13" Vette Rotors On Your Cars?? - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 01, 7:19 PM
pdq67

JERRY66SS,

Stockton Wheel has said they can make a cheap steel 16" roundy-round wheel that will clear everything. Otherwise, you will need 17" ones for the front

The caliper sets in such a way that the wheel needs to have almost a straight rear face 15.5" in diameter to the wheels rim. And then it needs at least 1/4" where the caliper sticks out past the wheel mount face of the rotor.

I have again, a crude cardboard template to check wheel clearance with because I'm fast approaching buying some wheels for the front to finish everything.

I'm holding off because it seems like a new wheel comes out about monthly so hopefully there will be more 16" to consider. I really don't want to run 17's if I can find a good looking set of relatively inexpensive 16" wheels to run. The TT-II style with the steel rim look promising in a 16" size and should be priced fairly reasonable.

I priced a set of full one-off custom billet wheels from Colorado Custom about 2 weeks ago that were an exact 17" scale-up of the Fenton 14" slotted mags that I have been running. Colo.Cust. wanted $4,100.00 plus needed my wheels as patterns. Needless to say I thanked them and said they were way outa my league, BUT they woulda been cool!!! pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 6:10 PM
Tech Team

Hi Paul. Thanks for the reply. It sounds like 13" brakes are out of the picture [for now]. I am low on funds for new wheels. I was wondering about Dave Pozzi's 11 3/4 inch cheap big brakes. Have you tried this? I would like to know if the center of the big rotor is the same as the 11". In other words would the big rotors register 1/8" further in and out due to being a 1/4" thicker or should I bop over to the Camaro sight and ask Dave? Thanks again, Jerry
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 01, 8:27 PM
pdq67

Jerry66SS,

Please bop on over to Team Camaro and pick up info on David's CBB stuff.

I can't tell you how the JL-8 rotor fits with respect to the single piston caliper bracket. I think all you have to do is add metal to move out, then drill needed holes, but don't know for sure.

I do know that the 11.75" rear 1989 Camaro rotor is very close to the big 13" Vette rotor I'm using on the front with my setup so should be very close. Plus, they are the same size at the hub O.D. and center hole.

One thing you can do if you want to check rotors is get friendly with your local parts store and ask if you can look at several (WITH the stipulation you WILL buy a pair that fit your application). Thats what I did and bought both sets from them, (although not at the same time).

I started looking at the 1969 stock 11" rotor/hub type and compared them to the 1971 11" rotor hub type to see if I could mount the 12" rotor/hub type from the 1LE and the 1979 Impala. They won't because the bearings don't ride the same.

Then I looked at the 1980 Seville rear 10.5" rotor to find a bigger one, and thats how I found out the 13" Vette rotor fits.

I next fit the 1988 front Vette rotor to my drum brake hub and then went and used the 11.75" rear Camaro rotor in place of the 10.5" Seville rear one. "WHEW"

Then modified the Seville bracket for the rear and created my flat steel bracket for the front.

And thats, as Paul Harvey would say, the end of the story. Hope this helps. pdq67

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 01, 8:16 AM

Hi Paul

Very interesting discussion we have here. As you mentioned new wheels are coming out every month. Cragar is starting to produce the old style SS Cragar well known at the time, into 16" and 17" sizes. I will be upgrading to 17" as soon as they are available (early March).

I feel very interested into your work, because even with the first grade pads it's just not there, plus the new 17", better compounds, I need an upgrade there to.

I also intended to convert my rear to disk. I bought for very little money a complete Z-28 1995 rear end after many measurements, everything seams to bolt in place over the 4 bolt flange of my 12 bolts rear end.

I would appreciate if you can send me a copy of your work. I will e-mail you the info.

Thanks again
rick

------------------
1969 SS convertable
fuel injected and 4 speed & lock up 4L60 tranny converted
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 6:41 PM
Tech Team

pdq67. Is your bracket totally flat with no offsets? In the junkyard I was looking at 70 impala rotors. They are 11 3/4" by 1 1/4" and are one piece and the spindle looks the same in the bearing area as the Chevelle/ Camaro. I got the caliper brackets from the 70 Impala and the caliper mounting area is the same as the Chevelle, also the brackets are made symetrically and can be switched side to side. I am thinking of revising these to fit. I don't want to cut up the set of Chevelle brackets I have, especially after seeing Master Power Brakes smacking people $100 apiece for theirs. First thing I need to do is get the 70 Impala rotors and see if that works then go from there. Have you tried my idea? Thanks, Jerry
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 7:52 PM
pdq67

JERRY66SS,

My homemade bracket is flat and can be used on either side.

