Hotchkis 1" springs, sway bar, and AGR Steering box. WHAT a difference!!!! - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mark

Well, I just had to post this. Even without the alignment done or any hard driving yet, the changes I just finished making on the suspension for my '70 are absolutely fantastic. I cannot believe the results, and highly recommend them to anyone wanting a relatively stock look with dramatically improved handling. And not harsh, either! I can't wait to really try it out when I get a little more comfortable and have the alignment finished.

Here's what I did:
Polygraphite bushings
Boxed FRONT lower control arms (See FO_FDYFO's site http://www.einstyn.com/ )
All new steering parts - tie rods, center link, idler arm, etc.
All new ball joints.
AGR steering box and pump.
Hotchkis 1" lowering springs front and back
Bilstein shocks front and back
Hotchkis 1-3/8" front and 1" rear sway bar
17 cuts, scrapes, bumps and bruises

Mark

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt

Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 1:51 PM
Tech Team

Xtreme,
Hope I'm as satisfied and excited as you are when I get mine finished! I bet it really tightened things up on that red velle, probably handles better than new. Sorry to hear about all the scrapes, bumps and bruises. I think I've got 23 and I'm not quite finished yet!!! [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Can you help me out with my sway bar bushing questions in my post in here?

Scott Wolfe
Leck Kill, Pa.
70 Chevelle SS L34
70 Wife (Special Edition)
11 Sierra 1500 6.2 liter
10 Ford Fusion Sport
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 2:08 PM
Tech Team

That is awesome dude. I still have not completed my front suspension but cannot wait to do it. The rear suspension did SO much for my car i know the front is going to be even more DRAMATIC.

GREAT TO HEAR, also reading up about boxing the front lower control arms.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 04, 9:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mark

You guys will love it when you're done - I've never had a car that stayed so flat around the corners, and it doesn't eat up every bump in the road. I'm REALLY happy with the results.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 04, 5:06 PM
Tech Team

can you compare the handling to a modern car we would all be familiar with?

planning very simmilar setup.

TIA
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 04, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mark

I ride in a BMW 5-series with the "M" setup, but I haven't had the opportunity to drive it. Thats about as close a comparison I could come up with is to compare it to the Beemer.

The newer cars I've driven are front-drivers (new Maxima) that don't even come close and aren't worth a mention. I wish I had a camaro or vette to use as a basis, but I can't help there.

If you're considering it, don't wait - it was SO worth it!!! Tight steering, instant response to input, totally stable, and very, very tight in the corners.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 04, 8:35 PM

Im looking to do the same thing you are using hotckings sway bar and AGR Box steering box with poly bushings but im lost on shock what kind of shocks did you use on the rear and also is KYB shocks good also to use. And did you change your spindles also to B-Body spindles are kept your stock spindles
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Mark

I kept my stock spindles, and decided on bilstein shocks all the way around. I've had bilsteins on my trucks, they last forever and have always worked great. The most miles I've had on them is about 135,000 and they were still good, so I decided to try them on the chevelle.

I also used air bags in the rear springs but haven't played around with them yet.

I've heard no negative comments on the KYB's - a lot of people here seem to use them and like them, too. I'm sure they would be a good choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5634 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.