ends at the same time?
I'm not getting any fluid out of any of the four wheels at all.Could that be it?

Mark
'71 Heavy Chevy "clone"
(just like my first car)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 7:09 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I said:

"The combo valve on the frame, there's nothing that can go wrong with it that blocks off fluid to both ends of the car at the same time. forget it, what's changed here since the brakes worked right is the booster."

I'd try the spacer/washer trick.

with the master bolted on as now, no spacers, will fluid run out of the brake line fittings if you loosen the lines? If so, go down to the block, loosen the inlet fittings, fluid should run out. If it does, loosen the outlet lines, fluid should run out.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 13, 7:51 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

Just something to check here. A few years ago a friend converted his Chevelle from manual to power drums and couldn't get the brakes to work. It turned out the new booster had some kind of seal or cover on the back of it that was supposed to be removed but wasn't. Bottom line is, the booster must be able to "breathe" on the back side for air to enter it when the diaphram moves toward the front when the pedal is depressed. The styrofoam looking thing on the back of the booster must be unobstructed. That's where the air enters. The symptom was the pedal was very hard to depress.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2495 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.