Steering Box Advice - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Shawn

Garage
Steering Box Advice

Hi guys, I've read many posts about the Jeep boxes and the late model Camaro/Monte Carlo swaps. Honestly, I'm not interested in hose adapters and the other mods to retrofit. I would like to buy a bolt-on replacement that will reuse my current hoses (new), pitman arm and rag joint. I would like a quicker ratio and tighter feel. I know Lees and others make awesome $500+ units, but that's out of my price range.

I've read of mixed results with some of these manufacturers, but I don't remember seeing the model#s cited. Anyone have experience with these specific units? None of these list any specifics on the T-bar rating. All of these are available on Rockauto, which I've had awesome results with for other parts in the past.

Cardone (#276509; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (reman)
Lares (#974; 10:1 2-1/2 turns) (reman)
BBB (#N5030104; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (new)

Thanks in advance. You guys are always awesome and helpful!

Shawn

Mel0Yel068
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 12:34 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage
Re: Steering Box Advice

I am also interested in this discussion with my floaty 4.0 lock to lock 68 box. I also heard that steering turning degrees can be affected with different year boxes as well and the other details mentioned by Shawn. I agree $500 is too much$
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 2:38 PM
Senior Tech Team

JGC box has enough swing for a A body chassis. The Camaro and Monte SS do not. I know the JGC doesn't sound as glamorous as a Monte SS but it works, plain and simple. Also. I had a stock serpentine from a silverado in my 70 and the truck hose plugged in. I have a 6.0 in my 67 and that stock hose also bolts up.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 4:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Any advertised as 2-1/2 turns have stops in the box that will make your turning radius larger. For a Chevelle you'll need a pitman arm sweep of 88 degrees to keep your same turn radius. A 12.7:1 ratio of a JGC box will give 3.1 steering wheel turns lock to lock.

Actually other than the rag joint change the JGC box is a direct bolt in. The adapter are small tapered inserts that easily install into the fitting connections of the steering box. These allow you to reuse your stock hoses.

I don't believe you'll find a less expensive solution.
ACES1 and B52bombardier1 like this.

Jeff Evans
65 Chevelle, LS3/T56 transplant in progress
67 Chevelle, ZZ502, AFR 305, Straub Solid Roller, 400 Turbo, Moser Rear 3.42 gear
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 4:15 PM
Senior Tech Team

I think I paid $100 or something like that. Advance Auto. Used a 20% coupon. Gave them my old box for core. 3 turns lock to lock. I bought it probably 5 years ago.
lucifershammer likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.

70 (SOLD)

post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 4:57 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Any advertised as 2-1/2 turns have stops in the box that will make your turning radius larger. For a Chevelle you'll need a pitman arm sweep of 88 degrees to keep your same turn radius. A 12.7:1 ratio of a JGC box will give 3.1 steering wheel turns lock to lock.

Actually other than the rag joint change the JGC box is a direct bolt in. The adapter are small tapered inserts that easily install into the fitting connections of the steering box. These allow you to reuse your stock hoses.

I don't believe you'll find a less expensive solution.
Will any later chevelle or camaro boxes work. I remember my 74 Z28 wasn't bad, think it was a 2.8 box. I remember my 70 Buick GS was much quicker then my 68 box and I think it was 3.2. I really don't want to change the rag joint or pitman if I can get decent feel without going to a metric box. Thanks
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 5:01 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billdini View Post
Will any later chevelle or camaro boxes work. I remember my 74 Z28 wasn't bad, think it was a 2.8 box. I remember my 70 Buick GS was much quicker then my 68 box and I think it was 3.2. I really don't want to change the rag joint or pitman if I can get decent feel without going to a metric box. Thanks
Both the Camaro and Grand Nation boxes have internal stops that will limit the turning radius of the Chevelle body.
ACES1 likes this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 5:08 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
Both the Camaro and Grand Nation boxes have internal stops that will limit the turning radius of the Chevelle body.
Al,

Any later A body boxes worth a change to? This box is just so floaty with no road feel. I converted to power and spent some cash to get it to be stock and now its too stock
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 5:44 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

I also have a Jeep G.C. box on my 70 driver. It has been wonderful for over 44.000 miles, Steers like a go/kart. After it sits a while in the winter. The first drive in the spring is interesting,,,,, GOTTA get back to the feel and the QUICK STEER of the Jeep Box. Would I do this again.......... Hell YEA !
Bob
ACES1 likes this.