I don't know about the '70 Imp. 11.75"x1.25" one piece rotor. Is the Imp. caliper bracket made like the 11" chevelle/camaro/nova bracket, except that it has the holes moved out 3/8" so that it fits an 11.75" dia. rotor or is it different??

You said the Imp. brackets were symetrical. How so?? Because the stock A/F/X brackets are right and left I think because of the fold-over tabs that help line the calipers. I don't think these are needed, so aren't on my homemade brackets.

Also are the '70 Imp. spindles forged (with bolt on steering arms) and the same as ours or are they bigger and taller??

I was under the impression that the Imp. needed ta run bigger wheel bearings and seals because of its increased weight over the A/F/X cars.

Can you put the Imp rotor on your car to check its fit??? Man, I hope so!!!

We need ta look closely at this because if the '70 Imp. one piece 11.75" rotor will fit a A/F/X spindle, then all we would have ta do is fit a single piston caliper bracket.

David likes the 11.75"(12") x 1.25" thick rotors because (1), they can fit inside a 15" rim if the rim is made right and (2), they have more mass and therefore can take harder braking before becoming thermally overloaded, (so to say).

I'm not all that concerned with mass because I'm not gonna competition my car to the limit like David might. And the 13" rotor will require a little less squeeze due ta its larger diameter over the other two smaller rotors but it will be harder ta fit wheels to.

I can't resist it!! here it comes !!! As Rosanna-Rosanna Danna used ta say "it's always something"!!! At least I'm not from Jersey!!! LOL, LOL!!!

I hope you're old enough ta know who she was. pdq67

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 01, 9:33 PM
Tech Team

Paul, I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow. I will get one of those rotors and give it the acid test. Hope they are still there and this works!! I will post tomorrow. You ask if I remember Rosanne Rosanna Danna? I do, and also remember an 18 year old boy whose first new car was a 66 Chevelle SS396. Later, Jerry
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 4:01 PM
BC
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to BC
hey, you guys are at it again and stole my idea!!! Great, let's hope it works. I had that idea of using the 12" one-piece rotor the other day while looking at a kit from one of the big brake parts guys that was for a 73-84 malibu. I understand the spindle is different, but I thought why would they change the bearing surfaces? you go Jerry, I have not been able to locate one of the 12" rotors yet, so if you get one, please let us know!! Also, if you get the caliper and brackets, I would really like to know what parts can be used from that also. I would be too sweet if we could just swap calipers/brackets/rotors over and be done and get 12" brakes!!

PS I'm still looking for some steel to make the brackets out of Paul, but haven't forgotten...

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 01, 7:39 PM
Tech Team

pdq67. The Impala bracket looks like a wide horseshoe and if you hold it like a horseshoe it looks the same both left and right, kinda like a mirror image. Both bracket holes are the same size and on the same plane. I hope I explained that o.k., if not let me know. The 70 Impala spindles are forged, have bolt on steering arms,and are both taller and bigger. I don't see anything compatible with ours. To BC. I found the Impala bearings are larger than ours, but the spindle length is the same in the bearing area. . I am going to see if I can find bearings to fit both the Impala rotor and our spindles. Need to check the grease seal too. As far as brackets go you will have to make something like pdq's flat bracket or extend the stock disc bracket. Jerry
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 1:56 PM
BC
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to BC
Jerry and Paul,
One thing I did realize today when checking on the Impala rotors is that these are 5x5 bolt pattern. This could pose a little problem if you didn't want to buy new rims... Anyone have a suggestion as to how to make a 4x4-3/4" rims fit on a 5x5 bolt pattern hub? I don't think it would be possible to modify the hub?? Any thoughts on using the bigger spindle on a Chevelle or Camaro?

One more little tid-bit a saw while looking at the parts catalog...the 'Vette rotors from 88 to 95 show a bolt pattern of 4-3/16". So does this mean they changed the actual bolt pattern ont he cars, or is that what the pattern is for where the rotor bolts to the hub?

Let us know how you are doing Jerry in your research.

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS (now with 468BBC)
'70 Nova 350/700r4
ACES #2780
Colo Spgs, CO
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 01, 9:31 PM
pdq67

BC,

It's a typo error because I'm putting the 1988 13" Vette rotors on my '67's drum hub for my conversion on my Camaro. pdq67

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 4:52 PM
Tech Team

BC. I am reasonably sure they measured 4 3/4". I will check again next trip to junkyard to be sure. Jerry
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 01, 5:43 PM
pdq67

The Imp's should be 5 on 5 and the second gen 1LE is 5 on 4.75. They are the same rotor/hub, too. Or so I read. pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6850 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.