Installing Budnik wheel on stock column - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 20, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Tom

Installing Budnik wheel on stock column

I have the OEM steering column in my '66. I have the Budnik Chicane steering wheel and a LeCarra Hub Adapter Kit (B-26422) that was recommended by Budnik for it. What I can't figure out is how to attach the horn button correctly.

Attached are a couple of photos (don't know why they both rotated when I added them here); one with all of the parts I have and one a little closer up. I still have the OEM turn signal canceling cam installed...I'm assuming I continue to use that? At about 10 oclock on that cam is a tube that comes forward, with a copper spring inside. Do I keep both of these? I'm assuming so, as to maintain contact with the other copper parts. And the spring that slips over the shaft...keep it?

Then I have that red wire with the spring attachment that came with the LeCarra
hub adapter...do I use this at all? I can see how the one end that has the spade terminal that will fit within the underside of the horn button. But I'm not sure where to place the other end? And the black ground wire on the horn button...not sure where to attach that either.*

And I'm not sure if I still use those OEM parts to the right; the aluminum disc with the plastic insert...?

If anyone here has installed a Budnik onto the stock column, I'd appreciate any info to help me.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_212337.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	627670   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200522_212342.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	627672  

1966 Chevelle SS, 355 V-8, TH-350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 9:41 PM
Tech Team
Jason

There are some good videos on you tube.
I don’t remember how I put mine on. But I watched a video.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 20, 9:52 PM
Tech Team
Jason

The spring push’s agains the back side of the metal disc. Seems like it’s missing a pin. The red wire with the spring loaded pin pushes on the top side of the disc. The slotted hole goes over the tube. There should be a screw that grounds the horn cover to the adapter. I thought it was in the instructions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in