PST Front End Kit install, dialup warning - Page 5 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 9:24 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: PST Front End Kit install, dialup warning

Tim,

google around awhile on DIY front end alignment. there's a million articles and pics out there. I did my own.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 9:29 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Crud, my article on DIY alignment is MIA. wonder what happened to it?

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #63 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 10, 9:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tim Smith

yeah I saw you had done your own align, then no more mention of it. Oh I've been tearing google up on frt end align. That's what gave me the idea to ebay a setup was one of the writeups that came up in a google search. If I'm gonna do it, I'll own the crap to do it right as this 1 car won't be the last. I also have the drag car and a 55 too.

Tim Smith

post #64 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 10, 8:35 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I found all the pics on my photobucket acct. I need to re-write the posts.

Truth be told, caster/camber gauges and tram bars are available so cheap it hardly makes sense to use the old DIY methods.

post #65 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 10, 8:44 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

see this sample on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVE...Q5fCarQ5fParts

looks pretty typical of the bunch. about $100.

here's the toe-in bar or tram gauge, didn't find it on the first pass

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Longa...Q5fCarQ5fParts

post #66 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 10, 12:12 PM
Gold Founding Member
Darren

Re: PST suspension kit install, dialup warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
finish up tomorrow, 2am, have to be up at 6. ugh again.
I was gonna ask how long, Tom. We just thrashed on Gene (Showalter)'s '69 SS this past Sunday, did new ball joints and bushings, with cleanup, blasting, and painting, in about 15 hours. Had to fight a couple of rusted lower A-arm bolts, and the lower shock bolts had nuts on top, not the correct clip nuts. Hard to find those on a Sunday night, so we lost an hour to that fiasco. We did check the alignment with the Fastrax gauge, and set the toe-in, too. All that, and Gene made it home before midnight.

Darren
64 El Camino 468, 9", ST-10, 4wdb,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Firebird 461" stroker, th400, 3.36's, 4wdb,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Sold

TC #78 Gold, ACES #3130
post #67 of 120 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Darren,

I did mine in 2 steps, had another set of control arms, blasted and painted, installed all the stuff, had it all done. Then on another day jacked the car up and did the big switcheroo. A lot of work is what it was.

post #68 of 120 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 10, 3:10 AM
Gold Founding Member

Excellent work, Tom.

I didn't see this when it was "new"; I'm glad I saw it tonight.

I'm most impressed that you showed the spacers for protecting the control arms during the bushing press operations. Most guys don't bother, and then the control arm is permanently distorted. I use polyurethane bushings, and I don't remove the steel outer shells--I just polish them and slide the new poly bushing and inner sleeve into the original shell--so no press needed.

One suggestion: I put my picklefork/air hammer away after borrowing this tool set from NAPA--p/n SER 41690. It was part of their "Loaner Tool" program. I liked it so much I bought the thing instead of returning it. It will separate tapers--ball joint, tie rod end, idler arm, etc--without damage to the rubber boots or steel/iron parts. A similar set is available from other parts stores as part of a "loaner" program. Try it, you'll like it... (It's available from many sources with other part numbers--for example,

)

post #69 of 120 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 11, 12:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Milan

Send a message via MSN to 70cst10 Send a message via Yahoo to 70cst10

Goodbye clunk! Thanks for the step-by-step. I just finished rebuilding the front end on my 64. The pictures here helped a lot.

64 Chevelle SS 283/m20
06 Harley Fatboy (95", andrews 37n cams and a lot of headwork)
post #70 of 120 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 11, 3:16 PM
Tech Team
tom

nice article I've had my 71 Chevelle frontend apart for sometime now and can't remember which end of the springs go up. One end is ground sorta flat. Thanks for the help. Flager
post #71 of 120 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 11, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

flat end up, blunt end in the -Arm.

post #72 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 4:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brandon

Hey Guys, I did this a while back with the PST kit but havent driven much. I threw on comp engineering 90/10 shocks and new Moog # 5372 front spring. I torqued everything back to spec...it seems to sit higher in the front then others cars on here with the same spring/setup....is it possible somethig is a little tight and now allowing it to squat all the way? Heres a pic of how she is sitting now...about a 4"+ gap..

post #73 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 4:49 PM
Gold Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
I torqued everything back to spec...it seems to sit higher in the front then others cars on here with the same spring/setup....is it possible somethig is a little tight and now allowing it to squat all the way?
Rubber bushings? Was the suspension at normal ride height when you torqued the center bolts?

If you used polyurethane bushings, it doesn't matter what position the suspension is in when the bolts are torqued, but rubber bushings will be destroyed in short order if they're torqued with the suspension drooping.

Did you SEARCH BEFORE POSTING a new thread?
Did you post in the CORRECT FORUM?
post #74 of 120 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 11, 4:52 PM
Senior Tech Team
Brandon

Yes, it was down on the ground when we torqued them. They are the PST Polygraphite bushings. Everything was done to spec, coil sits in the proper position etc... Others I see have much less wheel gap...and I was hoping for less as well..
post #75 of 120 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 11, 3:00 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

cut a coil off that spring.

sure the spring is seated properly up in the frame? It's easy to get it hooked on the locator tabs sticking down. It'll raise the car near 2". Hard to see up in there but but get a light and check it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1685 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.