13" Vette Rotors On Your Cars?? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 9:08 PM
Paul_ McConnell

pdq67 here.

I hang out over at the other site (Team Camaro) and thought that I would pop over and see what's going on.

Actually, I forgot my pass words and had ta e-mail to find out what they were since, stupid me didn't use the same ones at both sites.

I've been making a 5/16" thick flat steel caliper bracket that will mount a truck wide big single piston caliper with a 13" Vette rotor on a drum brake hub to the forged spindles common to both cars.

You can use a drum brake spindle by machining off some of the top bolt boss or the disc brake spindle by using a shim in this location.

Anybody interested.

Paul_ McConnell (aka pdq67)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 9:31 PM
BC
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to BC
I'd be interested...now if you could just throw in the dust shields...

Seriously tho, I have wanted to try this conversion, but anyone that sells these caliper mounting brackets wants at least $200 for them. Ridiculous!! I assume if you have disk brakes and just want to upgrade, you can use the same dust shields??

What are you making them out of? Do you have pictures?

Also, you talked about machining down the drum spindles to work but then about shimming the disk brake spindles...I'm confused. I have read several places that you can machine the drum spindles, but to take off about 3/8" to make them the same as disk brake spindles...please clarify.

Thanks,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 01, 10:15 PM
Paul_ McConnell

BC,

I made the brackets by hand fitting cardboard until I got what I wanted. I sized the mount bolt spread to give me 3/16" clearance between the caliper guide bolts and the rotor O.D.

Next, I've been chewing the suckers outa 5/16" thick flat steel plate by hand along with the steel-man that sold me the plate nibbling out the outer shape. The plate is 25 percent thicker than stock, so strengths should be adequate.

The drum brake spindle will work by machining it down the needed amount to put the top bolt boss in the same plane (or level)with the bottom boss.

Also, the disc brake spindle will work if you add a shim of the correct thickness to again put the top boss on the same plane or level with the bottom boss.

The dust shields won't fit because, (1), the brackets are different and (2), the rotor is now 13" instead of 11" in diameter. pdq67

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 01, 5:03 PM
BC
Tech Team

Paul,
thanks for the info, still sounds interesting, are you selling these brackets? What are you doing about the dust shields if the stock ones don't work?

Do you use any particular year(s) for the calipers and hoses and pads and such? Can you use the stock truck pads for the calipers?

Also, do you what I can expect to pay for these parts?

Thanks,
Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 9:12 AM
pdq67

BC,

No, I'm not selling the brackets, but rather am offering a cardboard template to anybody that is interested in the concept.

I got into this years ago before I knew anything about disc brakes when I looked at putting the 11" diameter Z-16 1965 Chevelle front drum brakes on my car.
I then found an article in one of the mag's about the Seville Cad. rear disc conversion so it got me to looking at disc's.

If I would have known about it, I probably would have went the JL-8 route, but ignorance can be bless.

I bought a front conversion from a Pick-A-Part boneyard from a 1974 Apollo and started comparing rotor sizes and stuff because I wanted bigger disc's then the 11" stock ones. This lead me to the 13" Vette rotors and using my drum brake hub along with a homemade caliper bracket to mount the wide 1972 truck big single piston caliper.

I think that there are probably alot of guys that want to upgrade their brakes but just can't afford to anti-up the bucks for the high-priced conversion kits. I know I can't.

Thats why I made my template. pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 3:14 PM
BC
Tech Team

pdq67,

So is this template something you could send me or are you looking to sell it to some manufacturing place so they can make them and you just get lots of money?

Also, on the truck caliper...was that used with the bigger 13" rotors or the standard 11"? I always thought the trucks used 11" rotors also, so does this cause a problem when using the bigger rotors? Is it possible to use any of the other parts off the truck like the dust shields or brake lines?

Also, I have heard that when converting from drum to disks there is a problem with using the brake line 'bracket' that is welded to the frame where the hard and soft lines meet. Have you heard or know of any problem there?
Thanks again for the info.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 01, 9:21 PM
pdq67

BC,

Will be glad to send you a "rough" cardboard copy of my template along with some stuff telling my plan. In fact am mailing one to Canada tomorrow.

E-mail me your name and address at my home and will get all out to you asap (FOR FREE).

BC, I have TWO motives here in this little bracket that I'm playing with.

One is to upgrade my sorry a--ed stock drums with brakes like I really can't afford due to their kit price.

And, two to help anybody else out that wants to try it too.

Yes, I started out to make some money with the bracket, but I really don't care about that at all anymore. BUT, I'm really enjoying helping others.

