Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some... - Page 52 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #766 of 791 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 8:59 PM
Jason

Garage
Re: Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some...

I am currently doing this swap. Got a box out of a 97 grand Cherokee at Pull-a-part. Just rebuilt it and the PS pump. Can I use ATF or do I need to use PS fluid for the box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #767 of 791 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 19, 9:22 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Since they are both about the same cost, I'd use power steering fluid. However, I do admit that I have used ATF before with apparently no ill effects.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #768 of 791 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 19, 12:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52bombardier1 View Post
Since they are both about the same cost, I'd use power steering fluid. However, I do admit that I have used ATF before with apparently no ill effects.

Rick
Power steering fluid..

TC #0672
1972 SS 454 M22
"W " Code Midnight Bronze

post #769 of 791 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 19, 8:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Beth

Garage

Here's a great article by Jeff Smith on this topic.

In the comments section, there are updated parts listed to adapt these steering boxes :

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/...arly-chevelle/

67 Chevelle convertible, 138 vin, original 4 speed, bucket seats, Marina Blue with black interior
post #770 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 3:23 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Yes, dragging this thread to the top again.

So I have spent a few days reading every-single-post in this thread and have come up with a parts list. Though it does still sound like a crap shoot to get one from AutoZone, Advance Auto or Rock Auto, or even a junkyard (these JGC are over 20 years old now). Best bet may be to send the original to https://benchworksteering.com/ and have them build it to your specs (12.7:1 radio with 2.02 T-Bar)?. The couple of people that used them didn't post $$$ though.

One burning question I had while reading through this that was never answered was why were so many people using the flare to metric adapters or worrying about the right hoses when you can (I think?) easily make your own with -6 AN fittings?! There were only TWO posts by those that did exactly that (one with nice photos). Here are the parts I found that should work (but have not confirmed):

EAR-961955ERL -6 AN to 16mm x 1.5 Male
EAR-961956ERL -6 AN to 18mm x 1.5 Male

Then use 3/8" PTFE hose (it can handle the pressure) and female PTFE compatible AN fittings on the hose. Looks great and can customize exactly how to route them. That's my plan...

But before I jump in though, I want to investigate the hydroboost setup (get pump from '80s K10 truck that has 2 returns), and a collapsible steering column for my '66.
post #771 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 4:40 PM
Tech Team

CARHEX (Hector Carillo) is now selling rebuilt Jeep GC boxes

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Scott
post #772 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 7:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn317 View Post

So I have spent a few days reading every-single-post in this thread and have come up with a parts list. Though it does still sound like a crap shoot to get one from AutoZone, Advance Auto or Rock Auto, or even a junkyard (these JGC are over 20 years old now). Best bet may be to send the original to https://benchworksteering.com/ and have them build it to your specs (12.7:1 radio with 2.02 T-Bar)?. The couple of people that used them didn't post $$$ though.

One burning question I had while reading through this that was never answered was why were so many people using the flare to metric adapters or worrying about the right hoses when you can (I think?) easily make your own with -6 AN fittings?! There were only TWO posts by those that did exactly that (one with nice photos). Here are the parts I found that should work (but have not confirmed):

Then use 3/8" PTFE hose (it can handle the pressure) and female PTFE compatible AN fittings on the hose. Looks great and can customize exactly how to route them. That's my plan...

But before I jump in though, I want to investigate the hydroboost setup (get pump from '80s K10 truck that has 2 returns), and a collapsible steering column for my '66.
I would consider the collapsible column as well at the time. And I didn't use any adapters for fittings either. I converted to a more modern pump at the same time and used a Camaro pressure hose with O-rings on both ends, and I used the Jeep fitting for the return line.
The difference between stock power steering and the JGC box is more different than the JCG box to anything else. The stock on mine was over 4 turns lock to lock, now just over 3, and while much firmer feel, it is not hard at all. The factory power steering was WAY overboosted on mine, a baby's pinkie could steer it, zero effort, zero feel, and had to hand over hand making turns.
Gunn317 likes this.

