Spindle material? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 8:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

So, what are spindles made of?
Specifically, the "Tall" spindles....

I am guessing that they are forged steel, but as I said I am guessing. Anybody KNOW?

K

"You laugh because I am different. I laugh because you are all the same."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 10:35 PM
MAX

Chevello, I'm not sure what they are made of, but have put in a call to a long time machinist friend of mine to see what he says. They are probably just 1040 mild steel. They aren't going to be made out of some funky alloy like some cranks or connecting rods. What ever the material is, it's soft, hit one with a file and it'll cut like butter. I'l let you know what I find out from the friend.
HMMMMM....... Whatchu gona make.I like makin' stuff????? Mama says, I make stuff gooood. I wanna help , I promise not git in the way. Please?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 03, 11:24 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'm guessing its G3000 or G2000 grey cast iron. Same thing cylinder blocks are generally made out of.

Easy to cast with especially with GM's "lost foam" casting technique that they've used for years on cylinder heads.

Joe

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 03, 9:32 AM
R.J.

They look cast with the 'gate' for the material in the mold on the front side in the big arch from the steering am up to the top of the spindle. If you look at this photo you can see the bump where the gate is Spindle. If they were forged they would have a wider less noticeable parting line. And the actual spindle stub is a seperate part and is pressed into the casting.

And I'm with MAX, what are we making?

R.J.
1972 Chevelle
The Ice Blog:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 03, 11:35 AM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina
i dont know what they are made of but i think the spindle axle is forged and pressed into the cast spindle body.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 03, 9:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

Some are 2-piece, bit some are one piece too. I have a couple of the tall spindles, one you can see where the snout is pressed in and on the other, it just looks carved out of the forging (casting?).

The older Chevelle Spindles look like one piece too. I'll have to look closer.

Just trying to figure out if the material is weldable. I have done it to racecar spindles, but they get replaced a lot more often than street car ones.

Max, if you promise not to get in the way, you kin he'p

K
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 03, 12:19 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Chevello:

Just trying to figure out if the material is weldable. I have done it to racecar spindles, but they get replaced a lot more often than street car ones.
Here is the kicker. I've cut into the tall spindles and can tell that they are cast as the sawzall cuts through them like butter. Also, from what RJ said, you can also obviously tell that they are cast by the wide parting line in the casting.

You can weld on a cast metal, but don't expect it to hold or have any amount of significant regidity.

Good luck with your project!!

BTW, I thought we were going to cast a new tall spindle that would relocate the steering arm.

That's something I would like to try.

Joe
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 03, 1:34 AM
Tech Team
Karl

The tall spidles are cast. Stock spindles are forged.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 03, 9:42 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by 72SSAbody:
BTW, I thought we were going to cast a new tall spindle that would relocate the steering arm.

That's something I would like to try.

Joe
I'm going to Harbor Freight Tools tomorrow. What tools will I need to cast new spindles? [img]graemlins/clonk.gif[/img]

Chad Landry

Real treasures give you hugs.

The rest is just stuff.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 03, 5:16 PM
wagons rule!
Pete

Location: In the Beautiful mountains of western North Carolina
maybe use a mechanical way to connect the parts in addition to welding. use tung and grove or clamps, brackets, pins, bolts anything so that there is nothing relighing on a weld alone. guys here including me can help check any stress analasys.

btw FO_FDYFO is ebonics for four fifty four.

Web Master,
wagon parts and info only at
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 03, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
KeithD

Quote:
Originally posted by Q-ship:
The tall spidles are cast. Stock spindles are forged.
Uh, You mean the original spindles are forged and the later model ones are cast?

I think I found a better way anyhow <evil grin> wait til you guys see
Just gotta figure out how to get past the useless bro inlaw's stuff to get the car in the air.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6130 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.