Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some... - Page 39 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #571 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 1:04 AM

So it just had a quick question about doing the jeep steering gear box swap. I'm about half way through mine and I noticed that the oem gearbox has a little nipple that sticks out the end of the gear box pointing towards the steering shaft and the new jeep box does not have this. Is this an issue and if so how do I go about fixing it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466658097402_1466658166522.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	369394  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 1:07 AM

This is the oem box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466658366438_1466658396148.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	369410  
post #573 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 1:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Jeep box upgrade-PICS-and then some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys72 View Post
So it just had a quick question about doing the jeep steering gear box swap. I'm about half way through mine and I noticed that the oem gearbox has a little nipple that sticks out the end of the gear box pointing towards the steering shaft and the new jeep box does not have this. Is this an issue and if so how do I go about fixing it?
Same with me. Use the correct rag joint and you won't have any problems.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX

post #574 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 7:37 AM

The jeep rag joint for the jeep box?
post #575 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 1:28 PM
Tech Team
Wayne

My jeep steering box doesn't have that nipple. I bought two out of a junk yard and neither had the nipple.
post #576 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 4:16 PM

It's the 72 chevelle box that has the nipple
post #577 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 11:35 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Craig

This thread appears to be the "reference" thread for the JGC steering gear update, so I thought I'd add some new information I received this morning from BBB industries. BBB industries is the company that rebuilds many of the steering gears sold in the US. They recently purchased ATSCO, so they provide the gears for Autozone, ACDelco and many others. I simply asked them if they sold a steering gear that provided the exact same specifications as the JGC gear (I.e. 12.7 ratio, 87 degrees (43 degrees, 30 minutes each direction from center) of pitman arm travel and 3.1 turns lock to lock on the input shaft. Their response:
"No sir we do not offer an exact replacement for your current gear"

This confirms my measurements obtained from two Autozone gears and two ACDelco 36g0070 gears. All were 14 to 1 "generic" gears that were assembled to fit many applications. This also seems to contradict the popular belief that these companies just throw together the remanufactured gears with whatever parts happen to be returned as cores. I believe they know exactly what they are doing and they have decided that a 14 to 1 box is the best generic match for their business. This also convinces me that it won't be possible to buy a remanufactured 12.7 JGC gear, so the only option will be a used gear obtained from a JGC, or one of the more expensive aftermarket gears from AGR, Turn One, or the others. Does anybody have any measured data obtained from remanufactured gears that shows otherwise? I'd sure like to find a "correct" JGC gear, but don't believe that it's currently an option. Please let me know, as I'm hoping somebody will prove me wrong.
Craig
BTW - I sent the same inquiry to Lares, so I'll update my response when and if Lares responds
post #578 of 783 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 16, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Joe

Garage

I heard back from Lares within 5 days when I contacted them in March. I didn't get all the details I wanted via email so I called and spoke with someone fairly easily.

-Joe
Team Chevelle #2680
'69 Malibu Convertible
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #579 of 783 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 16, 11:11 AM
Todd

Is there a difference between the 66 chevelle pitman arm on a manual vs power steering box. Is the spline shaft bigger on a chevelle power steering box.
I purchased a JGC 7525 rebuilt box and my pitman arm from my old chevelle steering box seems to small. I seem to remember there was two different ones but I cannot remember if it was power vs manual or hardtop vs convertible.
Can anyone shed some light on this subject?
I am doing an LS conversion and wanted to add power steering during the project.

Have you ever wondered why the only thing common in all of your dysfunctional relationships is YOU?
post #580 of 783 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 16, 6:42 PM

If you are converting from manual to power, then yes, you will have to replace the pitman arm with one for a Chevelle that had power steering. The holes aren't same size.

All the info is in the last 500 posts and you can search within just this thread for what you are looking for.
66partspile and streetperf like this.
post #581 of 783 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 16, 5:18 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
James

Wow, this thread got long

post #582 of 783 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 16, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69307/350Chevelle View Post
Wow, this thread got long
Way too long for a simple conversion.
streetperf likes this.
post #583 of 783 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 16, 10:06 PM
Tech Team

Doing the swap on a manual steering 66 el Camino. Got a 96 jgc used box with code wk on it. I also bought the lares 200 rag joint. The steering shaft seem a little to long. With every thing connected there is a gap between the steering wheel and colum.. anyone run into this?
post #584 of 783 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 16, 11:26 PM
Tech Team
Scott

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bag'n View Post
Doing the swap on a manual steering 66 el Camino. Got a 96 jgc used box with code wk on it. I also bought the lares 200 rag joint. The steering shaft seem a little to long. With every thing connected there is a gap between the steering wheel and colum.. anyone run into this?
Doesn't the steering wheel attach to the column? Hard time understanding the gap problem.

70 Chevelle
post #585 of 783 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 16, 10:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Verle

Is the rag joint on the steering box spline as far as it will go and is the steering shaft all the way in?

Did you compare the new rag joint (length) to the original? It is not impossible for the rag joint to be wrong even if the box has the right number.

Verle
Tulsa, Ok
65 Chevelle L79 since Feb 1965

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in