Spring Removal - Step By Step - With Pictures - Page 4 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 6:25 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

Re: Spring Removal - Step By Step - With Pictures

Ahh thanks.

Gonna try this tomorrow.

Jim
1965 SS
Quote:
PO was a POS
Brettd85: I feel so bad for datapusher, he just cant get a break with this car.
novaderrik: who the hell puts a car together like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Team Chevelle

Bottom line concerning using a safety chain on the spring (other than just a common sense safety procedure)...

1) I wrote this for guys doing it for the first time.

2) In the spring removal section of the Chassis Service Manual, pictures show that a safety chain around the spring is being used.
If GM engineers also recommended it, I suppose I'm in pretty good company.

Regards,
-Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Great Truths Begin As Blasphemies.
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 1:46 PM
Tech Team
Ronnie

I just changed my ball joints upper and lower. I also have a new set of springs to go in. While the control arm is still free, should I start installing the springs or should I hook the control arm back to the lower ball joint and then start with the springs? The motor is out of the car. Thanks,

Ronnie
going bb 468

post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 2:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sean

insert the spring then jack the control arm up into position to put the nut on the ball joint. thing is, if you have the motor out of the car, you will end up jacking up the car before you are able to compress the spring enough to start the castle nut on the ball joint. I did the same thing. My solution was to wrap a chain around the fram and the front axle of the floor jack. be careful and watch the angle of the chain and floor jack or it will slip (ask me how i know this). anyway, when you are set up like that, you will be jacking the frame against the tension on the chain around the floor jack instead of raising the frame. not too tough to do really. I used a 1/2" bike lock cable instead of chain to secure the spring for safety, but same deal really.

Sean
'65SS, 385ci, AFR 195's, Comp XR 288HR, Forged bottom end, TKO600, 3.73/12 Bolt
Now in our new home in Tucson AZ

"Aint no fun 'till somethin gets broke!"
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 10, 4:18 PM
Tech Team
Ronnie

I was hopeing I could do it without a spring compresser. I can get it lined up good in the frame, but there is no way I can get it in the lower control arm, without compressing the spring.

Ronnie
going bb 468
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 10, 1:53 PM
Senior Tech Team

If you don't want to worry about using a chain and scratching your paint on your frame just goto autozone and rent a spring compressor. I just did my front springs, took them out and installed new ones. The compressor works great and is safer then taking a chance that the spring won't shoot out if you don't have it chained. Its why they make the tool. Its like trying to tighten bolts without a ratchet. They make tools for certain jobs for a reason. Why take your chances not using the compressor, it doesnt' cost nothing, autozone rents tools for free.

lucky3
1968 ss(clone)
468bbc
straub Hydraulic roller,bigs 950 carb,airgap intake

ACES member #8547
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 10, 3:37 PM
Tech Team
Don

Found this just in time, prepping to replace A/C springs in '66 with non A/C springs. Car sits way to high up front, tail dragger (have to replace those too). Thanks for the great write up.
post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 7:55 PM
Tech Team
Ronnie

Does it help to have a big floor jack like the one in the pictures? I have a little 2ton floor jack from walmart. I have it straped with ratchet strap to frame, and I am still just jacking the car off the jack stands. I have the spring in the top perch just right, and nearly just right in the controll arm. Castle nut on the lower ball joint.
Can someone coach me throw this, or tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks,

Ronnie
going bb 468
post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jon

Garage

Good to have a reminder. I had a friend show me the same technique a few years ago.

1972 Chevelle SS 454 "W" code
post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 10, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoo67 View Post
Does it help to have a big floor jack like the one in the pictures? I have a little 2ton floor jack from walmart. I have it straped with ratchet strap to frame, and I am still just jacking the car off the jack stands. I have the spring in the top perch just right, and nearly just right in the controll arm. Castle nut on the lower ball joint.
Can someone coach me throw this, or tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks,
Do you have an engine in the car? Without weight enough to compress the spring it will not go together.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42

L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon

post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 1:19 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Doing the front springs right now. Greg released the upper ball joint. My preference would be to release at the lower. It appears however in order to do this, the drum will need to be removed from its perch as it does not appear the LCA will clear the back lower side of the drum. Others with similar experience on this? Didn't read anything about this on any of the front spring threads here on T/C.

67 136 car - motor in.

Thanks,
Chris
post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 4:19 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Spent the last few hours working on busting a ball joint --- no luck. I opted to try the upper ball joint after all. Anyhow, was able to drive a pickle fork (15/16") all the way in and no 'pop' or release --- Yes castle nut is loosened on spindle. Once the pickle fork was solidly in place (fully seated actually), I even tried using a very long breaker bar and using my body weight with a few quick hops -- all to no avail. Throwing in the towel for the day -- Car has me beat on this one so far. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks - Chris
post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 5:21 PM
Administrator

Garage

With the pickle fork still in place smack the casting where the ball joint stud goes through with a BFH.

63 Nova wagon

post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 10:04 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
With the pickle fork still in place smack the casting where the ball joint stud goes through with a BFH.
Good suggestion - I'll give this a go. Shall I also heat the spindle up a bit with a propane torch?
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 10, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Garage

NO.

Smacking it with a hammer will release the tapered stud.
cryobug likes this.

63 Nova wagon

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3247 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.