PST Front End Kit install, dialup warning - Page 8 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #106 of 120 (permalink) Old May 19th, 13, 10:35 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

Garage
Re: PST Front End Kit install, dialup warning

After a 7hr alignment, it's finally road ready.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1060b.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	84545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059b.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	84553  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 120 (permalink) Old May 20th, 13, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

>>> 7 hour alignment

OMG, guy ever align a real car before? Tell him the MacPherson struts are in the trunk.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #108 of 120 (permalink) Old May 20th, 13, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Glad to see you're up and running. Car looks good and the springs will settle some, they always do.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

post #109 of 120 (permalink) Old May 20th, 13, 10:23 PM
Tech Team
Brandon

Garage

Ha ha ha thanks man. I was calling around asking other places how long they take. Glad they only charged me the standard $60. Hope it doesn't sit down too far. Thanks for all your guys help!
post #110 of 120 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 13, 7:33 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

you oughta stop by there with a case of beer or something for that guy. They usually don't get any hourly wage, just a part of the labor for the job. He probably has a bad week from only making $30 working on your car.

post #111 of 120 (permalink) Old May 24th, 13, 10:28 AM
Tech Team
Brandon

Garage

Yeah, I was kinda thinking the same thing..
post #112 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 13, 12:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Hy guys, got the replacement springs put in my 66 yesterday (PITA). The top pigtail seems to sit where it needs but the bottom sits back from its normal position in the LCA. Basically behind the first hole. Think this will be okay in the grand scheme of things? I'd REALLY rather not mess with those things again....

Simon
post #113 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 13, 3:30 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

isn't the top sort of flatwound? align the bottom, it will really affect your ride height if it's off.

post #114 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 13, 3:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Tom, the tops are as round as the rest of the coil. I know what you're referring to, but these are not flat, nor were the originals.

Simon
post #115 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 13, 3:52 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

there's a difference between flat wound and flat ground. My 70 front springs are flat wound so the top coil isn't as tall as the other and they're flat ground like a valve spring.

couple days ago I was looking at AzCamino's 66 front springs, they were flat wound and pigtailed at the top but no grinding. The spring wire was still round.

post #116 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 13, 4:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Ah, I see now. Then, yes, flatwound. lol. Thanks Tom.

Simon
post #117 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 13, 11:05 AM
Tech Team
Dennis

Just thought I would chime in here on PST. I just attempted to order some things from their website. They were advertising some specials, 15% off front end kit, $20.00 off tie rod sleeves with purchase of front end kit yadda yadda yadda. When put all this plus a rear end kit, and springs in my cart, the discount didn't show up, even on the credit card page. So I attempted to use the online chat to ask some questions. It doesn't work. No surprise there. So I call up. The "sales" rep did his best to make sure that I knew he was annoyed by inquiries. He then proceeded to tell me that they just "take if off" after you submit the order. Now I don't know about you guys, but before I pay for something, I like to know what it's going to cost me. Tax, shipping the whole thing. Well Needless to say, I will get my parts elsewhere.

Just wanted to let you guys know my experience, hope this helps someone else out.

EDIT: Just and FYI, you can see a partial discount on the CC page, but not your total discount. There is still some blind faith involved. That doesn't change the service aspect, or lack there of in this case.
post #118 of 120 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 15, 9:23 PM
Jeff

Hi -- I started a project to replace the drum brakes with discs on my 1970 Chevelle...and it ballooned into a complete front end rebuild. I came across this post and decided to give the PST kit a try for myself. I decided on the Original and not the Polygraphite.

I am currently at the point of installing the idler arm, cross link, and tie rods. I have everything hooked up but have run into what appears to be some fitment issues.

First, the grease zerks for the inner tie rod ends are pointing directly into the lower control arms so there is no way to connect a grease gun to grease the joints. I swapped out the straight for 90 degree zerks. But this then brought me to a bigger issue.

The second 'bigger' issue is that the inner tie rod ends are VERY close to the lower control arms. So much so that when I put in the 90 degree zerks, I can't turn my steering more than about 1/8th of a turn before the zerks hit the control arms. And I notice that the center link also appears to be almost sitting on the front cross member.

The two things that are different from this write up and my project is that I installed 2" drop spindles and replaced the stock steering box with a CCP 500 Series.

In one of the photos posted here, you did comment on how tight things were. Did you experience any fitment challenges? What was your experience with the grease zerks?

This is the frontal view:

Name:	20150420_182622.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	259498

This is sighting down the tie rod on the right side:

Name:	20150420_184226.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	259506

This is a closer view of the tie rod end, following down the tie rod from the previous picture:

Name:	20150420_184249.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	259514

The wheels are currently centered. Notice how close the zerk is to the cross member and project it's path. Also notice that the tie rod end itself is directly in line with the cross member. It almost feels like the center link is not installed correctly.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks -- Jeff

Here are the parts I'm using for my project:

• PST Super Original Front End Kit (FEKSSOLD691)
  • PST Pitman Arm (PIT19506)
  • PST Center Link (TRE749)
  • Front Coil Springs (MOG-5390)
  • Summit Racing Drop Spindles (SUM-BKA24800DS)
  • CPP 500 Series Steering Box (CP50004)

Last edited by jgbrown; Apr 20th, 15 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Adding Images
post #119 of 120 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 15, 4:51 PM
Jeff

Update: I reverted back to the small, straight grease zerks and everything clears. It is definitely a TIGHT fit.

Thanks -- Jeff
post #120 of 120 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 15, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

yes it is. I have mine poking straight out the back. I have to turn it lock to lock or close to it, bring the grease gun hose in over the top of the lower control arm.Some inner rod ends are sold with the zerk pointing straight out to the inside. Automatically pokes holes in the oil pan at full lock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1539 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.