Power Steering Box Recommendations - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 9:27 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage
Power Steering Box Recommendations

Well my elco gave me an early birthday present last night. I came into the garage this morning and the power steering box has dumped all its fluid on the floor. This is the second time for that. The box is a JGC box, and has already been rebuilt once. It appears to be leaking out the column shaft seal. The last time it was rebuilt it was leaking out the bottom seal. I probably don't want to rebuild it again, and am considering a replacement box. There are lots on the market, and I know many have used Lee's, but wanted to hear from others here about their recommendations and experiences. Thanks

55 Chevy Resto Mod - Sold
99 Corvette - Sold
68 El Camino - L79 Tribute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 4:04 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Re: Power Steering Box Recommendations

Have had a JGC steering box in my 69 for close to ten years. IIRC it was obtained from Rock Auto. No leaks, no problems.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 20, 4:06 PM
Tech Team

Psc

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 9:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Contact Lee. Get one of there new 800 Series boxes that is fully blueprinted. I paid a little over $500 for mine, best money I ever spent on my car period!

I have a 14:1 with a 30 pound valve, it doesn't have that over assisted feeling most of these cars came with. I'm using a 13" steering wheel, if I had the stock steering wheel I might of were to the 12.7:1... My steering wheel snaps right back to center after making a turn just like a manual box.

https://leepowersteering.com/collect...aginaw-gearbox
Monkey likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 5:37 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Russ

Garage

Turn One -- you'll be glad you did.

'66 Chevelle w/ custom 6.2L Gen IV LS, E-Force, E67 ECU; LT headers, T56 Magnum; DSE suspension; Baer brakes
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 20, 9:16 PM
Tech Team
Rhys

X2 for Lee. I just for my 2nd one. First was for my 67. And now one for the 72. This one I upgraded a few things and had them set up the "weight" to 40, and it's 12:1.

Not cheap, but loved the last one, so decided to go again.

I also went with their ps pump and remote reservoir.
LeoP likes this.

Not smart enough to think of something funny.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

Both the Turn one and the Lee boxes look interesting. At least with the turn one there is no core cost and shipping etc. How big of an upgrade is either of these boxes over a standard Jeep Grand Cherokee box.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 2:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Bob in case you're thinking of using a used box out of a donor car there is a list somewhere that I can post when I find it.I'll look for it if you want.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
"I would rather have questions I can't answer than have answers I can't question" :R.Feynman
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Garage

John, thanks for that. I think the list is buried in the sticky in this section. I have seen the list before IRCC that is where I saw it. The elco currently has a JGC box in it, but I was considering a further upgrade, but with the Lee and Turn One boxes being relatively expensive I am trying to evaluate if the upgrade is worth the expense. I think I figured out what was leaking. I dropped the column down to pull the dash and that might have caused the input shaft seal to leak. I put the column back and refilled the reservoir and ran it around some, and it does not appear to be leaking. But then I wouldn't be surprised to find a puddle on the floor tomorrow morning either. These old cars can be cranky some times.

99 Corvette - Sold
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 20, 8:23 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Its any JGC from 1993 to 1998. Stick with a JGC, not the Jeep Liberty or Sport models. Those two models might work but nobody seems to have much info on their ratio, sweep angle or torsion bar.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 3:20 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
X2 for Lee. I just for my 2nd one. First was for my 67. And now one for the 72. This one I upgraded a few things and had them set up the "weight" to 40, and it's 12:1.

Not cheap, but loved the last one, so decided to go again.

I also went with their ps pump and remote reservoir.
Hi, which pump did you get, and where did you mount the remote reservoir?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 20, 10:03 PM
Tech Team
Rhys

The pump is Lee as well, and the Res is mounted to the side of radiator support.

Far enough away to protect it from heat, and they also put a return for the hydroboost.

Mike at Lee was awesome to deal with.

https://leepowersteering.com/collect...-1990s-gm-cars

Not smart enough to think of something funny.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 20, 6:07 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
The pump is Lee as well, and the Res is mounted to the side of radiator support.

Far enough away to protect it from heat, and they also put a return for the hydroboost.

Mike at Lee was awesome to deal with.

https://leepowersteering.com/collect...-1990s-gm-cars

Thank you!
I have been looking at that. I have Hydratech brake booster. Lee is building me a steering box now. I just couldnít find a good place to mount the remote reservoir. Iíll look again.
71350SS and hydro462 like this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 9:59 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinPA View Post
Both the Turn one and the Lee boxes look interesting. At least with the turn one there is no core cost and shipping etc. How big of an upgrade is either of these boxes over a standard Jeep Grand Cherokee box.
Bob the Lee is amazing. If we have the car cruises this summer, I'll look for you and let you drive my 69 el Camino. I guarantee as soon as you drive it a half mile you'll be ordering your Lee box.. There's nothing like it.. The wheel snaps right back to center after a turn, you feel the road and can make corrections much sooner there for more confidence inspiring..
You can have them set it to different levels of assist. I have mine set at 30 pounds which feeds back like a manual but is easy to park..
B52bombardier1 likes this.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 20, 12:07 PM
Tech Team
Rick

Hello,

Seriously, no joke here, you guys with the Lee steering boxes tell a convincing story and I may eventually have to get my original light-as-a-feather GM box modified by Lee. The JGC box is a vast improvement but you really have me believing that things could be better.

In the meantime, you Lee advocate folks could probably make a good living selling snowmobiles in south Florida.

Rick

1970 El Camino under Reconstruction - 5.3L LS VORTEC Engine and 4L60E Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in