Drop spindles lowering springs and full length headers - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 1:24 PM Thread Starter
Jonathan

Drop spindles lowering springs and full length headers

Hey Guys,

I got some questions for you guys that have put the drop springs and spindles on your rides that have headers.

My car is a 68 v8 with ac with stock spindles and springs new shocks. I am running 215 70 14s with full length headers. My headers are 3 inches off the ground with a stock setup. How are you guys dealing with that if you do drop spindles and lowering springs????????
I know that will not lower the headers anymore that they currently are but getting the car down that low do you run into issues.

Jonathan
1968 Chevelle 307 powerglide factory AC car all original.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 1:37 PM
Tech Team
Roy

Garage
Re: Drop spindles lowering springs and full length headers

I think this could be more a question about headers, and how low they are sitting on car.
I have 2" drop spindle, 1" lowering springs, 215 60 15 and about 3.5 " clearance to crossmember.
I have full lenght Hedmann headers with 2" primary and 3" collector and they have about same ground clearance as crossmember. But the headers sit really tight to body. Other claims other brands of headers sits lower.

Roy

'70 Malibu HT, 427 (soon to be Wolfplace 555,
THM4L80E with Compushift,
12 Posi - 3,91 (to be 3,25)
Heidts front/rear control arms/swaybars
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 1:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Helps to have headers that tuck up to the body and some are better than others.

I will take a guess and say you have Hooker Long tubes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cu. in. "cruiser"
Assembled & Tuned by
Dallas, GA

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 1:43 PM
Tech Team
Mike

You will definitely run into clearance issues when lowering your chevelle with full length headers, especially on the drivers side as that collector always seems to sit lower. I run 2" McGaughy's drop spindles with adjustable Qa1 coil-overs and I've got it adjusted down a total of 3" in the front and there is only about 1.5-2" between the collectors and the ground. I'm running 18" wheels with an overall tire diameter of 26.1", not sure what yours measures...just something to keep in mind with that small of a wheel. Caution is definitely taken when manuevering over speed bumps or just avoiding them when possible. The collectors will likely end up flat on the bottom should you choose to lower the front 2-3", but being something you really can't avoid, the better stance def outweights a few scrapes on the header inmy opinion!

Hope this helps! Good luck.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
Jonathan

These headers were on the car when I bought it. They are some sort of coated with some chrome like shine look good but I never did find a brand on them. The drivers side collector is lower that the pass side and I have scraped it some driving.

Thanks for the info guys !!!!

Jonathan
1968 Chevelle 307 powerglide factory AC car all original.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 3:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

"I know that will not lower the headers anymore that they currently are but getting the car down that low do you run into issues. "
Both dropped spindles and dropped springs WILL decrease your long style header ground clearance. In some cases dropped springs may not affect it. For example, a new spring with a mild drop like 1" or even 2" may not make the car sit any lower than the old stock springs that are fatigued and have sagged from their original ride height.
I put 2" drop spindles and 2" dropped springs on my small block '66 and it was too low. Ended up replacing the springs and got back to back to around a 2" drop, which was plenty for my wheel and tire setup.
Long tube headers are going to be a problem 90% of the time with cars lowered over two inches that see frequent street driving. The way I got around the clearance issue was to start out with a set of Hedmann Shorty Elite headers, which feed into 2-1/2" exhaust pipes. Any good muffler shop can bend an exhuast pipe from the headers to under the car which will provide a lot more clearance than full length header ever can. I keep reading how shorty headers will cost some power versus full length, but for 99.9% of Chevelle owners driving on the street, they would never be aware of the small, if any, loss of power from the shorty style headers.

TXCR13
1966 Chevelle 300 2dr Sedan
385, Flat Top Hypers, Performer RPM, S.M.I. 750 Q-Jet, 72cc Dart Platinum 200cc runners, U.D. Harold 223/233 112 LSA Cam, 700-R4, PS, Manual Disc Brakes, AC, Hedman headers with 2-1/2" exhaust.

1946 Studebaker Coupe- street gasser finally underway!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 12, 4:55 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Your best bet is to get better headers. Hedman headers are probably the best for not hanging any lower than they have to.

See? Headers are not hanging any lower than the lower control arms or frame crossmember.

My wagon is lowered 2-3 inches from stock and the headers aren't likely to ever scrape the ground.

NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998

Rich Cummings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 2949 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.