Wheel alignment specs with new Hotchkis Arms.. - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By modern malibu
  • 1 Post By OneBadA

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 20, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Wheel alignment specs with new Hotchkis Arms..

Just redid the front end of my 72 with new upper control arms, rebuilt lower arms, and new sway bars and had a question on whether -1.9 was too much for camber? This is for the right side and the drivers side is -1.6. As far as the shims, there are a few on the rear bolt on the right side and one or two on the rear bolt of the drivers side.

I got the car with Hotchkis springs and a full rear suspension, so I added Hotchkis upper control arms and both sway bars to complete the package seeing everything else was Hotchkis. I have 3.7 and 4.0 for positive caster and 0 for toe.Car handles great as well..

Just asking how much is too much? I know Hotchkis wants between -1 and -1.5 for the camber...

Thanks in advance guys...

72 SS 402/4 speed/Straub roller and a bunch of Duramaxes.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 6:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Re: Wheel alignment specs with new Hotchkis Arms..

no one??

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 20, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkrace View Post
Just redid the front end of my 72 with new upper control arms, rebuilt lower arms, and new sway bars and had a question on whether -1.9 was too much for camber? This is for the right side and the drivers side is -1.6. As far as the shims, there are a few on the rear bolt on the right side and one or two on the rear bolt of the drivers side.

I got the car with Hotchkis springs and a full rear suspension, so I added Hotchkis upper control arms and both sway bars to complete the package seeing everything else was Hotchkis. I have 3.7 and 4.0 for positive caster and 0 for toe.Car handles great as well..

Just asking how much is too much? I know Hotchkis wants between -1 and -1.5 for the camber...

Thanks in advance guys...
I think you answered your own question in bold... Too much is when the car won't handle well or you start to ruin tires.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

Thanks..I thought there was a numerical limit that should be adhered to. Iíve been seeing everything from +1 to -.05..

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 1:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

-1.9 degrees is a lot of camber for the street. What you could do is put some chalk markings on the edges and do some spirited driving and see how much it rolls over on the sidewall.

I run -0.75 degrees on my 15" tires and on the road course where I load the suspension FAR more than the street, I definitely could use more camber. I would say -1.5. On the street I don't think I would want to run that much as it might prematurely wear the inside shoulder.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 8:03 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

You usually start off with the generic alignment numbers and then tweak it here and there to get it were you like it..

I prefer very low camber usually .25 with a high caster usually 7 or 8. That way my car will track nice and straight on the highway without all that camber thrust from having the front wheels tilted so deeply, but when I turn that high camber is right there from having the caster set real high..

Also these cars have a KPI of 7 to 8 so you want to keep the caster slightly under that number as some gurus say..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 9:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I was thinking that itís a little too much myself. When I assembled everything back together, it had a negative camber with no shims anywhere. Iím thinking the rebushed lower a arms in combination with the new uppers really gives it a little too much. Hotchkis builds the upper with some negative camber, and I think itís adding a bit much...

I guess I donít have much of a choice other than to keep an eye on it and see what happens...I wonder if the UMi or Global West bars have this ďbuilt inĒ negative camber as well..

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:56 AM
Tech Team
Mark

Garage

If you have no shims anywhere as you have stated, You,re going to need offset control arm shafts to get this sorted out.This is usually caused by the frame sagging in the front crossmember. Adding shims is is only going to make the camber more negative. I wouldn't go more than .5 degrees negative on any street car as tire wear will be noticeable.
71350SS likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Front tire size also has a big effect on how the camber effects the handling.That much camber on a really wide tire and you will be up on the tires edge and it will wear quick .Get your camber down to about -.75 or .5 and get your caster up to around 5 degrees with the toe-in about 1/16th per side and you'll have a great handling car.
Doh I missed the part about "no shims" but after re-reading you said re-built lower control arms ? are they stock lowers ? I would call Hotchiss and ask if adding their lower arms would change that camber reading.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I had Glenn Lever rebuild the lowers with all Moog bushings and ball joints. Iím thinking that might of added a very small amount of negative camber due to the bushings maybe being shot. The Hotchkis arms has offset shafts but I need to grind the frame mounts for them to fit, so that might be an option. My stock uppers arms had two shims on the passenger front bolt...

I have 235/60/15 on 15x7 wheels if that matters...Iím beginning to think I have a touch of frame sag..

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 20, 11:43 PM
Tech Team
Zach

I have a UMI stage 5 kit on my car and went with the street performance.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
David Bates likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 20, 11:22 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

If your happy with the way it handles leave it alone..

I like the -.25 to 0 setting for street. I find that having very low negative camber settings lets my car track well on the highway. Then I have my positive caster cranked up to 7-8 and this gives me all the camber I want when I need my car to handle around the twisty's..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in