Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some... - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 3:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Wink Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some...

So finally after a lot of reading/researching decided to upgrade to the jeep box. I had the day off from work but drove down and did it there so I could use the lifts, work benches, and the other unlimited resources a shop offers. Got a rebuilt jeep box from Autozone, rag join #200 from Advance auto, and Lee's hose adapters. All in all about $150.

First I used white out to mark the center/up position of the steering column where it attaches to the rag joint. Then drained the PS fluid and lines from the box.[IMG][/IMG]

Next I removed the bottom bolts of the St. box. I just loosend the top bolt so I could use it to swing upwards when removing the Pitman arm from the spline.

One needs to be replaced...

Removed the castle nut from the center link and nut from the pitman arm spindle. The nut for the pitman arm came off rather easily, but then again I was using a 3' 1/2" breaker bar

[IMG][/IMG]

Using the pitman arm puller first I was able to separate it from the spline. After I swung the box upward and propped it up out of the way, this left me room to put the ball joint puller in there and pop that sucker loose. After that it was just the last bolt on the box, and she popped right out...

Something here seems out of place...

Work station...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 3:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Re: Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some...

Installed the new fittings from Lee's, and new rag joint in new box.

Cleaned up the pitman arm...original serial numbers!

Installation is pretty easy, just reattaching things...

I installed the pitman arm using the nut to feed it up onto the splines as far as possible,and torqued it down to 130 ft lbs (maxed out my impact gun as well). I also rotated the arm from stop to stop on the box, counting then centering it back halfway to find the center, fortunately it lined up perfectly with where the steering column was sitting

Then all I had to do was re-attach the hoses, fill her up with fluid (making sure no leaks) and bled the air out of the system.

**As recommended I gave it an alignment afterwards, as the steering wheel was just off center **

Test drove-good to go.

So there you have it, yet another steering box upgrade completed sucessully! I must admit it was a lot more stiffer than I thought it would be, but it feels really nice, just like a new car! It just feels better to drive now, like many others here I highly recommend this upgrade. I hope this post/pics helps anyone else who wants to do this in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 6:49 AM
Senior Tech Team

Tremendous thread, terrific pics, super attention to detail!

Excellent job, thoughtfully done!

This thread will help lots of folks!

Thank you!

post #4 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

Which port is the high pressure and which is the low/ return?

I just got mine swapped yesterday, but no jack or lift for me (sadly). Counting the new, smaller pulley I got from the yard and the box from ebay as well as paint and the rag joint from advance I have $68 bucks in the swap. All I need to do now is figure out which line is which.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Anybody need a power steering pump/ box / pulley with intact lines from a 71 chevelle?

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
post #5 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech Team
Aaron

bigger port is high pressure.

what lines did you use?

i used the metal return and put a rubber hose on it, and the high pressure i bought an ZJ jeep high pressure line, cut the pump side fitting and about 2" off, and flared with a 3/8 thread to mate to the stock p/s pump.

works good, but my box is used from the junkyard 17.50$, 73-87 chevy truck rag join- free, and 25 for the line. my box could use a rebuild or something, but i am just going to get a lee box

aaron

1971 Chevelle: L96 6.0, 232/244 cam, t56, 411's, 460whp/430wq...still trying for 11's.. 12.3 @ 115 1.89 60'
post #6 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 11:46 AM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

We've gotten a couple of junkyard JGC boxes that weren't any good. Probably from a front end wreck.
And no real need to mark the rag joint position...it will only go together one way.

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #7 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 1:41 PM
Senior Tech Team
Stu

My issue was getting the pitman arm back in the right place. I'm using the lines from the p/s pump off my ls motor. On the high pressure the fittings match up, and for the low I found a piece while cruising the junkyard that screws into the port on one side and accepts clamped hose on the other, which sounds similar to what you did. The only issue is that my pump pulley mount was stripped on the inside so I couldn't use the press to get it on as far as it needs to go to line up with the rest of the serpentine system. Guess I need a big mallet or something.

L92 / 200-4r -> T56 71
post #8 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 10, 2:05 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ron

I did notice those out of place Lexus in the picture. The Chevelle was the only car in the photo that belonged in such a nice garage..

Very good post.

I would have cleaned up the area around the steering box with a pressure washer before working on it and I noticed you cleaned up the mounting bolts really well then inspected them. I think the inspection part is missed a lot. Glad you made the point.

Ron

My car is here:

post #9 of 779 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 10, 3:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Stu, pretty much what the other guys said, the bigger port is for high pressure, I.E. the hose thats been pressed into the metal fititngs.

Ron, yeah I wanted to, I was able to get around to pressure washing around the frame, but after I took the box off is where most of the gunk was, and I'm sure my co-workers didnt feel like helping me push it all the way to the pressure washer and back
craigs66 likes this.

post #10 of 779 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 3:20 PM
Jon

So the original pitman arm works on the JGC box? Also what rag joint are you using ? The Dorman 31011 ?

Thanks thats an awesome post by the way!
post #11 of 779 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 11, 4:04 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Yes it is, and stuck to the top now. Thanks for taking time to write it up.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #12 of 779 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 5:23 PM
Tech Team
Mofoe

read throught this thread.... great job with the pics and all. wanted to ask the reason for this upgrade tho? is it better ratio for little money?
post #13 of 779 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 11, 6:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofoe73 View Post
read throught this thread.... great job with the pics and all. wanted to ask the reason for this upgrade tho? is it better ratio for little money?
fast ratio box for far cheaper than a lee or other box and doesnt fubar the turning radius like other common transplant boxes.

"I know a lot about cars, man. I can look at any cars headlights and tell you exactly which way its coming." - Mitch Hedberg
post #14 of 779 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 11, 9:00 AM
Tech Team
Joe

What year JGC did you use?
post #15 of 779 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 11, 5:12 PM

How many turns lock to lock? Box ratio is...?

67 Malibu
05 GTO
03 IS300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in