Chevy 10 bolt Gear Swap - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Chevy 10 bolt Gear Swap

Hey guys I am curious to how difficult and what is needed/required to do a ring and pinion gear swap? On a 72 gm 10 bolt 8.5 rear axle. Going from 3.08s to 4.56s.

Last edited by Tom Mobley; Jun 21st, 20 at 4:24 AM. Reason: spelling in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 11:33 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage
Re: Chevy 10 bolt Gear Sawp

This is one of those jobs that can be tricky even with the right tools, do you happen the have some dial indicators that you trust, torque wrenches, impact, air compressor, and a hydraulic press? I guess you don't need all that but it helps. But If this is a one time deal for you and if most of those tools are not worth buying cause you won't use them, It might be cheaper in the long run just to get a shop to do it.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 20, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

I'm curious though what are you aiming to do with a 4.56, even with a th700 and a 30 inch tire it's still going to put you at about 2500 at 70 mph.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay thanks. I might price out some shops. But the pickings are slim around here when it comes to a shop that you can trust. And if you can trust it, it's usually way overpriced if so. But I will give the benefit of the doubt and shop around. The car is a all steel except hood. Prostreet camaro. Not even close to a daily driver just a cheap fun little car. Wanting to take out here and there and cause some rucus
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 12:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobDean24 View Post
Okay thanks. I might price out some shops. But the pickings are slim around here when it comes to a shop that you can trust. And if you can trust it, it's usually way overpriced if so. But I will give the benefit of the doubt and shop around. The car is a all steel except hood. Prostreet camaro. Not even close to a daily driver just a cheap fun little car. Wanting to take out here and there and cause some rucus
Cant't go wrong causing a rucus with 4.56 gears. Back in the old days I used to use a windshield washer tank and pump to spray vegetable glycerin and water on the the tires, it made a whole bunch of smoke (if you don't believe me it's that stuff that makes the smoke in the vape juice these days) and it didn't mess anyone up like some did with the Clorox (though that was kinda cool too) (don't do that) . Not sure if this will help you any but it might help on a little tire wear....maybe. One thing I can say for sure is don't make a street car un-drive-able or useless on the street it will always be a thorn in your side and it's harder than you think to sell a street racer, but if you just want to make it fun lets talk.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 7:12 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

you'll need a different posi carrier for the 4.56. The 3.08 won't work with a 4.56.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 7:21 AM
Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
you'll need a different posi carrier for the 4.56. The 3.08 won't work with a 4.56.
No, he won't need a different carrier, first post says he is doing an 1972 8.5" 10-bolt. 2.73-up thru 5.13 all fit on the 3 series carrier in an 8.5".

2 series carrier is 2.56 and down.

The 8.5" doesn't use a 4 series carrier.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 7:30 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

Wow, that'snew to me.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 7:36 AM
Tech Team
Will

Quote:
If he does have an 8.5 10 bolt, I thought there was only a 2 series and 3 series carrier. I have always heard that a 3 series held a 2.73 and up. OP, if you do have an 8.5, I would still want to change to 30 spline axles if I were switching to 4.56’s, which would require changing to a 30 spline carrier anyway.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 7:04 PM
Tech Team
Eric

Need for 30 spline is going to depend on how hard he is going to run it.
I ran a 3600 lb car starting at 12.40's 1/4 mile morphing into 11.50's 1/4 mile over a 12 year period, probably 400+ passes and 25,000 miles of street use pulling 1.59-1.65 second 60 foot times using the stock 1973 28 spline axles and they still look fine, no twist....only reason I am now switching to 30 spline is I plan to go faster.

No need for 30 spline unless you really plan to lean on it, or if you have to buy both axles and carrier anyway during an upgrade to posi and gears. Use of a transbrake or a clutch and soft compound tires would be a factor here too.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 9:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

A 700R4 along with a 4:56 rear gear is VERY,,VERY BAD gear choice. WHY?
First gear in a 700 is 3:06. Your car will travel 6 or 7 feet and shift to second.
I have a 468 B.B. in my 70. I can burn the tires to the ground from a dead stop with my 700. I cruise the interstate at 75 MPH the 468 is spinning 1950 RPMs. My rear gear is a 3:07-12 bolt.
A 4:56 is a good gear for a drag car NOT a street machine. Do some research,,,,,,,,, Then spend your money.
Bob
blue_69_malibu likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 11:01 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinls5 View Post
A 700R4 along with a 4:56 rear gear is VERY,,VERY BAD gear choice. WHY?
First gear in a 700 is 3:06. Your car will travel 6 or 7 feet and shift to second.
I have a 468 B.B. in my 70. I can burn the tires to the ground from a dead stop with my 700. I cruise the interstate at 75 MPH the 468 is spinning 1950 RPMs. My rear gear is a 3:07-12 bolt.
A 4:56 is a good gear for a drag car NOT a street machine. Do some research,,,,,,,,, Then spend your money.
Bob
I agree, but he did say he wanted to cause a ruckus, how you going to spin those tires in 3rd with a 3.07
Just a joke btw.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 20, 11:17 PM
Senior Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Wow, that'snew to me.
Sometimes us young guys just have to learn on our own, thanks Dean.
mino65 likes this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 20, 4:28 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage
Re: Chevy 10 bolt Gear Swap

a 4.56 with a 700 will be like truck granny low. Bob knows whereof he speaks.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 20, 8:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: Chevy 10 bolt Gear Swap

For the na/sayers.......... My 4380 Lb. Nomad Sta. Wgn. with the ( very mild) 468 and a 700R4 along with a 3:07-12 bolt rear gear. Here is what I do know:
MY wagon from a dead stop will burn the tires down ( 225X70R X 14"-Red line radials.) While doing this the 700R will shift into 2nd ( the tires are still Smoking). While smoking the 225-radials in second gear, When it goes into third gear it starts to bog down and hook up.
From where I mashed down on the throttle and the tires started spinning & smoking The Wagon has moved almost 50--80 Feet. I thought this was so much fun, Untill I talked to a Transmission Guy. He said a stock G.M.-700R4 will do all of this magic stuff, Spinning and smoking tires, Shifting through THREE gears and exciting the folks watching. Here is the bad news.
This type of action will work, MANY,MANY times " IF " you have a BUILT, BULLETPROOF, RACING TYPE 700R4. A run of the mill 700R4 built by your buddy or a local tranny shop with stock parts and pieces will die a horrible death when it is treated in a mean spirited, wheel spinning, up/shifting fashion.
I have slipped my radial tires on the pavement once or twice,
In 47.000 miles. I know nothing about Auto trannys, But I do know a 700R4 is VERY similar to a T-350 ( a lot of the T-350 parts bolted directly to the 700R). To me its a T-350 with an O.D. unit. This tranny ( 700R4) was designed and used in the G.M. line of = V-6s and 305-V8s. (low torque & low H.P. Engines) My 700R has over 47.000 miles on it behind a 468 Big Block. GEE, Willerkers!!!! If ya wanna dance, Ya gotta pay the band...........
Bob
P.S.
Horse Power is a by/product of TORQUE. Torque will break things!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in