UMI control arms - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

6Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich66
  • 1 Post By Tom Mobley
  • 1 Post By Rich66
  • 1 Post By Tom Mobley
  • 1 Post By Tom Mobley
  • 1 Post By senna

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 7:43 PM Thread Starter
Rich

UMI control arms

Guys getting confused on this end, nothing new there...……...talked to a few UMI reps, not sure im getting this straight.

I have a 66 Gto, yeah, I know not a chevy thing, but a lot more info here on umi stuff...…...im looking at getting the upper & lower a arms, one tech recommended the 4056-2 upper and the 4031 lower.

Then another tech recommended the 4031 lower & the 4056 upper for good handling & comfort...………..then another tech recommended for Best handling with slightly less comport 4032 lower with the 4056...900 upper bj.

Not sure about the poly vs the Delrin stuff...……….so another option was the 403133-1 poly bushing kit.

Other option was the 403233-1 kit with the Delrin lower...……..

They thought the .09 bj was overkill for the way I drive...………...just wondering if anyone had this stuff on their car, or could steer me in the right direction.

Im just wanting the car to drive like a more modern car...……..hope that helps.

Any info would be great...…….im not doubing the techs advice, just want to hear from people running these numbers if possible...……….

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 8:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage
Re: UMI control arms

I bought these and installed them on my 67 Chevelle in 2013 # 403133
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...front-arm-kit/
and love how they Ride/Handle on the Hwy or Street and Bends in the Road
even my Alignment Guy was happy about how easy they were to Shim them

At that time UMI Perf did not make the Adjustable Uppers
so if I were you I would get the Upper Adjustable # 4056-1 so no Shims needed for Alignment
and for Lower then get the # 4031

Or go hog wild with the # 403256-3 Kit

Ask / Talk to Ramey he provided me with great advise on what to buy with the way I use my car
[email protected]

And I am sure He/they will put the right kit together for you for a Kit Price
tell Ramey you were talking to Greg K. from Ottawa Canada
he has Pics of how my 67 car perfs with UMI Perf Parts

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 9:19 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Thank you Kirk...…….with those #"s you posted, they are similar to the 4056-2 upper & the 4031 lowers they recommended ……...so im taking it you have no preference between poly or Delrin bushings...………..looked into the 403256-3 kit...…….don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money for how I drive,. lol

I already bought the spc uppers last year # 94320...……….I have the 0.9 upper & lower 0.5 howe bj"s……….don't know why, just not sure this is the right way to go...……...don't like the idea of opening the frame holes to 1/2 inch, nbd, thought the umi stuff might be the better way to go here.

Thanks

Rich
Kirk's67SS likes this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 10:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

I have the adjustable uppers and they still required some shims. I think they will only benefit you if you have other issues with the car (sagging frame, lowered, etc.). Mine had to be adjusted all the way in. The SPC adjustable units are actually superior for alignment - you should need no shims at all. The taller upper ball joint will help correct the bad factory camber curve.

I personally would not run polyurethane bushings. Either run rubber (don't think you can to that with the aftermarket control arms) or the Delrin (the adjustable uppers use a heim joint - or rod end bearing - , but my lowers have the Delrin).

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 20, 11:09 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

I've got an idea, why don't you quit calling them and asking the same stuff?
Alwhite00 likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 3:09 PM Thread Starter
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
I've got an idea, why don't you quit calling them and asking the same stuff?
Now that is helpful advice, I call them to get some info on products, I get 2-3 different answers, I understand they are in the selling business so there gonna lean one way or the other...…...the reason I asked here is im assuming im getting some sound advice from people that are running these arms.

Maybe you could share your wisdom with me...……..and tell me "what I should ask them."

Rich
senna likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 7:33 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Sorry, didn't mean to come across as a jerk. Well, from time to time I am a jerk.

anyway here's what I would get:
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...lrin-bushings/ Their hardware kits call out 1/2" bolts so you may want to buy 7/16 bolts locally if you don't want to drill.

and
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...r-ball-joints/ the tall ball joints fix the camber curve, the a-arms themselves correct the positioning of the upper ball joint so you can use a modern front end alignment with lots of caster. The chevelle/A-body front end was designed before radial tires come out.

Caveat: I haven't gotten used to the idea of the tall lower ball joints. That ball joint is the most heavily stressed piece on the car outside the engine. I just haven't ben able to get enthused about canti-levering the load on it. Others may differ, I'm ok with that.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 20, 7:39 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Also, I would get the delrin stuff, it's good. Poly is softer and squeaks.
Kopfjaeger likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Rich

Hey Thanks Tom, sent you a pm before I seen your posts...…….gonna make sure I talk to Ramey just so I got this straight in my head.

Im thinking of going with this plan if it works.....I already have the spc uppers with the howe 0.9 bj……….then buying the UMI lowers and use the bj I already have now in their unit. Or just use the stock bj.

Don't really want to deal with SC&C anymore, I waited 4 months to get these arms last year, and that's without the virus going on, I got a better shot of dying before he sent me the lower arms. Even UMI said im waiting 4-5 weeks for their arms.

Would use my stock lowers, but with the 5.5 caster Mark suggests with his uppers, im thinking im running into tire rub issues with the stock lowers...…….not to mention when I get them off, who knows what shape there even in.

I'll get this straight yet. lol

Rich
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 11:29 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

I have the Stage 2 kit on my '66 shown here: https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...ering-stage-2/

If you order directly from them, they will let you add upgrades - I upgraded to the taller ball joints. I regret not upgrading to the adjustable upper arms as well, I would recommend this since it would make alignments a breeze.

Definitely a big improvement in the way it drives and I'm very happy with it!

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 11:59 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
Also, I would get the delrin stuff, it's good. Poly is softer and squeaks.
X2 even Poly body mounts squeak. I'd stay away from poly. She is a squeaking Ho

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 12:00 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Summit lists the SPC lower control arms with a ship date of 7/17.

I'm running the upper and lower SPC arms with the screw in Chrysler style Howe ball joints.

I understand not wanting to use SC&C, I had similar issues. But that doesn't discount the benefits or quality of the SPC parts.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Kopfjaeger likes this.

66 CHEVELLE
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 12:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I put the power tour package on the 66 I have. It rides and drives very nice and handles like it's on rails.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor

Best ET: [email protected] MPH

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 4:40 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry66 View Post
I regret not upgrading to the adjustable upper arms as well, I would recommend this since it would make alignments a breeze.
They really don't. You have to pull the side bolt completely out, tilt the control arm, adjust the heim joint in or out, then put it all back together. The SPC design is vastly superior for alignments.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 20, 10:58 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971-Chevelle View Post
They really don't. You have to pull the side bolt completely out, tilt the control arm, adjust the heim joint in or out, then put it all back together. The SPC design is vastly superior for alignments.
You know what? All this time I thought UMI had a similar design as the SPC arms but you’re right, I stand corrected!

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in