Spring Removal - Step By Step - With Pictures - Page 3 - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 09, 3:32 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Garage
Re: Spring Removal - Step By Step - With Pictures

I just changed my fronts last weekend. I own an internal spring compressor and used an impact to tighten the tool.... stripped out the threaded part of the tool. I went out and rented a tool - internal spring compressor - and used the ratchet to tighten it.

I compressed the spring after removing the shock. Once the spring was compressed, I then dismantled the lower ball joint and went from there using a floor jack to lower the control arm. At all times I kept myself out of the line of fire should the compressor fail.
The assembly was the reverse of the dismantle. I did not use a chain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 09, 1:39 PM
Tech Team
Steve

great thread.
It reminds me of the days of pulling springs to find that perfect ride height. Thank god for coilovers!

As for the chains, I was a young mechanic once, and was attempting to pull springs from a car without any chain, or method of holding in the springs. One shot out and hit me square in the chest, knocking me on my arse. Bruised ribs, and a bruised ego were my lesson plan, and I learned right then and there that isht happens. Now it's all about the safe way to do it.

I saw a guy grinding and welding without any protection once, while visiting Tijuana.
Think about it.

67' Beaumont - "the driving project"
06' Subaru STi - "the fast car"
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 09, 12:01 AM
Senior Tech Team
Don

I leave the ball joints connected and remove the lower control arm bolts, then let the jack down. just as easy going back with the spring too.

post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 09, 3:21 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ryan

very nice write up!!!!

ryan
my 67
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 09, 6:43 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Team Chevelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchevellea

very nice write up!!!!

Thanks.
I'm going to put up another similar thread when I reinstall new springs.

-Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All Great Truths Begin As Blasphemies.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 09, 2:15 PM
Team Member
John

Won't get into the chain debate, nor offer how I do it... but I will offer a time-saver:

In regard to removing the front shocks.... if you're not going to reuse them...
Up here in rust country, trying to remove the upper nut off the shaft will take longer than the entire spring change! Try this instead:
Get the correct sized deep-well socket (six-point preferred) and a 1 foot extension. Push it down on the nut & stud and just reef back & forth on it until the shock's shaft snaps off. It'll always snap somewhere under the nut inbetween the rubber biscuits!
Try it next time! It'll save you at least 1/2 hr. per side.

Member -

"Think you used enough dynamite there Butch??"
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 09, 4:03 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

I used the threaded rod with nuts and home-made washer for the bottom method. Worked great, although after 2 spring installs, the threaded rod was just about stripped of its thread as it was regular every day allthread with no heat treating to make it harder.

As said, in theory this is a much safer method but as long as the other methods work and safety precautions are taken they will work as well.

1967 Chevelle Custom
SBC 383
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Jerico DR-4
S60, True Trac, 3.54 gears

post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 09, 3:02 PM
Antti

Thanks Greg, very useful info. Perhaps the mods could make it a sticky thread. I'm in the middle of pondering whether to do it myself or take it to
a shop. Pls hurry with your installation thread

-64 Chevelle convertible
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 09, 6:20 PM
Tech Team
Fredrik

I write in this thread in stead of making a new one. One question when you put the spring back again it says in the Chevrolet manual (Chevelle -72) that the end of the spring should be over the hole in lower control arm. I have two holes in my lower control arm. How import is this and does anybody know witch hole it should be over. Take a look on my picture, it is right side of the car. Back is right on the picture. Hope you understand.

post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 09, 1:14 PM
Tech Team

you just want to get both springs somewhere between the 2 holes in each arm so they are close to the end of the pocket they rest in. If you were off a little and wanted to turn it in place, you could use a little oil on the lowest part of the tail and a good leather strap wrench around one of the middle coils. It looks like from your pic you are in between the holes already so if I'm seeing that right you shouldn't need to move it.
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 09, 4:38 PM
Tech Team
Fredrik

Thanks for the information Rickster182. A just found Tom Mobley stickey thread, he explain that the end of the spring should be between the two holes.

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 3:23 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Complete noob question: in picture #8, it looks as if your brake lines are disconnected. Is this a mandatory step in the spring removal process?

FWIW, I have front power discs.

Thanks, and great thread!
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 9:30 PM
rkd
Team Member
Ron

I would add to this thread that removing, and especially installing, front coil springs can be vastly different with stock springs and shorter or cut springs.

In both my Chevelle and in Fox Mustangs, a shorter, cut, or performance spring will be much easier to get out and in than a tall stock one. Stock ones are a bit-h and may be best done with an internal compressor. Note that I have snapped a 1/2 in threaded rod in an internal style spring compressor, and upgraded to 5/8 rod.

When removing the front ones from the Chevelle, which I have done twice, I have not used the chain. Both times, after getting the lower arm down, the spring stuck in the pocket with the jack all the way down.

Some careful crowbar work will just pop it out and it flops on the ground.

I stand at arms length with the jack when going up or down. I also like some 2x4 blocks to catch the arm if the jack leaves town in a hurry.

I would suggest removing the shock, sway bar links, etc before the ball joints. I don't like fooling with that stuff with a compressed spring near my fingers.

Going back in, I was able to put the spring in the upper pocket and control arm by hand with no compressor, then jack slowly.

I have tried the chain technique, and would, if possible run the chain down through the center of the control arm if possible, if you use that method.

66 Malibu Coupe, home rebuilt 350. Took me 39 years to get her!
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 6:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jim

So you loosen the upper castle nut but never take it off completely?

Jim
1965 SS
Quote:
PO was a POS
Brettd85: I feel so bad for datapusher, he just cant get a break with this car.
novaderrik: who the hell puts a car together like that?
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 10, 6:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by datapusher View Post
So you loosen the upper castle nut but never take it off completely?
This is to use the spring and car weight to help pop the balljoint taper out of the spindle. Once the BJ is popped, then you remove the castle nut and move on with lowering the floor jack lessening the tension of the spring, ect.

'69 SS396 - FiTech L33 swapped w/Muncie, 3.31 TrueTrac - VHX Gauges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
Being politically correct is kinda like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3332 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.