Proportioning valve and adjustable valve - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 01, 2:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am in the process of reassembling my 65 El Camino and am redoing the braking system.

Before I started the restoration and was driving the vehicle, I had converted to a 72 power disc brake setup with dual reservoir and porportioning valve. I also had plumbed in a Wilwood adjustable valve on the rear brake line to better balance the brake system. This arrangement worked great and I had a balanced system.

I my decision now is to remove the 72 proportioning valve and use only the Wilwood adjustable valve and a residual 10lb pressure valve on the rear line from the output of the MC rear resevoir. The front line will come out of the MC front resevoir to a distribution block to split off to the two front discs. I was told this would be okay by the Wilwood mfg. Susposedly this is the setup used on track cars for balancing the brakes.

I would like some confirmation from you guys that I can balance the system with this setup. Also I would like to confirm that the front most resvoir is for the front brake lines and the rear (closet to the firewall) is for the rear lines.

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
My Garage
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Restored Garage Queen)
1965 El Camino (Current project)
1974 Midget (Next project, maybe)
1981 Corvette (Daily driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 01, 12:36 PM
Tech Team

I have this on my 68 Chevelle hardtop and it works fine.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 01, 6:20 AM

im sorry i cant help you,but i am wanting to do the same brake conversion ,what is involved? and will my rally rims still fit on the front? thanks for any information you can give me.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 2:09 AM

Okay here is the straight scoop. It will work great Wilwood knows there ****...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 1:36 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Brian,
Outta curiousity, why do you want to remove the proportioning valve?
Phocks
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 1:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Cleaner installation, less connections, and easier access to the adjustable valve without the proportioning valve in the way. Also I do not use the brake light indicator signal output.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 1:43 PM
Tech Team

The factory was taking into account the OE tires and organic front pads with their set calibration of the proportioning valve to limit presure to the rear brakes to prevent premature lockup. With an adjustable you can set the max pressure before lockup to take advantage of best possible braking and customize it to exactly what you have (or have changed) over stock.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 01, 6:46 PM
Tech Team

I use only the adjustable valve as my car had drums, works great I have set it so there is no rear lock up.
gregt if your ralleys are the ones used for drum brakes they will not clear the calipers on a disc setup...FRED

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 6834 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.