1967 El Camino Malibu - Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350, FiTech 600 complete!,Roadmaster tank, 700R4, Underdash A/C in progress, JGC Steering, 1990s truck serpentine.
post #773 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 7:26 PM
Senior Tech Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
And I didn't use any adapters for fittings either. I converted to a more modern pump at the same time and used a Camaro pressure hose with O-rings on both ends, and I used the Jeep fitting for the return line.
dit toe

'69 Malibu
post #774 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 7:46 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:

I did (doing) my 66 with PTFE lines.

I used a new Borgeson 12 to 1 box and collapsible column also from Borgeson. Also going with Hydroboost.

You can see some info in my build thread, staring on post 21.

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/10329833-post21.html

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Gunn317 likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #775 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 10:49 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Here are the parts I found that should work (but have not confirmed):

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I did (doing) my 66 with PTFE lines.

I used a new Borgeson 12 to 1 box and collapsible column also from Borgeson. Also going with Hydroboost.
How do you plan to connect the hot-rod hose to the pump?

For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
post #776 of 791 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 19, 10:53 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
How do you plan to connect the hot-rod hose to the pump?
What is a hot-rod hose?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Gunn317 likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #777 of 791 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 19, 1:45 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
What is a hot-rod hose?
Quote:
3/8" PTFE hose (it can handle the pressure) and female PTFE compatible AN fittings on the hose.
Quote:
PTFE lines.
Pretty much any "stainless steel braid over [rubber liner] [Teflon/PTFE]" hose and fittings that are sold as "AN" even though that's false advertising.

For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of an engineered virus from their Wuhan laboratory. Two trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there.
post #778 of 791 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

Garage

[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sglide View Post
Recently, I read an article on the Jeep swap-over and it mentioned that you have to change the pressure valve in the stock GM PS pump to the higher pressure valve. However, I don't remember ever reading that in any of the forums. Can someone shine a light on this for me? When you swap over to the Jeep box and you use the original PS pump, did anyone change the pressure valve in the pump to the higher pressure valve? Or, did the stock pump work OK with just the hose change-over? Thanks!

The pressure valve is set to 950psi in pre-1970 cars, 1450psi in '70 and up, according to Jim Shea. If you've got a '70 or later car, you're fine, if not, you've got to take the pressure valve from the donor car, which is the fitting the pressure hose threads into on the back of the pump - it just unscrews. As an added bonus, a later pressure valve will have the later O-ring seal, but the pump end will be the same and will thread into your existing pump.

- Eric

I found this WAY back in the beginning of this 52 page post and it got me thinking.
The PS pump on my LFX V6 is rated for 1.7-2.1 GPM @ 1633-1754 PSI. Same as an LS mounted pump.
Will this higher pressure make the steering feel “over assisted”? I already swapped to a 12:1 Saginaw 800 box and while it turns quicker it still feels overly assisted. I did a similar Saginaw 800 swap in a 67 and it felt way stiffer.

66 Chevelle hardtop - LFX 3.6 liter 4 Cam V6/6L50 6 speed auto trans, 3.07 10 bolt, full Hotchkis suspension, Wilwood 4 wheel discs, white with red interior, cowl hood.
post #779 of 791 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 19, 11:59 PM
Gold Founding Member

Gear ratio, and torsion bar diameter (stiffness) inside the steering gear, and hydraulic pressure from the pump, all play a part.

The Jeep GC box does not have the biggest-diameter torsion bar, only the second-biggest (as I remember it). Far stiffer than the original, though.

post #780 of 791 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 20, 11:05 PM
Tech Team
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967 chevelle malibu View Post
My box was rebuilt by Benchworks in Scottsdale AZ.Benchwork Steering Systems
Would you mind telling what the cost was for Benchworks to rebuild your box?
Thanks Wes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in