Proportioning valve for '67 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

I am converting my '67 to disks, I have most everything except the valve. What valve do I need? I got single piston calipers if that makes a difference. My concern is that I'll end up with a problem figuring out what hard lines to get with my parts combination, I have no idea what to look for here. I want factory parts, I don't want to use an adjustible valve because there again I would have to do some custom work with the lines.
Thanks for the help.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 6:03 PM
Tech Team

Steve,

On my 66 I used a combination valve. It does both metering & proportioning. It came with a bracket that mounts it below the master cylinder for a nice clean look. The problem is finding brake lines to fit. I made mine after ordering pre-bent lines ($50.00) that didn't fit & looked like crap.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 6:11 PM
Tech Team

Dang double post.

[This message has been edited by SibbsSS (edited 02-24-2001).]

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 8:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Where did you get this valve?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 8:22 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

I use the 71-2 proportioning valve, easily found on 71-2 A bodies, skylark, chevelle, monte carlo, cutlass, and lemans. This is a one piece unit that needs no supporting hardware. You will have to make your own brake lines, but its not hard at all as long as you have the double flaring tool.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

[This message has been edited by drptop70ss (edited 02-24-2001).]
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 8:48 PM
Tech Team

You can get the valve from several places. Most come with a bracket that mounts the valve off to the side of the master cylinder. I got mine from Master Power Brakes. It comes with the bracket & two lines with fittings that connect the valve to the master cylinder. You will need to find or make the other lines. Making lines is not too difficult & you can route them the way you like. However, my engine is out of the car so making the passenger side line wasn't too bad. Trying to make one with the engine still in would be a PITA.

Mike Sibbitt
66 396 SS

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 8:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Where did the factroy valve for a '67 with disks mount? On the frame or on a bracket? I changed my mind and think I might go with that bracket mounted valve if I can't come across anything else. When you guys make your own lines, do you use original type steel or stainless tubing? I am looking at the tools to make the lines in Eastwood but they only sell original type steel line and their tools aren't recommended for stainless lines. Just curious.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Hoarder Deluxe

I make the lines out of steel, forget trying to double flare stainless.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 11:33 AM

All 67s had a distribution block mounted on a bracket inboard of the front upper control arm toward the rear of the control arm. This distributed brake fluid to the right and left front brakes. There is a divided section in the block that routes fluid to the rear brakes. Chevelles did not have a real proportioning valve in 67 to 70. They had a delay valve (golfball size) mounted next to the master cylinder just in front of the power booster. This was plumbed into the front brake line. From 71 on, they used a combination distribution/proportioning unit that was mounted on the inboard side of the frame below the firewall. As for your situation, if you do not absolutely need to be stock appearing, I would go with the proportioning valve that mounts via a bracket to the left side of the master cylinder, with the short lines running from the master cylinder to the valve. From there I would run the lines down to the stock distribution block by the control arm. you use stock brake lines from the distribution block out.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/bobm_SC1
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 01, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Thanks Bob, that was exactly the info I was looking for.
Steve
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 1:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Snydes,
Just did my 67. Used a prop valve on bracket by the MC. This makes the stock distribution block unecessary. I also replaced the front to rear line. Got it all (valve bracket and all lines[2 front,2 MC to valve, and 2 piece rear ) from The Right Stuff in Columbus. They were very good to deal with and amazingly fast shipment and the lines fit with little tweaking. There are lots of suppliers, but save yourself some shipping charges and map out the whole job before you order.
John
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 6:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Steve

John, does The Right Stuff have a web site? If not, could you get me there number? Thanks,
Steve
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 01, 3:15 PM

The phone # for The Right Stuff is (800) 405-2000. They also have a tech line which is (614) 895-9096. The reason I like to take the lines from the proportioning valve down to the stock distribution block is it makes it look a little more like stock and if you have to pull the motor out you can take the lines off and not have them dangling around getting damaged.

------------------
Bob Murray 66 Malibu
Greenfield, Indiana (Indianapolis)
https://www.chevelles.com/showroom/bobm_SC1
TC Gold #49
Aces #01941
NCOA #20838
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6831 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.