1970 SS LS-5/M-22 El Camino- Org. Owner-AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013
1970 ( FRAUD) SS 468 Station Wagon - Driver.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 5:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Quote:
Al,

Any later A body boxes worth a change to? This box is just so floaty with no road feel. I converted to power and spent some cash to get it to be stock and now its too stock
I wish I could remember all the combinations to get this done. I don't want to give incorrect info...This thread has all the info. Start at the backside and work to the front.https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...n-some-19.html

I wOULD get a JGC box. I know they work. You can get a power steering pump and the hoses of a 1981 Camaro and they will fit the box. No adapters needed. Or stay with your pump and get some hoses made to fit the JGC box and your current pump. There are numerous ways to skin this cat.
ACES1 and Billdini like this.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 6:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Al

Garage

Here's a list of the various boxes and specs. https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html
https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

Jeep boxes https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

Comes from Jim Shea's power steering tech articles https://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 6:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Iíve got the 27-6509 in my Ď72.

It works great. A little light on the steering. Itís perfectly acceptable and Iím happy with it.

But, because I can never leave things along, Iíve got some reduced flow and pressure fittings Iím going to try on it when I get a chance to see if I can make it a little heavier and see how that works.

More in this thread here:

https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...ering-box.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel0Yel068 View Post
Hi guys, I've read many posts about the Jeep boxes and the late model Camaro/Monte Carlo swaps. Honestly, I'm not interested in hose adapters and the other mods to retrofit. I would like to buy a bolt-on replacement that will reuse my current hoses (new), pitman arm and rag joint. I would like a quicker ratio and tighter feel. I know Lees and others make awesome $500+ units, but that's out of my price range.

I've read of mixed results with some of these manufacturers, but I don't remember seeing the model#s cited. Anyone have experience with these specific units? None of these list any specifics on the T-bar rating. All of these are available on Rockauto, which I've had awesome results with for other parts in the past.

Cardone (#276509; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (reman)
Lares (#974; 10:1 2-1/2 turns) (reman)
BBB (#N5030104; 2-1/2 -3 turns) (new)

Thanks in advance. You guys are always awesome and helpful!

Shawn
Jeff65SS likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:32 PM
Tech Team
Zach

Guy named Hector Carrillo on Facebook has awesome rebuilt quick ratio boxes that use all the factory lines. Put one in my 68, and it's great. Pricing is reasonable, $250 shipped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 6:01 PM
Team Member
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH MAX HEADWORK View Post
I wish I could remember all the combinations to get this done. I don't want to give incorrect info...This thread has all the info. Start at the backside and work to the front.https://www.chevelles.com/forums/16-...n-some-19.html

I wOULD get a JGC box. I know they work. You can get a power steering pump and the hoses of a 1981 Camaro and they will fit the box. No adapters needed. Or stay with your pump and get some hoses made to fit the JGC box and your current pump. There are numerous ways to skin this cat.
As always, you are very knowledgeable guy. Thanks Again
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 7:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Steve

Iíve been told simply reducing pressure and/or flow can make a huge difference in road feel with the stock ďturn the wheel with a pinkyĒ boxes.

I picked up this to give it a try first to reduce flow from 3gpm to 2gpm:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-cpfcv-k

Also picked this up to reduce pressure if just reducing flow doesnít help:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/brg-899001

If those donít work, then Iíll take more drastic measures (like put in a higher t bar box.)

Quote:
Al,

Jeff65SS likes this.

1972 Chevelle, 454, 200-4r non-lockup, 12 bolt 3.73
1981 Camaro Z28, 355, TH350, 3.73
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in