Brakes lines close to exhaust - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 9:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Juan Ma

Brakes lines close to exhaust

Hi everyone!

Today, when I was checking the brakes fluid, I realize that the front brake fluid socket had a darker colour. I think that it could be because the brakes lines are to close to the exhaust.

I have reading about this, some people say that is the brake line is too hot, brake fluid could boil.

I leave photos of the difference between each fluid socket and the distance between brake lines and exhaust.

Do you think that brake line is too close? It could be a problem if the fluid become too hot?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200223_131718_1582469438920.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	617434   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200223_131952_1582469447965.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	617436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200223_131947_1582469655114.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	617438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200223_131930_1582469681043.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	617440  

Name:	IMG_20200223_131915_1582469690078.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	617442  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 4:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ed

Garage
Re: Brakes lines close to exhaust

Looks fine to me but the copper tubing is a problem.
hydro462 likes this.

Ed

70 El Camino SS 396
68 GTO (Thanks Mom)
06 Silverado
07 SRX
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 20, 4:50 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

it doesn't look too close to me but you can buy heat shielding material to put around it. BTW did you install that brake line or did a previous owner? If that's copper line that's no good but if it's cunifer, that stuff is supposed to be superior since it's a 90/10 copper/nickel alloy which is used on the late model Porsches right from the factory....and it's very easy to work with since you can bend it by hand without even using any bending tools and it won't kink.....

Fedhill brake line - Where to buy brake line, fuel line, brake line flaring tools, brake line nuts and brake line fittings
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cunifer.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	617466  
Blown1932 likes this.

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 5:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Juan Ma

Why copper is a problem?
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 7:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanij0 View Post
Why copper is a problem?
I wouldn't trust straight copper for brake line. Way too soft. If you ever ran over anything on the road and it kicked up against that copper brake line, that stuff will be broken much easier than stainless steel or 90/10 copper-knickel would. It would be a rare occurence that something hits your brake lines, sure, but it would only take one time for catastrophy to strike, and you're puting your life on the line with copper brake lines, ad maybe other lives too if you cannot stop.

What in the world made you use copper for brake lines? I've never even heard of that. Is that some old school thing left over from the 1940's?

70 Chevelle SS clone (632 CI powered).
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 7:47 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Why copper is a problem?
It is not rated for the pressure created in an automotive brake system. So it could easily fail, especially when needed the most.
427L88 and hydro462 like this.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 9:28 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Juan Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyGman View Post
What in the world made you use copper for brake lines? I've never even heard of that. Is that some old school thing left over from the 1940's?
A professional mechanic told me that copper was a good choice for old cars.

If you said that is not a good choice and could cause a failure I will change it. Níquel - Cooper is that I need? Here, in Spain I can buy it in Amazon (image attached).

I have power disk front and rear drum, but I don't know the recommended size for front and rear brakes. Somebody know it?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20200224_152523_com_1582554659854.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	617540  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:05 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

I believe from the factory they came with 1/4 inch for front disc brakes and 3/16 for rear drum brakes.
Not sure if you are aware but several companies offer pre bent brake lines for Chevelles. There is sstubes.com, right stuff detailing, classic tube and another I dont recommend which is inline tube. Inline Tube is not a good company IMO but thats another story. They are available in complete sets or partials. One can choose either mild steel or stainless steel. Cost for a complete set of prebent lines is around $175.00. I know the bend your own is cheaper but the prebent is plug and play. Maybe the cost of shipping is too much but sometimes items such as this are available on Amazon.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 12:57 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Looks like " The Right Stuff " is sold on Amazon. Not sure if this is right set for your car but you could find set on their website and see if sold on Amazon.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 1:04 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Juan, my son and I just replaced all the copper lines on a 91 Toyota Hilux, which were also held together with compression fittings, like the kind you would use for a water line. They're good for maybe 2 bar, NOT 10! 20 psi, not 800!

So copper doesnt make me crazy as long as proper FLARES are used to seal it. Sure copper can balloon some under pressure, so STEEL is always preferred.

Please check to ensure no one used compression fittings on that copper line. It can kill you under extreme pressure!! A compression fitting uses a barrel or ferrel to compress on, and a flare fitting uses the metal itself. Copper is so soft, it would be easy to flare it, but it would not hold the same pressures as a steel flare. Please remember that line pressures under hard braking can be 1000 psi. Copper isnt made to hold that kind of pressure. The Nickel/Copper line will tho.

That new "green" stuff is really easy to bend and flare btw, I believe its the nickel/copper you mention. Its what we used. Easier than standard steel line. Wont corrode either.

The feed line that goes to the rear is a LARGER line. I'm thinking 3/16" front, and it may be a 5/16" feed line to my rear brakes.

Brakes are THE most important system on a car!

PS I did order a front line for my 67 from the local guys, CLassic Tube...... brother it has 54 bends in it!. There is NO WAY I could have done it with the engine in the car. And maybe no way I could have even on a bare frame! 54 chances to make a mistake!

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 4:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Juan Ma

Thanks!! I'm looking for flaring tools for both lines, copper/steel for sure. The problem is I don't know how have to be the nuts for double flare. I think that the nuts that I have installed should be ok for the new installation
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 6:26 AM
Tech Team
Pugsy

Quote:
Thanks!! I'm looking for flaring tools for both lines, copper/steel for sure. The problem is I don't know how have to be the nuts for double flare. I think that the nuts that I have installed should be ok for the new installation

Yes, you can reuse the nuts on the new line.

PUGSY 69 El Camino 5.3 Swap, 4L60e, 3:73 Posi
6.0L cam, 4.8L Flat Tops, 243 Heads

Fun, but not fast....14.7 @ 93.2 MPH
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 7:00 AM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Yes, you can reuse the nuts on the new line.
As long as they are not the compression type. OP needs to DOUBLE flare the new lines and use the appropriate fittings.
123pugsy likes this.

Tighten it till it strips and back it off a quarter turn.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

70 (SOLD)

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 7:19 AM
Tech Team
Jason

Working strength of 1/4 drawn k wall copper (Hvac copper) is just under 1800 psi if it’s annealed it’s around 900 psi. You have annealed copper. Hard drawn copper can’t be bent unless it’s annealed.
If you used 1/4 annealed L wall copper(aka water line) working is 775 psi. Do you have power brakes? Because they put out more pressure then 775psi. Burst is a lot higher.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 20, 9:10 AM
Steve

I have been in the mechanics trade for a good 45 years, and never heard of copper being an option. IMO if I thought of using copper, I would give away my tools and go to a desk job. SS or go home, someones life will depend on this. Just saying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in