Drum brake assembly with detail pics - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 7:59 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Drum brake assembly with detail pics

These are the slightly used drum brakes off the back of my 70 Chevelle. They were replaced with disc a few years ago, so have been sitting around in a box for a few years. They were used but very low mileage, I sold them to another member who is building up a car. When I built the rear (a 66 12 bolt) back in 2003 I scrounged around to find the backing plates with the little water/mud guard on the bottom half and found the brake drums with the big cooling fin somewhere. Anyway, posted the pics up on photobucket, you can click through or run the slide show. I tried to get lots of detail pics so guys who are not familiar with this stuff would have something to go by. Usually there would be an axle flange getting in the way but for purposes of ilustration it would just get in the way.

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/v...e_build102012/

Comments/criticism always welcome

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Oct 26th, 12 at 8:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 8:16 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Re: Drum brake assembly with detail pics

Very Nice Job. Tom

David

1965 El Camino 327, M22
2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L,

But when you get right down to it,
no matter what you try
You deal the cards, give the wheel a spin
(Alan Parsons Project)
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 8:37 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

David, where are you in Tempe? I'm in the NW valley near the 101 and 59th Av.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 9:19 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bruce

Tom,
Looks to me like those backing plates have wear marks in the cross hatched areas where the shoes make contact with the backing plates. My backing plates actually have grooves in those areas. How critical are those to proper operation and can they be repaired? I'm thinking I could weld those grooves and grind them level with the rest of the pad?

66 El Camino 396/325HP 4-Spd
My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

62 Corvette 327/360HP (original RF engine and Fuel Injection) (future restoration project)
66 Corvair My son's project. Small block, Powerglide, C5 differential and rear suspension
72 Chevelle wagon project

Last edited by AZCamino; Oct 26th, 12 at 9:57 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 12, 11:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bo

Good post Tom. Brings back memories. If you don't rebuild drum brakes everyday, it's always good to have some pics to refresh the memory. It's super basic, but there's a lot of pieces and a lot of springs, lol.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 2:05 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Bruce, as you know I've been working on this stuff for many years. drum brakes, since 1973 or so. I've never been able to tell by driving a car or by tearing down the brakes if it did or didn't have those wear grooves in the mount pads. As noted, these were on my own car several years with good results.

I believe the backing plates are stamped from mild steel and weld easy. If I had a welder handy I'd probably weld them up. You just have to have enough of the waffle pattern part left to use as a guide to level down the welded part down to. Any English teachers present, ignore that last sentence.

If you look carefully at the pics of the shoes you can see the little kinked in areas where the shoes ride on the pads. This means the shoes don't need the pads to be perfect. Some brands of shoes have a little folded over tab there, apparently to add to the surface area touching the wear pad on the backing plate. I don't think I've seen GM cars with this, I think they were all Japanese. I'll help you do yours if you want.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Tom,

Thanks for the photos. Good for future reference.

NOTE: One thing you did not mention, which may be obvious to many readers, but it totally slipped by me when trouble shooting front brakes.

The car would dart to the right on hard braking. No adjustment would prevent it. All new bushings and ball joints - nothing loose.

Pulled drums. All new parts from prior owner. I had drums turned. Reinstalled - no help.

Finally took it down to my local independent repair shop. He pulled the drums and immediately noticed that the shoes were installed incorrectly.

Right side had both of the rear shoes (longer lining).
Left side had both of the front shoes (shorter lining).

The shop R&R'ed shoes in proper position and that solved the problem.

NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had forgotten all about this little tidbit since I hadn't worked on drum brakes since the mid 20th century.

Now for the good news:
Before getting the brake shoes installed properly, I was driving about 45mph in the hill country at night and a deer darted in front of me from right to left.

I hit the brakes and the car darted to the right just enough to miss the deer. I guess the Chevelle gods were watching over me.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 11:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Tom, I am near the 101 and the US 60.

David

1965 El Camino 327, M22
2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L,

But when you get right down to it,
no matter what you try
You deal the cards, give the wheel a spin
(Alan Parsons Project)
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I drive down that way about once a month, but it's usually during the day on Mon or Tues. I'll send you a msg here on the forum when I know what day it is, maybe we can have lunch or something. I end up at Alma School and Chandler.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 12, 10:06 PM
Tech Team
jeff

nice pics tom, i just finished painting my frame and started bolting up the control arms and the steering box, i plan on hanging the spindles tomorrow,then putting the brake assembly back together, your pics came in the nick of time.. LOL Thanks Tom,,, jeff
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 12, 5:43 AM
Tech Team
Sergio

Wish you posted this a month ago Tom when i first tackled my drum brakes for the first time. The process was a bit scary but once you do it once it's not that bad.

Thanks for the pictures, im bookmarking this one.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 12, 2:09 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

sticking to the top for awhile, getting several PMs on this assembly.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 13, 7:14 PM
Tech Team
Phil

Hi, Guys ... my car darts to the right when I stab the pedal ever since I rebuilt the fronts last July ...(I just had it out for a test run . -- rain had washed the salt off the streets here for awhile) ... I'll check, but I'm nearly certain I had all the primary and secondary shoes correct --- adjustment seems equal on both sides... the wheel cylinders weren't replaced and they pulled evenly prior to the rebuild ...
My question is ... can one side be bled so much better than the other that one side reacts quicker ??? or, doesn't it work that way?

Phil - N.C.O.A member # 8500
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 13, 9:12 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

not really thataway.

Easy cheap check: have the frond end/suspension checked at a front end shop if there's one available. If there's no bad bushing or ball jonts or steering linkage it's probably the shoes.

Pull the front wheels, then the brake drums/hubs. both sides should have a short shoe and a long shoe. the short shoe should be forward on both sides. You should be able to check the adjustment by wiggling the brake drum as it goes back on, before the outer bearing is in place or even before the inner bearing goes all the way on.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 13, 11:29 AM
Tech Team
Cyrus

Only thing missing or gloossed over is:1) to remove parking brake cable from backing plate use a heater hose clamp to compress the tangs and small punch to knock cable out gentley. 2) to engage the parking brake lever over cable to use pliers to hold ball end and cutters to hold the spring back till you have arm installed.

Very good pictures for those that didn't do that type of work when these cars were driven as daily cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Tags
drum brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2155 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.