Tubular A Arms - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By 1971-Chevelle
  • 2 Post By Tom Mobley

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Tubular A Arms

is it worth the effort to install new Tubular Upper A Arms using the OEM Bottom A Arms and Coil Springs on a Big Block 72 El Camino?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 3:55 PM
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Tubular A Arms

It really depends on what you want out of the car as far as use. If you want to carve some corners, then some good quality aftermarket upper arms will enable you to align the car with more modern specs for modern handling. The lower a arms will be fine if they are in good condition bushing wise...

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 3:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bullet View Post
is it worth the effort to install new Tubular Upper A Arms using the OEM Bottom A Arms and Coil Springs on a Big Block 72 El Camino?
If you do it, be sure to get the 0.9" taller upper ball joints, as they will improve the lousy factory camber curve. The new uppers will also improve the caster, as long as you purchase quality name brand units (not the cheap Chinese crap).
-SS454- likes this.

1971 Malibu, factory buckets/full gauges/console, 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ open headers:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 20, 7:06 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

once again, UMI. did I mention UMI? their uppers will allow the modern alignment with 6-7 degrees caster.
Kirk's67SS and OneBadA$$68SS like this.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:13 AM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

I did Front Upper and Lowers from UMI Perf # 403133 on my 67 in 2013 and they have been working flawlessly since plus best Quality Fit and Finish I have ever seen
https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...dy-a-arm-kits/

I also put all new Upper Adj & Lower Boxed Rear Control Arms & F&R Sway Bars in 2010

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 20, 10:29 AM
Tech Team
Bryan

Yes it is worth it, as long as the new upper arms actually reposition the upper ball joint. Most of the reputable manufacturers do this, such as UMI, etc. but some of the cheaper tubular arms don't. Compared to the stock arms, the upper ball joint is a little closer to the firewall, and this is what allows you to get more caster when you have your alignment done. The revised geometry (not the fact that they are tubular) is what provides the greatest benefit.

I have the non-adjustable UMI arms on my car. Overall I'm very happy with them. I do my own alignments, and it would be way easier to dial it in without having to use shims. Plus, I can only shim them so much before I start hitting my headers. For these reasons, I'd get the adjustable arms if I could go back and do it all over again.

'66 SS Clone
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350 (for now)
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
UMI Stage 2 Suspension all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in