Upper Ball joints...? - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldcutlass

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 20, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Upper Ball joints...?

Hey All,

I have a 67 Chevelle (actually an El Camino but same front end) and I'm having a problem with upper ball joint boots that burst open.

I rebuilt my front suspension and used new bushings, new tie rod ends, ball joints etc....everything that can wear out.

I used TRW ball joints on top and bottom. The boots on the top ball joints burst even before the first lube job.... I replaced with a NAPA ball joint and the same thing happened. They look as though they've pulled apart along an horizontal line almost all the way around.

When I put them on the car aligns just fine and then after a while the boots just come apart. Is it possible that I'm not installing them properly? There seems to be only 1 way to install these things....so I can't see it as an installer error but I've been proven wrong before.]

Has anyone ever had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 6:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: Upper Ball joints...?

Pictures would help.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 7:12 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

I used Moog ball joints on my 71. I don't know if yours are made the same way but the boot should have a lip on the big end. The metal cup they go into has a rolled lip at the end of it that the lip on the boot should go up against. The boot should also have a bump with a slit in the side that should face inward. Also don't fill up the boot with grease to the point the boot looks like it's going to explode. If you can include a picture of the boot and metal cup with the boot installed in it.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 9:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Okay....my bad. I saw a crinkle in the boot and excessive grease and thought it was the same split boot problem as before. In fact what's happening is the boot is pulling out of the cup. You can see it if you look closely at the attached pictures. It's hard to get a good picture but I think you can make it out.

Please let me know if you see any issue that would indicate an improper install. The Left joint is a NAPA part and the right is a TRW.

Thanks....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right_TRW.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	634872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left_Napa.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	634874  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I quit using the NAPA ball joints a few years ago. I would either source some from Moog or get the ones from Proforged. The one from Proforged is nice, because you don't have to deal with the cup & boot - the boot is held in place another way.

https://proforged.autocaredata.com/items/101-10015

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 10:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Garage
Ummmm, those are not new ball joints.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Ummmm, those are not new ball joints.

Not in years but in miles. I might put 1000 miles a year on the car.....so they've been on there several years but few miles, relatively speaking....So they might have 15K on them.....but I noticed the problem quite a while ago....just now getting around to doing new brakes so I thought I'd look into the ball joints as long as I've got to get my hands dirty anyhow....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 20, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971-Chevelle View Post
I quit using the NAPA ball joints a few years ago. I would either source some from Moog or get the ones from Proforged. The one from Proforged is nice, because you don't have to deal with the cup & boot - the boot is held in place another way.

https://proforged.autocaredata.com/items/101-10015

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check into the Proforged....no cup & boot....that's interesting
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 12:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santacarl View Post
Thanks for the suggestions...I'll check into the Proforged....no cup & boot....that's interesting
There is a boot, but it is attached to the ball joint body with a retaining clip - no cup to mess with.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 1:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

The Moog ball joint boots have a boot that has to be installed in a certain direction so if the boots are overfilled the excess grease will release inwards away from the brake rotors but the pictured OE boots have no way to release too much grease unless they tear.
The pictured uppers are Original Equipment ball joints (factory) with their riveted uppers.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 2:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71350SS View Post
The Moog ball joint boots have a boot that has to be installed in a certain direction so if the boots are overfilled the excess grease will release inwards away from the brake rotors but the pictured OE boots have no way to release too much grease unless they tear.
The pictured uppers are Original Equipment ball joints (factory) with their riveted uppers.
If you blow the pictures up they do look like they were replaced you can see the metal cup is held in with bolts. For some reason the passenger metal cup looks strange. I agree with you they look like they have 100k on them with all the crud around them. Both boots are coming out of the cups though.

71 Malibu, Cottonwood Green, 396 BBC, AutoGear M22W 4 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
If you blow the pictures up they do look like they were replaced you can see the metal cup is held in with bolts. For some reason the passenger metal cup looks strange. I agree with you they look like they have 100k on them with all the crud around them. Both boots are coming out of the cups though.

Yeah they do look like they have 100K....but they have between 15-20K on them.... There is so much grease and gunk because, when I was lubing them, I kept adding grease as I looked to see the boot filling up with grease. I didn't realize that it was oozing out the top (on the opposite side from where I was). Consequently I didn't see the mess and allowed it to sit there and turn into the 'blob' you're seeing in the picture....
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 5:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Yeah they do look like they have 100K....but they have between 15-20K on them.... There is so much grease and gunk because, when I was lubing them, I kept adding grease as I looked to see the boot filling up with grease. I didn't realize that it was oozing out the top (on the opposite side from where I was). Consequently I didn't see the mess and allowed it to sit there and turn into the 'blob' you're seeing in the picture....
You basically overfilled the boot which caused your problem. Knock the ball joints loose, clean everything up, reassemble and pump a little grease back in.
71350SS likes this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 20, 8:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Go to Rock Auto dot com you can see what they look like on their site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKalin View Post
If Hank says he can see a bolted BJ and you say you replaced them, I gotta believe you both.but that still looks like a rivet not a bolt on my laptops screen.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in