Get hold of David Pozzi over at Team Camaro and discus with him the bracket if you want to. David, Wayne Due and Teetoe have copies of my template and we've really been hashing stuff out on the big long post called "Gauging intrest in custom frame for Kyle Tucker suspension!!!" about subframes in the Brakes and Suspension spot.

I can't leave the post alone because what I would really like to do is use a tall cast-iron 12" rotor big car spindle on our first gen. Camaros by converting them to front steer like the second gen. Camaro's and your Chevelles.

But thats a whole 'nother game. pdq67

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 8:06 AM
BC
Tech Team

pdq67,

I will send you an email with my address, thanks again for the information.

Also, thanks for trying to help out others...as you can tell, I am no expert at this stuff, but enjoy learning whatever I can, even if it takes some trial and error work. I too enjoy helping othes, but many times find the topics WAY out of my range of knowledge...such as this one. Yes, I have been reading the posts at Camaros, I find tons of info over there also.

FYI, my motives in the whole process are to 1) try and upgrade the poorly performing disk brakes I have on my Chevelle, and 2) upgrade my stock drum brakes on my 70 Nova. I was thinking that maybe if this Cheap Big Brakes thing works out on the Chevelle, I could then just reuse the disks off the Chevelle on the Nova. My Nova is my daily driver, so I don't really need the upgrade to the bigger disks, the stock disks should work fine. The Chevelle is another story... I put a rather mildly built 468 BBC in it last summer and boy is it fun now!! It just doesn't stop as well as I hoped. I'm pretty sure I need a new booster, but would like to try the bigger brakes to see some improvement.

Anyway, I would appreciate any useful info or insight you might have, and thanks again for the help.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 01, 11:00 AM
pdq67

BC,

Will get it in the mail to you.

I've got a 496 bb on the engine stand in front of my '67SS/RS in my garage. Should work well with my M-20 and 3.31 twelve bolt posi. Dyno2000 says it should put out in the neighborhood of 550hp at 5500rpm and 580t at 4500rp, just a big tow truck type engine, so should be fun. pdq67

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 10:18 AM
BC
Tech Team

pdq,
Hopefully you got the email I sent you, and thanks again for sending that stuff out, I'll be waiting by the mailbox!

Sounds like a pretty fun time that new motor...though you are a lot braver than I am putting that kind of horsepower into a first gen Camaro! I rode with a local guy a round here several years ago that had a pretty beefy 427 in his 69 Camaro and that was just too damn scary! Just about every time he would hit the gas, it would spin the tires. I figured I was safer putting the big-block in my full-framed, heavier Chevelle. It still has the origional 10 bolt posi with 2:73 gears so it doesn't get too squirrely on me, but still pretty fast. I'm also not making near that much power, I would have to guess about 375 to 425 horsepower.

Please keep me posted if you have any success in your quest for the 12" rotor spindles from a big cars w/front steering on a first gen camaro. I could use that for my Nova.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 01, 11:15 AM
pdq67

BC,
If you do a search on me, you will find where I've posted some "wild and crazy" stuff about my car and my buddy in his 1958 375hp/327 powered, (cammed) Vette.

I ain't prouda it, but looking back on it, I'm lucky ta be alive, what with the way I used to drive.

Another buddy had a tri-power 1958, 348 two door post, Biscayne that four of us left a little town one night with Barney Fief on our tail. At about 90 in second, we blew the right rear tire. Jerry, driving just cussed and pulled it down inta high and wound the old '48 out to about 120. We had to wait 30 minutes to take what was left of the tire off and replace wirh a spare. pdq67

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 5:26 AM
Tech Team

Hello Paul,i am interested in this concept,could you send me the info?I will of course pay for the mailing cost,since i live outside the US.
Thanks,

------------------
Halldor Ragnarsson Reykjavik
Malibu ´71
There are no problems,only solutions
Member#729
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 01, 7:57 PM
pdq67

halldor,

E-mail me your full name and address at my home and I will be glad ta send a cardboard template and some stuff telling about my plan. No charge.

Thx for the interest. pdq67

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 01, 9:02 AM
Tech Team
Jim

Hi Paul,

I read your information a couple days ago, and have been thinking about it ever since. I'm impressed with this idea. I've already done a drum to 12" disc brake conversion on my 68 Chevelle convertible, and your idea has me thinking of ungrading the 11" (stock) disc brake conversion I did to my 68 Chevelle hardtop years ago. I'll email you my address and I'll reimburse you for postage.

Thanks
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 6:39 PM
Tech Team

Paul, What is the smallest diameter wheel that will work with the 13" setup? Thanks, Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6872 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.