'68 SS steering wheel woes - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 04, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am trying to replace the steering wheel on my '68 SS. It is the original, black 3 spoke with the SS in the middle. I got the shroud off with the three screws at the ends of the spokes on the underside of the wheel. Now there is a problem. I got the big nut off the shaft and the washer, but there are no threaded holes to put the puller bolts in! There are two holes that look like they are the right size, across from each other, then the hole where the spring for the horn wires goes. I tried VERY carefully to thread the bolts into the holes, but they do not go in straight, and I end up twisting the bolt heads off eventually. Basically, I am asking if there are any alternative ways of getting the wheel off? It is being replaced, and not really in good shape, so if I have to wreck it to get it off that's ok, but I really would like to avoid that and keep the wheel 'useable'. I have not seen a wheel that you had to make your own threads in?!?

The car doesn't have an engine . . . the engine has a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 04, 11:56 PM
Tech Team

Read your post and went out to the shop to look at my 68SS. I have the same wheel and have the shroud off but haven't pulled the wheel off yet. I have two holes for a puller and they are threaded. Are you using the right thread size on the bolts. They are fine threaded, I don't know the size right now but can find out for you. I would run a tap of the right size carefully into the holes and try again. What part of Nebraska are you from? I'm from out west close to Scottsbluff. Good Luck!!
Cheers
Steve
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 04, 2:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I swear that the holes weren't threaded - now I am faced with a busted off bolt with no head sticking out of one of the holes. I had the bolts fairly tight and straight, and the puller didn't budge it one inch. Like it was bolted down somehow? I mean it didn't even move at all - it ended up snapping one of the puller bolts off. The original wheel has lots of cracks and is in not so good shape, so pretty much I just want to get it off by any means necessary short of damaging the column or threads. Anyone know a good way to pull the wheel when conventional methods have failed? Oh, BTW, I'm located near Norfolk, in the Northeastern part of the state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 5633 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.