SPC adjustable upper control arms - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

4Likes
  • 3 Post By Volks
  • 1 Post By Hotwire

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

SPC adjustable upper control arms

Hi All,

the SPC 94320 control arms take 1/2 bolts. Does anyone know where I can buy 1/2 knurled control arm bolts? I realize I can just use regular grade 8 bolts without the knurling, but I think it's nice to have the knurled like the factory. I looked but couldn't find any.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 10:36 PM
Tech Team
Don

Garage
Re: SPC adjustable upper control arms

The knurled bolts are nice when you're installing shims for alignment. The spc ones don't use shims so it doesn't need that kind of bolt. All adjustment is in the threaded arms. I say put some nice gold grade 8 bolts in there. I have them on my 68 Camaro.

Don
-SS454-, hydro462 and traveler like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 8:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

You're putting aftermarket, fully adjustable upper control arms on your car that you can plainly see from the engine bay and you're worried about the look of bolts? Just go grade 8 man. The knurled bolts were due to the upper a-arm blocking the bolt head. The SPCs are fully open, you can easily access the bolt heads no problem. As Volks stated above, you won't need to touch the bolts after you install them as you won't need any shims.

Good luck!

And yes, I installed mine myself. Used a habor freight step drill to open the holes up for the 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I put the nut and lock washer on the outside of the frame so all you see if the bolt head from the engine bay.

hydro462 likes this.

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 9:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

My front end was making all kinds of weird noises and it was the factory bolts they weren't big enough. I drilled out the attachment points for the upper control arms at the frame for 1/2". I put new SAE 8 bolts with the right size shank so the control arm is not supported on the weaker threads, then cranked them down to 100 ft lbs and all is well.. I did have to adjust the thread depth with washers but only one on each bolt..
Also, those connecting bolts on the SPC arms need checked and usually tightened every couple months..

My front end was making a weird snapping sound with the smaller factory bolts holding the upper control arms on.. I was sure it was a cracked spring but nope I lucked out..

Jeff, I see your SPC uppers don't touch the frame either when up in the air.. Many say there's hits the frame.. I am using Bilstine shocks..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front rotor (right)...JPG
Views:	10
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	617538  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

The SPC's usually will hit the frame when the sway bar is not attached. I would assume it could still happened during fast extension with the front wheels on, such as a hard launch at the drag strip.

1971 Chevelle SS454, T56 Magnum 6 speed, 3.31 Posi

Youtube Channel.

Instagram:

Twitter:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 20, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro462 View Post
...Jeff, I see your SPC uppers don't touch the frame either when up in the air.. Many say there's hits the frame.. I am using Bilstine shocks..
I'm using stock style Gas-A-Just shocks and am surprisingly happy with them with cruising and digging in. The arms do hit the frame on full extension, lowers were on jackstands in that pic. I don't understand why people are so worried about the a-arm resting on the frame?

*Jeff*

Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
LQ4 / T56 Swap

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 20, 7:57 AM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I'm using stock style Gas-A-Just shocks and am surprisingly happy with them with cruising and digging in. The arms do hit the frame on full extension, lowers were on jackstands in that pic. I don't understand why people are so worried about the a-arm resting on the frame?
I know a few people who like those Gas-A-Just shocks, the couple times I tried them they leaked but that was in 2003-04, a long time ago...

It's really no big deal that the control arm touch's the frame. After all, for what those adjustables do for handling its well worth it.. I'm going to change my positive caster to 7-1/2 left, 8 right this summer, while lowering the negative camber to .25....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in