Anyone have trouble with pre-bent brake line kits fitting? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Dec 18th, 00, 8:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

This weekend I tried installing my pre-bent OEM brake line kit. How disappointing. The kit looked real nice but it has to go back.
I am working on a '71 Chevelle with a disc brake conversion using all the same factory parts. I've done this brake conversion before using the original lines with no problems, but the brake line company is pointing to the fact that this isn't "factory" as the problem. Fitment problems are at the combination valve and the front hose brackets.
Has anyone had problems with fit of pre-bent lines on cars with out the conversion? I'm talking 1/2 to 1 inch too short on some lines.
The combination valve should be physically the same size as the distribution block, isn't it? The front hose brackets are the same size/shape as the drum ones. They're thinking the frame locations might be different from drum to disc, but I have a hard time seeing that the General would re-tool the frame for these two brake systems.
What are your experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 18th, 00, 8:50 PM
Tech Team

haven't used OEM lines, but recently just changed mine to stainless from Fine Lines-The fit very well and it took a little extra finessing to get the fittings to line up, but the general shape was there. They werent short or anything like that. If you can pick up a set it cost like $200 for every single line. The guy Don there is great. I bought BAER brakes and they use some funky master cylinder and don took back the original lines from the master cylinder and bent me new ones to fit my application, and he didn't even charge me one cent! Givem a call
Old Dec 18th, 00, 9:43 PM
Gold Member

The proportioning valve is actually a bit longer than the distribution block; it sticks out toward the front a bit more. So, the line to the right front brake will seem too long if you are using the lines for a drum brake car. So far as I know, all the others are the same.

Old Dec 19th, 00, 5:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Yeah, I was wrong on that statement. I did order lines for disc brakes and the right front line fit perfect at the valve, across the cross-member, but was 3/4 short at the hose bracket.
I was going to set the engine in next week, can the right front line still be put in with the engine in place?
Old Dec 28th, 00, 5:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Well, I had to send the lines back since they didn't fit. I sent the old lines too, measured and took pictures to have (what I thought) make new lines made that would fit.

They pointed to the fact that I "converted" to disc brakes. (71 Monte Carlo discs into a 71 Chevelle). The error was at the brake hose frame brackets. Now, I've seen several disc and drum hose brackets, and the only difference that I can see is the hole for the hose and thickness of the top. NOT, the shape or placement on the frame, right? And I verified the right/left ones were on the correct side.

Any way, I got the new set back today and installed the right front one. It had fit perfect before but was 3/4" short. Now doesn't fit well at all. Instead of making a new line, they cheated the corners to make up the extra length!! Where it had come over the right frame nice, now hits the frame hard and still barely reaches. I had to tweak and bend a little to make it reach.

Some times you just can't win. Tomorrow I'll try the front to rear line which was 1 1/2 too short. I hate to see how the did that!
Old Dec 28th, 00, 6:09 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Do you mind if I ask what company you are dealing with? I'll make it a point not to buy my kit from them. Can someone tell me how to get ahold of this "Fine Line" company that was mentioned above? I need to order a kit in the immediate future and I want to get a kit that isn't going to give me a headache. Or if anyone has any suggestions to a different company, I would like to get a stainless set. Thanks
Old Dec 28th, 00, 6:46 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino
I bought the complete set of stainless lines for my Elky from Classic Tube up in western NY state (Lancaster, I think). The fit was excellent. I told them I had a disc brake conversion kit and they made the lines accordingly.
Bill

------------------
Bill Burke
TC#613
ACES#3920
67 El Camino-completed??
64 Biscayne 2dr.-in progress

67 El Rat-Before
67 El Rat-Now
Old Dec 29th, 00, 7:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

Snydes
There is a policy against bashing, and I respect that. I will tell you that I called around and this tube company had same day shipping which was a plus for me and their price was in line with all the others.
I was dissapointed in the fact that the first line was perfect except for one area needed to be longer. Instead of leaving the perfect part alone, it was fudged to fit. And I still can't blame the frame brackets which was where the shortage was at. I haven't tried the other line yet.
Old Dec 29th, 00, 8:45 AM

Hey I order my brake lines & the one at the master cylinder was bent wrong & had to rebend it to get it to fit my car, the others fit good with minor tweaking on then. I contacted the maker of them & they told me that I must have had Firebird brakes on My Camaro, If I did then the General put them on it when it was made at Norwood in 09C of 66 because I changed the 4 piston caliper setup off to a single piston setup off of a 69. & the lines that I needed were the front to rear lines & the rear axle lines!I don't belive in bashing the vendor but it was a lot of money for them when I could have done it cheaper bending my own lines & any other lines that I need in the furture i'll make myself.
------------------
johnnyr

[This message has been edited by johnnyr (edited 12-30-2000).]
Old Dec 29th, 00, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chevl71:
Snydes
There is a policy against bashing, and I respect that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I understand that you don't want to turn this in to a bashing session, I just think if a company is giving someone the run around, I don't want to buy from them and have a similar experience! My project has been sitting for quite awhile as I needed to find the time and money to start on it again. And I haven't spent any time reading car magazines or on message boards collecting info like I used to, so I am totally 'out of the loop' so to speak. And now I have no idea which companies are the ones to buy from and which companies aren't. That's all I'm really saying.
Old Dec 29th, 00, 5:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Doug

The front to rear line (after a little re-shaping) turned out good. I worked on the right front like and it's looking acceptable, so on to the next part of the project.

Snydes; hints are sometimes hard to see, read my last post
Old Dec 31st, 00, 12:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I was just trying to fit the lines on my 67 Elky disc conversion. What a bummer. They arent even close - too long, too short - wrong bends...
Musta been a bad day for these dudes. I hate it when these $$$$ parts are unuseable. When I get to be King of the World I wont allow it!
Phocksphyre
Old Jan 2nd, 01, 11:47 AM
BC
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to BC
snydes,
try www.finelinesinc.com

I haven't tried their brake lines yet, but I got some stainless tranny cooler lines from them that were top quality, so I will give them a shot whenever I get around to doing the brake lines.

Hope that helps,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
Old Jan 2nd, 01, 7:19 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Thanks Bill, I'll give them a try.
Steve
Old Jan 3rd, 01, 10:25 AM

I just put on fuel & brake lines from Fine lines. Went very well, had to tweak a few curves here and there but otherwise fit is fine. I used stainless brake lines and steel fuel lines.

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6893 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.