PST Front End Kit install, dialup warning - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 09, 3:51 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: PST suspension kit install, dialup warning

Andy, Bondo won't work on that. You have to upgrade to JBWeld.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 3:27 PM
PST
Tech Team
PST

Re: PST Front End Kit install, dialup warning

Tom,

We're on the edge of our seats in suspense for the conclusion...any news?
post #18 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

testing 123

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Jun 18th, 09 at 1:22 AM.

post #19 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 09, 11:50 PM
Gold Founding Member
"Wild Bill"

Send a message via AIM to BillsCamino

I've seen that TQ wrench somewhere before...

1967 Camaro SS-Gen I
2017 Camaro RS-Gen VI
2019 Cadillac XT5 AWD
1990 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Super Heros don't wear a cape...they wear Dog Tags!!
post #20 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 1:24 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Yes you have. have I mentioned what a helluva man you are?

post #21 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 1:35 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

server must be running a backup, I can't post anything. the wrench Bill mentioned was in a post I deleted because the pics were wrong.

post #22 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 3:07 AM
Senior Tech Team
Sean

FWIW, I put the same kit in my '65 about a year ago. since then a new AGR box and pump and some new hoses. Everyhting was a perfect fit. the steering shaft does limit how many shims you can put in that side for the alignment, but didn't turn out to be much of a problem.

I had no idea this car could handle this good! definitely a nice kit, and good fit of all the parts. I hope Tom likes it as much as I do.

Sean
'65SS, 385ci, AFR 195's, Comp XR 288HR, Forged bottom end, TKO600, 3.73/12 Bolt
Now in our new home in Tucson AZ
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Aint no fun 'till somethin gets broke!"
post #23 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 09, 6:59 PM
Tech Team

Excellent F/E rebuild post.

A tip for removing the upper control arm mounting bolts: Run the nut out flush to the end of the bolt (this keeps the theads nice) While prying against the nut/bolt (it helps to have a 2nd person do this) take you air hammer & "rattle" the frame bracket (dont go hog wild here - just an easy squeezy on the air hammer trigger!) around the bolt head. The bolt will slide out without destroying the knurl.

I am intrested to know it the poly bushings squeak.

Chevelle - An American classic, not Japanese plastic...
post #24 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 1:31 AM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

mine don't, so far.

post #25 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Well, try again on finishing up the pics. Start earlier, maybe I won't get crossed up with the server backup.

post #26 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

lo, after these many moons, I'm back. Thanks go to Zack @ P-S-T.com for being patient.

Here we are going back together. A glitch arose here, on both sides. These are not the same LCAs I pulled out and I had a hard time to re-install them. Theoretically all the LCAs would be the same, but the new arms with the new bushings were too wide to fit in the mounts. I was working alone, had a good floor jack but couldn't get the arms to slide up into the brackets. After much struggling and swearing I used the Large Ford Tool to "adjust" outer ears of the brackets a little, then the LCAs mounted up with just the usual struggle. A little of the nice new paint was sacrificed to the previously mentioned Large Ford Tool. Hung the lower with the bolts just poked in the holes loosely, was able to install the previously heated spring, jacked up the LCA, installed the spindle and hub assembly, hung the upper arm.

Torquing up the ball joint stud nuts

Cotter key installed. I do them this way, I 've seen guys just stick it in and bend both halves over, I never did it like that.

Installing grease zerk, critically important for long life of ball joint. Three of the 4 old ball joints were in pretty good shape for 20 years and 180,000 miles. The right lower zerk got broken off somehow along the way, that ball joint had like .200 vertical slop, wasn't really even safe to drive. I didn't know how bad it was.

post #27 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 8:50 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

caliper reinstalled:

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Nov 10th, 09 at 8:00 PM.
post #28 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 8:55 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Cripes, completely unable to get the site to post the correct pics. It's like it's caching the URLs to the pics and mixing them up. Moving the whole schmear to photobucket, try again. Whatta PITA.

post #29 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Minor tip on steering linkage assembly: you can't install the center link if the Pittman arm and the idler arm are both installed. both studs go in from the bottom and with that tongue on the crossmember there's no way to get enough room. Leave the idler arm loose or off while mounting up the linkage. I laid my old linkage out on the ground and measured the length od the tie-rods, then screwed the news together to match. Considering the amount of stuff changed out here I'm surprised it came out as close as it did.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Nov 10th, 09 at 8:01 PM.
post #30 of 120 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 09, 9:01 PM Thread Starter
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I had to drive the car in between doing the two sides, so the steering linkage got hooked up to the old stuff on the right side. A day later, tear down the right side. Pretty much like the left.

Still the easiest way for me on the ball joint nuts, just use a box end wrench. Same drill as before, break loose a balljoint nut, back it off a few turns, use a pickle fork to break loose the tapered stud. as always, careful here. Nut still on the stud, shock still installed, jack under the control arm.

getting the shock loose. It'll be a PITA later when there's pressure from the spring or the LCA is way down.

Pickle forkin' it

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Nov 10th, 09 at 8:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 1601 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.