NO Residual Check Valve? - Disc brakes - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 04, 8:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Wow, I'm really struggling with this. I pulled the flare seat from the rear port of my '69 #309 Master Cylinder ... and there is no check valve. So I looked at my other #309 Master, and again no check valve.

So I called the placed that sleeved my master (Ron Karp's) ... and he's telling me that they really never had a check valve in the master cylinder. GM mis-wrote the Service Manuals, and the check valve is somehow incorporated with the Metering Valve.

Can some of you confirm, or deny this?

I'm thinking more like my master was "rebuild" by an AutoZone type place along the line ... and they did a hap-hazard job leaving the valve out. But both of my master's ... and the one I have apart doesn't even appear to be machined for the little valve/spring?

What's the scoop?
Neal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 04, 1:12 AM
Tech Team

As far as I know residual check valves are only for drum brakes not discs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 04, 9:22 PM
Tech Team

residual check valves are for drum brakes UNLESS the master cylinder is mounted BELOW the front disc brake calipers. We just put disc brakes on a 51 ford, and the kit we bought came from master power brakes. the instructions say that there should be a 2 lb. valve to the front brakes, and a 10 lb. valve the the rear drum brakes. the master cylinder is a corvette style unit mounted under the drivers floor pan.
hope this helps
Chip
p.s. the ford had brakes when we were thru!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 04, 9:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Yeah, I got the part that the residual valve is for drum brakes. That's why I thought it perfectly normal that the Overhaul Manual said it would be in the rear MC port.

Now neither of my original's have the valve, and my builder is saying they were never there.

I'm trying to find someone who has actually removed the rear flare seat on an original Master ... and either found or not found the check valve. I honestly don't get how the system works without it?

Thanks, Neal
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 04, 9:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

I pulled out the flare seats on a 70 a couple of months ago looking for them. There were no residual valves under there. I remember seeing them in drum/drum masters on some Wagner replacement cylinders, but that was years ago.
----------------
Jon N.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 04, 7:07 PM
Tech Team
Dennis

Send a message via AIM to purple66bu Send a message via Yahoo to purple66bu
so what would hold pressure on a disc brake then if they are not there???.We have a 69 camaro that with a different master(not sure what it is from)the left front brake is holding and if you crack the line loose at the cliper it releases.Were lost
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 04, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Purple ..... the condition you are describing usually comes from a bad hose. A hose can get a "flap" on the inside that will restrict the flow out of the caliper back to the master.
---------------------
Jon N.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 04, 12:43 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Send a message via AIM to purple66bu Send a message via Yahoo to purple66bu
they are the original hoses.Car only has 25,000 original miles and its mostly 1/4 at a time.I will let him know and have hime check it,he said when he pumps up the brakes the right one turns but drags like normal but the left one takes two hans and barely turns.If he lets it sit for awhile (couple days) then it spins free.
Dennis
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 9:11 PM
Senior Tech Team

dyno would this cause a caliper to lock up. my driverside is locked but the pass side isnt. i just changed the front to discs back is still drum. im confused on my situtation. do u think u could help
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 04, 11:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

In the scenario purple66bu described the caliper released when the hose was loosened at the back of the caliper. If that works for you, suspect a bad hose. If the caliper is still locked up or dragging badly, the problem is in the caliper.
--------------
Jon N.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 04, 1:03 AM
Senior Tech Team

jon what in the caliper might that be?
sorry for post steal purrple
jon
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 04, 9:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jon N.

Rust, dirt, pits or a combination of them. A torn boot will let water and dirt get into the area between the piston and caliper. The thin chrome plating on the pistons gets scratched off from the dirt and the whole thing rusts. A rebuilt caliper should cost $20.00 or less with exchange for a single piston caliper. Check the caliper bolts too. Cost about $5.00 each. Replace them too if they're badly rusted and pitted.

Jon N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5634 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.