1970 Chevelle Upper and lower control arms - Chevelle Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions & more.

16Likes
  • 2 Post By oldcutlass
  • 2 Post By Malibu70
  • 1 Post By Kirk's67SS
  • 1 Post By cuisinartvette
  • 1 Post By hydro462
  • 3 Post By UMI Tech
  • 2 Post By shovelrick
  • 2 Post By s1nemesis1s
  • 2 Post By shovelrick

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 20, 3:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

1970 Chevelle Upper and lower control arms

Looking at these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/350457199342

I have a set of EIBACH PRO-KIT SPRINGS (SET OF 4) 68-72 SKYLARK / CHEVELLE / 442 / CUTLASS / GTO / LEMANS / TEMPEST - Manufacturer Part Number 3856.140. These springs are supposed to lower the car 1 inch on their own.

These control arms talk about:
“The geometry features include additional positive caster and a dropped spring pocket (approx 2" lower) compared to stock. The conventional lower coil spring pocket features a stamped steel pocket with a positive spring locating feature and nutserts for the shock lower attachment.”
I am still learning - I am sorry if this seems like a stupid question – but would these lower the car more?
Any good advantage over stock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 20, 3:50 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: 1970 Chevelle Upper and lower control arms

Yes they will lower the car. In addition you get what you pay for, I would not put those on my car based on reports of similar ones failing for 1 reason or another. Compare similar items of other brand for price and how they are constructed..
Kirk's67SS and s1nemesis1s like this.

You're just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2007 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 20, 4:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcutlass View Post
Yes they will lower the car. In addition you get what you pay for, I would not put those on my car based on reports of similar ones failing for 1 reason or another. Compare similar items of other brand for price and how they are constructed..
Ouch! I will be careful then. I already have a good set of ball joints, I was going to replace the ones that came in these if I bought them. But if they are structurally unsound - no good at all! I would like a 3-inch drop I think, my Chevelle rides really high in the front...but this sounds like it might be dangerous.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 20, 4:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Frank

Garage

I see you have new springs and are looking for replacement control arms. The arms I want for my ride are the UMI tubular control arms with taller upper and lower ball joints. ($1400). These would improve the camber gain during cornering.

An option would be to retain the factory control arms, and install adjustable coil-over shocks to set the ride height to your liking. One product line is the QA1 stock mount coil-over system ($600). These can lower the front suspension height, but would not help the geometry of the factory arms that tilt the outside tire when cornering.
shovelrick and s1nemesis1s like this.

-Frank
1970 Chevelle Malibu purchased new in 1970
355 SBC, XE262H cam, Performer RPM heads, MSD HEI, TH200-4R trans, 3.55:1 Posi, digital gauges, QA1 coilovers
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 20, 9:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
Greg.

Garage

Agree with Frank about the UMI Perf Tubular Front Control Arms
as I bought their # 403133 Kit in 2012
and also bought the Viking DA Coil Over Kit # A205 from them

https://www.umiperformance.com/home/...-72-gm-a-body/

Great Ride/Handling and adjustablety of Ride Height/Stance
s1nemesis1s likes this.

67 Chevelle Malibu SS Cdn
Born 283 / PG / A51
468/TH400 2,500 stall/ S60 3.70 Gs
Prev Best on M/T ET S/S #3454 street Tires/Dress 2018/05/20
60' = 1.664
1/8 = 7.532 et / 91 mph
1/4 = 11.814 et / 115 mph
NEW Best with 3,500+ Stall TC 2019/09/08
60' = 1.547
1/8 = 7.311 et / 91.76 mph
1/4 = 11.595 et / 114.28 mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 4:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Here is the response I got when I inquired:

Hi Donald!

Thank you for asking questions! These parts were manufactured in Taiwan and India. The brand is A-Resto-Parts. They meet or exceed all OEM Specifications. The are based upon the same molds and specs as Moog. If you would like to use them and if you need any replacement. We replace all parts from the date of purchase. If you would like to return them and get a refund, that is also an option. We haven't heard of any of our kits being dangerous or heard of anything dangerous happening while the car was operating, but if you would like to send the parts back, that is fine too. Please let us know what you decide.

Thank you

Jake
Andersen Restorations
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 5:08 PM
Senior Tech Team

We havent heard back from any of the fatalities, 100% rating!
s1nemesis1s likes this.

