Rebuilt my power steering pump and JGC box... wheel is too stiff - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Don B
  • 1 Post By Cam

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 1:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Send a message via AIM to 69velle
Rebuilt my power steering pump and JGC box... wheel is too stiff

Hello all. I plunged into you tube videos and chassis manuals to guide me in rebuilding my old pump and a junkyard JGC box. I’m having a problem with my wheel being stiff to turn and not returning to center easily.

When I rebuilt my 1969 pump, I used an outlet union and pump control valve from an 80’s cutlass I believe for the pressure to work with the Jeep box. The rest of the rebuild seemed smooth and don’t have any leaks or weird noises when i drive.

For the gear box, the rebuild seemed fine and i swear I paid attention to the initial adjustment plug being around 6 in/lb of drag and then the over center adjustment being about 6-7 in/lbs more, careful not to exceed 18 total in/lbs. again no weird leaks or noises.

I did bleed the system before startup by hand turning the wheels until no more bubbles and would assume after driving it for a little while the rest of the air would make its way out.

Can anyone give some pointers for where to start looking or tests to try to narrow down my stiff steering and wheel not returning? I’m not sure if the pump isn’t providing enough pressure or maybe i messed up the gearbox?

Thank you

1969 Malibu
EFI 383/700R4/3.55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 8:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Don

Re: Rebuilt my power steering pump and JGC box... wheel is too stiff

Do you have any power assist? I remember when I did mine I replaced the pressure relief valve assembly with one from a 4WD S10 pickup per the research I'd done. When I assembled the valve and installed it in the pump I had no assist? After chasing my tail for awhile and retracing my steps I found that I'd put the O ring in the valve assembly in the wrong location,put it where it belonged and bingo,off to the races. Just my 2 cents worth.
Pioneer4x4 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 10:35 AM
Tech Team
Stan

Does the Jeep box have a sector shaft adjusting screw? If so, might have to back that off a bit. If not, the volume (not pressure) out of the pump may have to be increased. If you have a spare, remove the outlet fitting from a pump (the big nut at the back) and drill out the hole in the valve a bit larger to increase volume, and see what happens. But not returning to centre is usually a sector shaft misadjustment.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Send a message via AIM to 69velle
Yes it does have some level of power assist. I’ll confirm my o-ring placement anyway as it’s a place to start.

It does have the adjustment screw. I’ll try backing that off, is there a way or a symptom while driving to look out for to make sure I didn’t go too far?

1969 Malibu
EFI 383/700R4/3.55
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 11:54 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

As an aside, you can check out Jim Shea's website: Jim Shea?s Steering Papers
Jim is JIML82 on Team Chevelle, though he hasn't been on in years. He is a retired engineer from the Saginaw division (power steering & gears).
David Bates likes this.

"The more you know,
the more you realize there is that you don't know." - Dad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TC Gold #120

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 20, 8:37 PM
Tech Team
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69velle View Post
Yes it does have some level of power assist. Iíll confirm my o-ring placement anyway as itís a place to start.

It does have the adjustment screw. Iíll try backing that off, is there a way or a symptom while driving to look out for to make sure I didnít go too far?
Back off the screw and if it returns to centre that was the problem. Then tighten till it doesn't return to centre, then back off a wee bit and lock it there, that's the sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in