Team Chevelle banner

Level help

1K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  stanski 
#1 ·
Just installed new springs and shocks all the way around and my 67 Chevelle is still a half inch lower on the left side. Anybody know what I can do to level it out?

#13 ·
Sounds to me like you don't know the coil springs need to be clocked in. There are detents in the spring pockets that the blunt end of the spring sets into. If you didn't do this; then your spring is not located (rotated) properly.

On my 66, only the top of the rear spring gets clocked into a upper spring pocket. On the front - each end has it's own rotated location called out by locating holes. (you know you have the correct spring for your car because both ends will fall in according with their upper and lower locating holes.) Do a search on this forum and you'll find more detailed descriptions. :thumbsup:

I do not own a 67, but it wouldn't surprise me if the 67 spring pocket design is the same as a 66...

#7 ·
Sounds like you've got the infamous 'chevelle lean'! From what I've read on the web, literally hundreds of other a-body owners have this same problem, with few actually being able to figure out what fixes it.

My 67 has it too (1/2" in the back, 1/4" in the front). I put a 1" coil spring spacer on the low side in the back, which helped some. Not my preferred way to fix it, but it helped.

#8 ·
Whats condition of body bushings? You could tighten them on one side if needed doubt you would get a half inch though. You could also cut down the bushings or install shims to correct... never had a chevy that was straight by measurement thought. But.... where are you measuring from? Turn the car around and measure again and see if its the same, crooked driveways can mess you up.

#12 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.