Quote:
Freedom is not caring what others think of you
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 20, 5:44 PM
Senior Tech Team
Jeff

You want to check out the SC&C arms. The owner is an engineer who worked with Howe so his SPC arms can accept Howe regular and tall ball joints. They are some of the best joints in the business. They come apart and can be rebuilt so they last the lifetime, they can also be adjusted.. Only thing is Mark can be slow..
s1nemesis1s likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1nemesis1s View Post
Looking at these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/350457199342

I have a set of EIBACH PRO-KIT SPRINGS (SET OF 4) 68-72 SKYLARK / CHEVELLE / 442 / CUTLASS / GTO / LEMANS / TEMPEST - Manufacturer Part Number 3856.140. These springs are supposed to lower the car 1 inch on their own.

These control arms talk about:
“The geometry features include additional positive caster and a dropped spring pocket (approx 2" lower) compared to stock. The conventional lower coil spring pocket features a stamped steel pocket with a positive spring locating feature and nutserts for the shock lower attachment.”
I am still learning - I am sorry if this seems like a stupid question – but would these lower the car more?
Any good advantage over stock?
Good morning. Ramey here from UMI.

Thanks above, guys!

Our lower arms have the bucket in the stock location and have the ball joint moved forward ever so slightly to add caster. Our upper arms have a more aggressive balljoint relocation and really ups the caster (+2-3 deg nominal over stock). We also have tall ball joint selections for those arms.

For drop buckets in a-arms there's an attribute called motion ratio. A little bit at the bucket yields roughly double that at the fender. I'd imagine the offshore ones have around a 1" difference that gives the 2" outboard.

I'm happy to help with any tech questions you may have.

[email protected]

rw

UMI Technical Support

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

814-343-6315

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 20, 8:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

OP those look very similar to the CA's I bought from ebay before I knew any better, I've replaced my ball joints with proforged and had to replace the rubber cushion because of a leaking MC (they use to come with rubber now they look like poly) speedtech was the only place I could find the correct size replacement cushion and in poly, my guess is those are made by speedtech no bashing here and I'm happy now that I've changed BJ's but if I were to do it again I'd go with a more known company like UMI (I have their sway bar) or something similar in quality, mine also had a removable 1/4" alum plate under the cushion to drop the front another 1/2"

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 20, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you all - including UMI! I will save some pennies and buy UMI when I can - it's worth it from reading here. I am debating though if I want to dump a bunch of money into my 4 door this way - or wait and get a 2 door and do it to that one. Right now I love my 4 door, but I know if I need to sell it....being a 4 door - as silly as it is - hurts the car So I am afraid to spend any money that won't benefit me directly on this car. At the same time the safety of others on the road as well as myself and my family is paramount - so I will wait and buy quality. I don't want to end up being one of the unreported fatalities LMAO! I just hope by the time I ready/can buy a 2 door project car I will be able to afford to buy it - and spend years working on it.
RAIDER SS and Kirk's67SS like this.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 20, 4:10 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage

Crew cabs are cool too one that's well done would be worth more for resale with quality upgrades/parts, specially steering, brakes & suspension parts IMO

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 5:06 AM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

UMI is known good stuff. put it on your 2-dr. 4-dr (IMO) is not worth doing this kind of stuff to. just update with new stock stock stuff. one thing you can do is put a 1.25" front anti-roll bar on the front. it's easily moved to the the 2-dr when you get it. Big difference in the car.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 20, 9:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mobley View Post
UMI is known good stuff. put it on your 2-dr. 4-dr (IMO) is not worth doing this kind of stuff to. just update with new stock stock stuff. one thing you can do is put a 1.25" front anti-roll bar on the front. it's easily moved to the the 2-dr when you get it. Big difference in the car.
I don't have a 2 door yet to work with - I have the 4 door and will probably have it for the foreseeable future - I think she is cool. I would like a 2 door to work on, but I just cannot afford one right now (or any more cars lol). I can start looking next year about this time, I just hope I can still afford to buy a project car then - I don't think the 2 doors will skyrocket that much. I will be looking for one that is whole - it can be missing the motor and drive train, and have some rust, I just don't want a rusted out total hunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in