Make your own BB 66 power steering pump! - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 1:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Make your own BB 66 power steering pump!

Like many of you, I've fought the battle of finding the "correct" 66 power steering pump. Like some of you, I bought an expensive reproduction "correct" PS pump from NPD. "Oh yeah, it's absolutely correct" said the counter guy. Right.

NPD pump, like most everyone else's is NOT correct. Yep, has the remote reservoir alright - but it's the truck pump. Easy to spot because the low pressure return line is pointing UP, which is the wrong direction. Wrong dimples in the back to, etc. Of course the pump internals are VERY similar to 66, but they are not the same. Probably will work, but very irritating that the return hose now sticks up awkwardly into the engine compartment.

I can swallow my pride on the missing dimples on the back of the pump, but dang it, it just looks Jethro to me to see that pump hose all boogered up and sticking up into the engine compartment.

I see this all the time. "Correct" high dollar restorations on Fleabay of 66 / 67 SS Chevelles with the wrong PS hose sticking up! Goofy and substandard, but what to do when we just CAN'T find the right pump, or don't want to pay 300 dollars for it?

Anyway, here's a quick, easy and cheap way to make the truck pump work a little better for the application. Still won't be exactly correct, but the hose routing will now look right if you do this little trick.

First, if you don't have one, you can pretty easily get the late 60's truck pump version with the upward facing return pipe for about 50 bucks from places like RockAuto. Look close. Some of them even have the correct studs on the back - the ones with the thin heads. Some don't. Chose wisely.

Once you get your new "almost fits the 66" truck PS pump, here's the trick:

1. Disassemble the pump and remove the rear housing. Don't fret. It is very easy to take off the housing. Remove the pulley with a 7/8" socket and an impact wrench. Spins right off and the pulley will fall off in your hand on a new pump. Don't ding the pulley. They bend VERY easily.
Now, gently clamp the nose of the pump in a vise, backside up. There are the two studs and the high pressure valve held in by the 1" sized nut and flare hose fitting. unscrew those three things I just mentioned, and lightly tap the housing around the edge. It will pop right off.

2. After you remove the housing, saving the three o-rings that you'll find in there (1 on each stud bolt and 1 on the big 1" pressure fitting) then carefully protect your exposed pump in a clean box or other clean location. Dirt is BAD.

3. Now, remove the black paint from the housing. It's cheap nitro lacquer on most of them. No big loss. I glass beaded mine off in 30 seconds.
4. Gently clamp the housing in a vise, backside up and taking GREAT care not to squish it. Use blocks if necessary to give it proper support.
5. Using your trusty oxyacetylene rig, heat and loosen the return pipe. It's just brazed in there with a slight swage at the end on the inside of the housing to position it.
6. Before the braze loosens up, stick a Phillips screwdriver in the end of the pipe. When it hits the melting point, just gently rotate the pipe 180 degrees. be patient, go slow and the pipe won't even dislodge. Once you've rotated it 180 degrees, touch a little additional braze on there to refill the gap and strengthen the joint.
7. Cool off the housing and examine the braze joint. If good, reclamp the housing in the vise.
8. Now, using a fine flame on your torch, gently heat the return pipe about 2" back from the end. Get it cherry red all the way around, in a band about 3/4" wide. Using the same screwdriver you used to rotate it, apply GENTLE pressure in the first 2 inches of the pipe that is not red hot and apply light pressure while maintaining the heat. Do this until the pipe will just move at the red hot point without collapsing. Bend it to be slightly more parallel to the rear surface of the housing. Just move it about 3/8".
6. Cool off the housing, bead blast it to get any loose flux off. Thoroughly clean it up and reassemble as you took it apart. Repaint to taste.

That's it. Instant 66 compatible PS pump with correct hose routing for the return pipe.

You can do a suction test with your mouth or a MightyVac and a gauge by plugging the high pressure orifice and the remote reservoir opening. If it holds vacuum, it won't leak fluid

Of course it's not REALLY correct, but it's closer than what you'll see on many so-called "high quality restorations" and it won't cost you hundreds of dollars like the real deal.

Cheers,

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 1:10 PM
Senior Tech Team
Bruce

Location: White Bear Lake, a northeast suburb of St. Paul, MinneSNOWta
Garage
Re: Make your own BB 66 power steering pump!

CQQL. Perhaps you could create a cottage industry for yourself and our hobby by marketing corrected P/S Pumps?

Our You Tube Vids:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Keith

Hi Bruce,

Yeah just what I need - another project! :-)

I felt a little funny posting it because I reckon it's a little cobbled up looking compared to those truly correct pumps which ARE available from reputable restoration houses. Anyway, perhaps this tip will help someone who wants it closer to right than not, but who can't or doesn't want to drop 200 for a truly correct pump.

Dunno - just thought I'd share the idea. Maybe someone else will run with it.

Keith

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 11:30 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Hey, if it works and looks OK

I used the power steering from a big block 71 Suburban on our 67 - SS 396 and nobody ever mentioned that they noticed the slight difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 12, 11:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Elroy

Garage

thanks for the great post !

66 SS396 resto pics

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 12, 2:17 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

hard to see that detail on the back of the housing once the pump is on the car. just sayin'.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 9:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolBlueGlow View Post
Hi Bruce,

Yeah just what I need - another project! :-)

I felt a little funny posting it because I reckon it's a little cobbled up looking compared to those truly correct pumps which ARE available from reputable restoration houses. Anyway, perhaps this tip will help someone who wants it closer to right than not, but who can't or doesn't want to drop 200 for a truly correct pump.

Dunno - just thought I'd share the idea. Maybe someone else will run with it.

Keith
So, if I send you my housing, you'll fix er all up and send it back ... I'm willing to pay for the time and, of course, round trip delivery.
I also have the truck pulley # 3925537 DC and need the matching crank add on pulley. Anyone know the correct number to get ??

70 Chevelle SS 396, M20 Oshawa built Z25 project.
66 Chevelle SS 396, Atlanta built 138 driver/project.
67 Camaro, ss/rs 350 LA built driver/project.
62 Impala SS with a transplant 409
1954 210 2 dr sedan 292 6 cyl, straight axle project
38 Chev coupe...355, 200r4, 8.5" 3.08 posi
69 Chev C10
89 R3500 roll back car carrier
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 12, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech Team
jerry

HAWHAW! See what you started, I wonder if MartinSr gets requests??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 13, 7:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Hey, my name is Jethro and I take offense to that................

John Austin
Katy, Texas
'70 SS454 Chevelle "clone" project
My combo:496 BBC (454 +.060), Muncie 4 spd, Centerforce dual fric clutch, "781" heads 2.19/1.88, 12-bolt 3.73 Eaton posi, Scat forged rot assm (21cc Wiseco slugs for 10.4:1 CR), Lunati Voodoo billet 60213 hyd roller, Lunati hyd roller lifters, Scorpion 1.7 #SCP1014 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holly 850 Dbl Pmpr (1" spa), Carter 172 GPH mech fuel pump, MSD R2R dist. #8360, O'reilly Master Pro coil, Weiand high volume mech water pump, 772 stock 7 blade fan, Hayden clutch, fan shroud & Hi-flow 160 deg T-stat, Doug's 2" x 3 1/2" headers

2006 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2012 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2213 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.